Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for Virginia riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 11:58 AM
shearpinn
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for Virginia riders

I am returning to VA to visit my folks in June (22Jun-8Jul). Background: I grew up in Partlow (South end of Spotsylvania County), rode in VA before I left for good when I was really young and green with a non-DOT. I have returned each summer but only a couple of times with bike and had DOT at the time. I recently bought 2 non-DOT ACC helmets (1 for me and 1 for girlfriend)after talking to them. BTW, I live in TX, no helmet required. I am bringing the SG with me this summer to ride up in the hills and wondering if anyone rides harrassment free with non-DOTs. The statue is vague in the wording and 1 could argue any helmet (nvelty or not) would be enough and that it is unlawful to pull over just for that. Any thoughts?

FYI - I have a friend that is still in the military (I got out after 10) and he rides everyday onto base with an ACC non-DOT and no one bothers him.

I am looking in the direction of Towpro and the others in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area.

Andy

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:09 PM
Sc0ut
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: question for Virginia riders

i live in northern virginia. and i've ridden with non-dot helmets (one was acc). no problem. no hassles from leos. ride safe

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:28 PM
FULLDRAWMIKE
6th Gear

I ride around here (Shenandoah valley) and all over Virginia and have never heard of anyone catchingcrap from the authoritys but the right trooper will right his mom out if he gets the chance. I use a dot approved but would not be afraid to wear what you wear if thats what i had. FDM

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:50 PM
vabiker07
Cruiser

Richmond here.....I ride with a few guys with NON-DOT helmets....NO probs so far

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:53 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Fredericksburg and about the only way you would even get asked about your helmet is if they pulled you over forsomething else. I ride with an ACC DOT but there are lots of folks that ride with non DOT brain buckets. You should be fine!!!!

Ride Safe!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007 | 03:53 PM
bris roadking
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in northern Virginia and there is no law saying it has to be DOT helment. This law took effect I beleive Oct 1 2006. I am stuck having to wear one on and off my military post but if around time i switch to non DOT

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:40 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Stafford, VA here. No specific requirements other than a helmet. I see lots of riders wearing the novelty helmets around here.

Old 05-16-2007 | 08:27 PM
VaRanger
Intermediate

In order to be factual I read the Code of Virginia, Title 46.2, Section 46.2-910. This is the law in Virginia in regards to motorcycle helmets. The following are pertinent sections copied from the law:

"Every person operating a motorcycle shall wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles, or have his motorcycle equipped with safety glass or a windshield at all times while operating the vehicle, and operators and any passengers thereon shall wear protective helmets…… The windshields, face shields, glasses or goggles, and protective helmets required by this section shall meet or exceed the standards and specifications of the Snell Memorial Foundation, the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or the federal Department of Transportation."
The law is clear. Helmets are to meet or exceed Snell, ANSI, or DOT. There are exceptions if the bike is small, or you are riding in a parade. In practice, I've been riding here for 26 years and have never known of a biker to be stopped or get a ticket for wearing an unauthorized helmet.

Old 05-16-2007 | 10:21 PM
Towpro
Banned

Hey Andy....welcome back to the Old Dominion bro.

My wife, & 90% of my riding brotha's ride w/non DOT lids (my preference is a DOT 1/2 helmet)
and they have never rec'd any probs. Hell I know alot of cops that ride non DOT.

Enjoy your stay & ride it like ya stole it.....I mean ride safe....yeah thats it. LOL

Old 05-16-2007 | 11:47 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Fredericksburg here....I ride with a DOT helmet but know many people in this area that ride with non DOT approved helmets. I think as long as you have something on your head you will be fine!

Quick Reply: question for Virginia riders