Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Road King 16" Carlini Gangster Apes Cable Lengths?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016 | 11:47 AM
moto4sho
|
Novice
Default 2005 Road King 16" Carlini Gangster Apes Cable Lengths?

New user, and I have been searching the forums for weeks looking at pics etc. I decided to go with the 16" Gangster Apes for my FLHRCI. Have Wild1's on my Ultra but wanted that curved look. Anyway I've decided to go with Magnum Shielding Chromite II cables. A few years back I put the Harley Diamondback front brake lines on this bike which are a two piece setup and I should only have to buy the upper brake line, throttle/idle & clutch to put on the apes.

Since the Magnum Chromite is the exact same as the Harley Diamondback I already have on the bike it saves me a few bucks. Now to my issue, I've found several posts about lengths of cables and most of them are generally +10 over stock but I was hoping to get a little more exact so I can order the cables while I'm waiting to receive the bars.

Magnum has a kit for my bike with 15-17" bars but I don't need the lower front brake ($160) so I called them and asked them if they could give me the kit part#'s minus the lower front brake. It appears this is top secret because they wouldn't do it. They said measure it after I mock up the bars or order the entire kit. Seems pretty ridiculous they wouldn't sell me something that I was ready to buy today. Hell I told them don't tell me the top secret part #'s just charge my card and send the **** to me. wtf I don't want to **** away $200 so here I sit.

I was hoping someone could tell me if they have the same setup what they went with on cable lengths and if they are happy with it. The rough numbers I have now are-

Clutch - 74"
Throttle 49.5"
Brake +10 over stock

But again this is from a guy that had a 99 RK not an 05.

Old 04-16-2016 | 06:56 AM
BigUglyMan
Tourer

I'm going with 16" Wild1s on my 95 Road King. Wild1 told me to go with +8" all around. I can source everything in Canada except the upper brake line so I'll have to order them from J&P. My bars haven't arrived yet so I haven't pulled the trigger on the replacement cables yet so what I'm saying shouldn't be taken as gospel. Still, I imagine that Wild1 has seen enough of these done that they have good advice to give.

YMMV. Good luck with it and report back once you're done.

Old 04-16-2016 | 09:31 AM
moto4sho
|
Novice

Yeah I've heard a lot of +10 on everything but I don't want a bunch of extra clutch cable flopping around so I will wait and measure and then I will share those numbers. I was just pissed off yesterday at Magnum cables for being pretty rude IMO. What company doesn't want to make a sale, keep a customer etc?