Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator removal/install tool questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdal1
Just finished installing the se comp.

I tie wrapped the chain adjuster and after installing everything the chain has more slack than before. When I start it will it auto adjust the chain where it needs to be?
Yes it will ... for your infomation,, the auto adjuster only adjusts to tighten the chain,, it does not loosen the chain... When you removed the assembly and put a cable tie around it, you will be installing the assembly at the auto settings at that time of removal... As your primary chain seems loose now, the auto adjust will do its job, (at start up and riding), and all will be good.....

I believe good practice, is when re-installing original assembly, is to move wedge in assembly all the way back , (ie, no adjustment), put cable tie around assembly,, install/mount assembly ,, cut cable tie.. The auto adjuster will ratchet up a few notches,, this will ensure, (at start up), that the auto adjuster is starting from the lower settings,, (not start at a setting that may have been to tight), and go up as required ... The manual shows info on this,, and the video above gives a good understanding on the assembly parts ....

Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks

Ok after cleaning up tools and such came across this. Any idea what it goes to. Looked in diagrams and don't see it anywhere on the comp or clutch side

Attached Thumbnails Compensator removal/install tool questions-image.jpeg  
Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Yes I do,, I recently asked a question on here regarding this part.. Working on a mates bike and he is working in the primary and replacing the primary chain assembly...
The part above is, one of two spaces that the primary chain assembly mounting bolts go through on the back side of the assembly..
If you are just re-installing your original assembly these have to be re-installed... If you were updating to new version , (39929-06B), the mounting design of the assembly has changed , and these spaces are no longer required...

In your case ,, remove primary chain assembly, and fit these spaces in position ,(behind assembly).. Remember there are two !!! (find the other one, if it is not there)..
I have an old assembly in my shed,, I will take a pic , and it will show you want your looking at ...

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by markwolula
Yes I do,, I recently asked a question on here regarding this part.. Working on a mates bike and he is working in the primary and replacing the primary chain assembly...
The part above is, one of two spaces that the primary chain assembly mounting bolts go through on the back side of the assembly..
If you are just re-installing your original assembly these have to be re-installed... If you were updating to new version , (39929-06B), the mounting design of the assembly has changed , and these spaces are no longer required...

In your case ,, remove primary chain assembly, and fit these spaces in position ,(behind assembly).. Remember there are two !!! (find the other one, if it is not there)..
I have an old assembly in my shed,, I will take a pic , and it will show you want your looking at ...
Beat me to it. And if you haven't already, you do want to install 39929-06B. It's a much better unit.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I used a deep socket to lock the front sprocket both for removal and reinstall.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser

Ok so if I have this right I need to basically take everything back off to get the spacer in, Other than the rotor? Or if I buy the new auto tensioner can I just slide it under the chain without removing everything?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Seems there are two topics going on in this thread,, its all interesting, so all's good..

Cdal1,, Check out video in this thread and look for 2.30 onwards.... If you have all the primary components installed, you only have to remove/slide out, the primary chain assembly... You said your chain is loose at the moment, so you should'nt have any problems putting a cable tie around the assembly. If by chance you can't get the tie around the assembly, push down on the assembly and pull /wiggle it out.... If the assembly ratchet opens up when removed, check manual and video, and set assembly with wedge all the way back,, cable tie in place,, install mounting bolts through assembly,, install spacers x 2 over bolts, (make sure lip of spacers are facing assembly),,, install/mount assemble ,,, cut and remove cable tie .... Done !!!!!

PS If you are replacing assembly with 39929-06B, (no spacers required), the unit comes compressed with a tang,, install as above ,,, remove tang ,,, Done...

Last edited by markwolula; 04-06-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by markwolula
Seems there are two topics going on in this thread,, its all interesting, so all's good..

Cdal1,, Check out video in this thread and look for 2.30 onwards.... If you have all the primary components installed, you only have to remove/slide out, the primary chain assembly... You said your chain is loose at the moment, so you should'nt have any problems putting a cable tie around the assembly. If by chance you can't get the tie around the assembly, push down on the assembly and pull /wiggle it out.... If the assembly ratchet opens up when removed, check manual and video, and set assembly with wedge all the way back,, cable tie in place,, install mounting bolts through assembly,, install spacers x 2 over bolts, (make sure lip of spacers are facing assembly),,, install/mount assemble ,,, cut and remove cable tie .... Done !!!!!

PS If you are replacing assembly with 39929-06B, (no spacers required), the unit comes compressed with a tang,, install as above ,,, remove tang ,,, Done...

Ok that makes sense and what I was hoping the solution was going to be.
Unfortunately I'll have to drain primary again and slide assembly out to put spacer in its place. Didn't see it till I was literally completely done.

Oh well, it's been a good learning experience with this bike especially being that I've only had a little over a week.

First off if I need to start a new thread with these after install questions I can.

But here comes another question. i adjusted the clutch bolt per manual and afterwards I ended up with the clutch engaging with almost no movement. Basically 1/8" of movement engaged clutch. So should I tighten or loosen the bolt to give a little more free play? After I buttoned everything up I turned it on and put in gear to hear for noise before I saw that spacer on the ground.

And by the way I really appreciate everyone's quick help on all this. Hopefully one day I can return the favor to someone.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts

am reading some putting red Loctite #262 on the comp bolt but the manual does not mention doing this?

It does state the clutch hub mainshaft nut needs the #262 (pg 5-7 in 2012 Touring Service Manual)

Maybe I missed it in the manual?

Have read some put blue on it? or does the bolt come in the kit w/ the blue on it?

Replacing one on a 2008 w/ the SE kit shortly....thanks.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM
markwolula
Tourer

If you are installing new SE comp kit, the bolt in the kit , (70 torx), has thread locker already on end of bolt from the manufacturer .. No need for any other thread locking material ... An important Tip,, clean out threads of old thread locker where comp bolt screws into good and proper, before assembly of new comp.. Brake cleaner and compressed air ... Also use the old comp bolt and screw in and out to clean up threads...

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (05-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Compensator removal/install tool questions