Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon kardin radio cuts out while not running

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Luke Gasper
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmon kardin radio cuts out while not running

My HK radio cuts out all the bike is not running. It only seems to do it at higher volumes. All speakers have been replaced with hog tunes, a hog tunes tweeter pod added, and amp. It also cuts out while the bike is running.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:46 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

What year is your bike?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 AM
Luke Gasper
Stage III

Originally Posted by rusty289
What year is your bike?
It's a 2008 ultra classic

Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM
rusty289
Tourer

I can't remember if the 08s had it but 09s for sure had a recall or service bulletin on the handlebar riser bolts. There was not enough clearance between the head of the bolt and the body of the radio. This would cause the radio body to contact the bolts while riding and eventually it would damage the radio to the point it would stop working altogether or work intermittently. With mine it looked as though everything was working, radio was on and would show as if it were playing I just had no sound, happened on a long road trip too which really sucked! That's what happened to me and it was not covered by warranty, I had to send my radio away to have it fixed. I used Iron Cross Audio, awesome company to deal with and very fast turnaround, they had the radio on the way back to me maybe 2 days after they received it.

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Luke Gasper
Stage III

I believe it was the 09 that had the service bulletin on the riser bolts. I plugged in a known good HK radio and it does the same thing. It does it if just the ignition switch is on and if it's running. But only seems to do it at higher volume

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/contact.html

Give them a call. They'll fix you up. Excellent customer service

Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 AM
rusty289
Tourer

Originally Posted by Luke Gasper
I believe it was the 09 that had the service bulletin on the riser bolts. I plugged in a known good HK radio and it does the same thing. It does it if just the ignition switch is on and if it's running. But only seems to do it at higher volume
You said you had an amp too right? Could the amp be cutting out on safety? Over heating perhaps or just drawing too much current?

Are you still running the 2 ohm speakers? I believe stock HD speakers are 2 ohm and a lot of the replacement/upgrade kits will stick with the 2 ohm to maintian volume levels. Lower resistance speakers are louder but will draw more current, maybe the amp can't handle it?

Hog tunes stuff though should really work properly I would think.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

I have the same lousy amp & speakers. Mine were cutting out while riding though. And it seemed like higher volume caused it to cut out a lot faster. The instructions for the amp say to set your AVC to 3 bars. I set mine on 2 bars last summer,and it has never cut out since then.

Either that fixed it,or I fixed it when I had the fairing off and twisted and pulled all the speaker wires around,looking for something loose...

Old 04-11-2016, 11:18 AM
rusty289
Tourer

YEp sure sounds like the amp is overlaoding based on that info.

If the AVC is up too high that can really stress the amp out at speed, it's cranking up the volume automatically causing the amp to crank up the output.

My suggestion is to turn off AVC altogether.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

My '06 Ultra had a similar problem with the stereo cutting out. I discovered three things.

First, one end of a crossover resistor on the right front speaker was loose. I soldered the resistor.

Second, my bike has a Hogtunes amp. The amp's slide switch for 2- or 4-channel operation was positioned halfway between settings. I set the switch to 2-channel. (I think was the main culprit.)

Third, when I ran a diagnostic using the radio's built-in feature, the results showed an open right rear speaker. The speaker worked, but sound was faint. I swapped the right/left rear speakers to confirm the defect; then I replaced the bad speaker.

After I completed these fixes, the stereo stopped cutting out.

Last edited by Geoff; 04-11-2016 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (04-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Harmon kardin radio cuts out while not running