Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbi flush mount axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fbi flush mount axle problem

Ordered in a new fbi flush mount axle kit to go along me my new chrome lowers. During installation of the axle torque spec is 50ft lbs. Got to about 38 when I heard something pop. The axle pushed right through the chrome cover. Anyone ever had this problem?

The kicker is removing that cap with the knurls it chipped my chrome. I'm at a loss for words any ideas?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:11 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

Bump please

Old 04-18-2016, 04:24 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would call FBI and ask them. Is that torque spec what the FBI instructions called for?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

I called them and they have seen it... said the instructions I got were wrong and the torque spec was 25 ft lbs for the axle which seems a little low for me

Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Are they sending you a replacement for the cover?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:32 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

They are sending me a replacement cover I asked for a replacement axle kit. And then I sent them pics of the damaged lower fork asking what's up with this.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like the cover will hide the chipped chrome. Maybe spray some clear paint to prevent further corrosion of the now bare aluminum. If you went to 38lbs. before it cracked maybe you could push the torque to 30?? I had purchased a kit just like this one but did not like the the bushing that needed to be pressed in as it blocks access to the lower fork screw and would need to be pulled for service. I think the torque recommendation was 25lbs. I went with the Yaffe Yaxle and am happy with it.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:14 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I've seen that happen. Next time use a dremel debur tool and remove the chrome around the lip of the hole and also inside the hole so the insert doesn't crack it and make it lift like that.

25 pounds is fine as the next step is to clamp the axle with the other fork end. It will never twist.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:05 AM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

Anyone else have this problem? I have been in contact with fbi and they seem to know of the problem hence why they changed the torque spec. They are unwilling to do anything for me but send out another cap. I'm a little gun shy now to install this product again and have more damage done to my leg. They are blaming me saying I must have done something wrong or a poor chrome job. Anyone who has installed these knows they are pretty easy and idiot proof.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

I have used a bunch of them. But to be honest never read directions. It's pretty clear when u have it in your hands that it can't be torqued to 50ft lbs. the chrome issue is something u have to own......every set of legs is different. Yours look to have been done by a good chromer as lots of copper. But at 50 lbs of torque? You would have to buy a new cap every time u removed the front axle. Grab a new cap and put it behind u. Hey u won't do it again. lol

Quick Reply: Fbi flush mount axle problem