Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy Art front motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 AM
greggmig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alloy Art front motor mount?

Anyone running an Alloy Art front motor mount on their ride? I put one on experiencing sharp vibration at 1500 -1900 rpm I'm only at this rpm range when in first second or even third in traffic under light load.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:04 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by greggmig
Anyone running an Alloy Art front motor mount on their ride? I put one on experiencing sharp vibration at 1500 -1900 rpm I'm only at this rpm range when in first second or even third in traffic under light load.
==========================

Well the new motor mount is likely a more solid init that by design transfers more engine vibes to frame & rider then stock mount did which is why your felloing it more with new M-mount.

But in general even in lower gears (2 & 3rd) 1500-1600-1700 (even 1,800-1,900) rpm is too low or an rpm to cruise at even in lower gears because your " lugging the motor " which the motor is telling you is the case in the vibration feedback it's sending you that you didnt feel as much with stock rubber M-mount vs new perf M-mount that transfers more vibes to the frame & rider.

Thats why you get less vibes if you cruise in slower traffic in the lower gears at a min of 2,200rpm (2,250-2,300 is better) or so where the motor's much happier and vibes will be less to where you wont be bothered anymore or not as much making it tolerable.

But if you got the same hvy vibes cruising in the same gears at 2,200-2,500rpm range then you may have a real issue to go after which from what you said isnt the case with your bike/motor thats experiencing hvy vibes in the 1,500-1,900rpm range which is normal for a TC HD motor thats rubber mounted on a touring bike .

Heck,my 09 with rubber mounted 96" motor vibrates considerably more if i lug the motor cruising at too low of an rpm like you'r doing in lower gears @ slow speed.

So with your new front M-Mount that now transfers more engine vibes to you & the frame try keeping the motor @ a min of 2,200rpm and you & the motor should both be happier!/LOL!!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-08-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:09 AM
greggmig
Cruiser

Agree Scott however its hard to keep the rpm's up just crawling along in very slow traffic especially in first gear unless you keep feathering or slipping the clutch which I wont do.
I had the whole motor apart and sent my cases and flywheel to Revolution for balance and weld along with timken upgrade and case boring the engine is very smooth.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I can't help thinking that swapping back to a stock mount will demonstrate if there is a problem elsewhere, or if it's the AA mount causing the problem.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Agree Scott however its hard to keep the rpm's up just crawling along in very slow traffic especially in first gear unless you keep feathering or slipping the clutch which I wont do.
I had the whole motor apart and sent my cases and flywheel to Revolution for balance and weld along with timken upgrade and case boring the engine is very smooth.
============================

Even though you had additional balance work done to the motor likely running a non stock perf cam etc & even a mild build perf hd twin cam motor running in only 1500-1900rpm range results in more vibes because your lugging it which is more of an issue if running non stock OEM cam with short duration & less agressive lobe profle/design.

Maybe you need a better tune to make the motor runs moother unless your so much cam duration in your build the motor choppy at low rpm and you should not e lugging a motor with a non stock perf cam.

Bottom line is your new stiffer M-mount transfers more vibes to frame and rider, then add to that running the motor at too low rpm in 1500-1900rpm range like your doing and you will get exactly what your complaining about which is more vibration from the motor sent thru the frame to you being the the rider.

If its not a tune issues causing lower rpm runability issues then with your motor setup/cam etc you need to learn to run with a bit more rpm ,but if you cant do that and still want smoother running/lugging the motor in 1500-1900 rpm range go back to a stock smooth short duration cam.

But thats as long as your motors not got too much compression that would cause too much cyl pressure with stock cam having shorter cam timing/duration that could possibly cause detonation issues even on premium 93 pump fuel in a case like that.

Since you had cank work etc done i have to assume its some kind of non stock perf built motor and even if its a mild street build with a mild non stock cam even non stock cam has more duration that directly affects idle & lower rpm perf of the motor in a street app at the low 1500-1900rpm range your running it when at slow raod speed in lower gears.

If run my stocm 96" in 1500-1900rpm range with more forgiving stock rubber m-mounts it also vibrates a lot too but if fine /much smoother at 2100-2,200rpm which isnt much rpm at all,its not a frigging diesel which is the rpm range your expecting your
HD to run pretty smooth at which is just not going to happen " by design " like your currently experiencing when lugging the motor in 1500-1900rpm range which you don't like which is why i never ride with my HD's motor below 2,150-2,200rpm unless i am letting off the throttle to let it idle.

Good luck

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-11-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Double check your True Track. You may have changed things a touch with the new motor mount and the TT may need to be re-set in a neutral position.

The following users liked this post:
greggmig (04-13-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Double check your True Track. You may have changed things a touch with the new motor mount and the TT may need to be re-set in a neutral position.
Use a T-T front mount! I have their full kit and it's fine.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 AM
greggmig
Cruiser

I didn't know True Track made a front motor mount?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM
greggmig
Cruiser

QT good point I'll check that although there is little to no vibrations in the floorboards just the fairing shacking at those rpm's and the brackets are not broken.
Let me reiterate I do not ride or lug the engine in this RPM its only during very light load almost no throttle especially in first gear in traffic.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

I didn't know True Track made a front motor mount?
I bought their Trackula kit, which came with front and rear rubber mounts. I don't know if it is their own design and manufacture, but mine has been working fine for several years!

Quick Reply: Alloy Art front motor mount?