Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbi flush mount axle problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 AM
convertedrocket
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand just wish someone actually stood behind their product now a days. What would you think would be a good torque? Harley spec 50 ft lbs a little sketchy to torque to half that no?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:08 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
I have used a bunch of them. But to be honest never read directions. It's pretty clear when u have it in your hands that it can't be torqued to 50ft lbs. the chrome issue is something u have to own......every set of legs is different. Yours look to have been done by a good chromer as lots of copper. But at 50 lbs of torque? You would have to buy a new cap every time u removed the front axle. Grab a new cap and put it behind u. Hey u won't do it again. lol
^^^^ This...Have to agree

Also...

Originally Posted by convertedrocket
...During installation of the axle torque spec is 50ft lbs. Got to about 38 when I heard something pop. The axle pushed right through the chrome cover...
It didn't push through, it got "sucked" (drawn) in. That's to be expected with a flange that thin and over torqued (although you didn't know that you were over torquing)

Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM
convertedrocket
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't push through, it got "sucked" (drawn) in. That's to be expected with a flange that thin and over torqued
This is exactly what we figured happened. Eastern performance gave me another axle set to try and go from there. Gonna record this one. Anyone think 25 ft lbs is light for a axle?

Old 04-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Personally I wouldn't use a torque wrench on something like that......I know I will get lots of flaming. Put a 3/8 drive short ratchet on it and tighten Till u see cap seat. Than tighten a bit more. Loosen it up. Than tighten again tight. I bet maybe 18-22 ft lbs. but I have never checked. Now pay attention to tightening the cap that pinches the axle. Do it even. Gaps the same front and rear. Don't over tighten those either. You will stretch them using the torque spec and break them off in the tube. Not fun. Consider that cap u broke as a decorative piece now. Lol. It only supports the axle. Does really hold all that much they way it's designed. Only time u will have trouble won't matter anyway ......if u wreck it might break easer. But no problems under normal conditions