Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad radio reception with LED headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
I had the same issue. Picked up a pair of ferrite chokes for the road glide, and it works fine now.
Are the chokes that you used the type that just clamp around the wire lead? In this case I guess they need to be installed on the headlight wiring.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

my led has a cooling fan...(could that be the rascal running interference with reception?)
I dunno ,I listened to the radio on my way in from werk.n Here is the led bulb that I used, plug and play btw, although I had to fabricate a hold down for the replacement bulb housing that fits into the h-d glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201459974167...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Street Glide Special. I'm just starting out seeking the "halo" look in my LED Headlight swap project and purchase a unit listed below with very noticable interference and thus far the following is also what I have checked or done at the suggestion of some fine folks. I posted the thread below several weeks ago with the following and have since returned the eaglelites.com LED Headlight, however, have retained the turn, stop and brake signal LED's putting the OEM Halogen back in. Since the ground check efforts below I've I read and have received some replies to my forum post about ferrite chokes, replacing or relocating the antenna wire, perhaps I'll try those ideas. At this time, however, the Eaglelites.com has graciously accepted return of the product and refunded my purchase price less freight and I have ordered a Kuryakyn 2460 Orbit to climb up the price tree to see if increased pricing also increases quality and resolves my reception issue. I'll let you know and please if you've found a solution by all means let me know since this is a relativly old thread.

The following is an email I sent to Eaglelites.com as well as Law Abiding Biker.com asking for suggestions to rectify my decreased radio reception issue after installing their LED headlight product. Eaglelites initial solution was that it was a grounding issue which I addressed below then submitted the result. Their secondary solution now is replacing it with a "non-halo" LED headlite. Law Abiding Biker's suggestion is to unplug each new component (I also installed LED turn/hazard/brake lights) until the faulty component is rectified which I'm pretty sure is the headlight. I like the look of the halo headlight so I'm simply reaching out for ideas or suggestions if someone else has experienced this and what your solution may have been. Thanks!!!

Referencing an Eaglelites.com Order back in late september early october I received and installed some lighting products onto my 2014 HD Street Glide Special. It was after the ((Eagle Lights 7" LED Headlight Halo Ring for Harley Davidson Motorcycles Daymaker × 1 (9100B)
Black / Adapter Wire / No Adapter Ring)) LED headlight installation that I noticed a vast difference in my radio reception with the headlight on vs with the headlight off both inside my garage as well as outside. I sent a couple of email requests to eaglelites regarding the issue and was advised that it most likely was a grounding issue. I have since removed the ferring front section, headlight, seat and battery tracing wiring and locating grounds. I found no grounding points under the ferring. I found two grounding studs on the frame just forward from the battery, removed the wires then cleaned the connection points at the stud bases and wire loops with an abrasive cloth then reattached. I also did the same with the battery cable connections and posts to ensure clean and proper connections.

Even with all of this I continue to experience the decreased reception in my FM stations with the ignition switch in the run positon, running and not running yet when I position the ignition switch to the accessory position both inside and outside of my garage the reception is 10 fold better, strong and what I feel is as it should be all the time.

Any additional suggestions and are there ground locations that I have missed?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Replace the Eaglelite product with a different product that doesn't produce the rf emissions is probably going to be your only way to resolve the issue. China products aren't very well regulated for rf interference emisions.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 AM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was allowed to return the Eaglelites L.E.D. headlight that caused me so much grief with my radio reception for a full refund minus shipping. Super company to work with, however, the product didn't work for me. In turn I purchased a Kuryakyn Orbit 7" Halo light #2460 and finally installed it this past saturday then made the adjustments inside my garage. Instructions were a bit shaky toward the end of installation and getting the OEM HD trim piece secured to the new base plate was a bit of a challenge. There's a bit of electrical wiring connection work to do and the instructions were not clear about that either with the ground wire. I installed the adapter harness and tried the light then compared the radio reception on/off/high/low/halo sequences and found that the light and halo illuminated without connecting the black "halo" ground wire to a vehicle ground. I was quite happy that my FM reception had returned no matter what sequence I tried with the exception of one weaker station on high beam. Once I completed the install and assembly I turned on my radio inside my garage and BOOM!! I had all my stations that I have with the original OEM halogen light!!! I'm extatic,,,,,,there was only some slight interference on a weaker station inside my garage but the improvement was awesome and I still have the halo look that I wanted. I caught a 47 degree day yesterday and was able to do a 30 mile road test on both a new windshield and the radio reception, it was so good to be able to listen to my FM stations again!!!! I may just order a ferrite choke on my next amazon order simply to "finish off" the little bit of interference that is there but again, the Kuryakyn light seems to have corrected my issue. Persistence and perserverence prevales and I didn't have to purchase that $4-500.00 light. And I like my Freedom Shields windshield too!!!
Thank you so much for all the replies with suggestions, tips and tricks!!!!

Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradsdad
It's an aftermarket, Brand is CAMT, I installed it myself, came with a LED CANBUS, i'm thinking its some type of resister. when I unpluged it, radio works the way that it's susposed to, wondering if theyre is some kind of filter that I ca install to make it work the way it should.
You get what you pay for ,***** knockoffs....