Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to upgrade from Sportster to Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and then spent 15 yrs without throwing my leg over anything with 2 wheels. Saw a Nightster one day and had to have one. Put 26K on it in 2 yrs (thanks to our fine weather I can only ride 6-7 months a yr) as a daily rider and on week long trips.
Swapped bikes with one of my buddies for an afternoon and had a chance to get a feel for a SG. Got home and immediately began to search for a new bike.
2 yrs later and no regrets except that I should have kept the Sportie too.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:40 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Also consider a pre09 touring bike. They are lighter and feel a little sportier to me. And cheaper to start with as a beater bike. I did that with a 02 RKC before I moved up to a new SG. LOL, now I'm looking for another RKC.

I also have a softail custom (evo) that is more fun for an hour. Longer than an hour, the bagger is the best.

Beary

Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,349 Likes on 6,143 Posts

You already have a bike you don't ride. Why spend twice as much on another one to sit in the garage?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:14 PM
RAWHD
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get what you want. I've seen 5 foot 80 lbs girls ride full dress baggers. Will probably take some serious saddle time to get used to it. But in my opinion. Get what you want. Though I don't disagree with getting some more saddle time in on the sporty, you got it. 750 isn't much. Good luck, ride safe!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

If you're having buyer's remorse after only 750 miles, it'll most likely just get worse IMHO. If you keep your Sporty as a "practice bike", the longer you ride it the more it winds up costing you.

I went through the same thing when I bought my Super Glide, my first Harley, a few years ago. By the time I decided I wanted something bigger I had already sunk $20K into it. I will say this though, I'm absolutely certain I became a better rider after the 7000 miles I put on my Dyna, so the transition to a bagger was really easy for me.

Sure wish I'd kept that sweet little Super Glide for a town bike though . . .

Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 PM
BostonHarley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Went to see my HD salesman today after work. Some good news. There is a demo day coming in May or June but better, starting May 1st I can rent and try out the bike I am interested in. What a sweet road king I saw today

Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a bunch of good advices here for you. Many of them hit the nail on right the head, so to speak. Let me give you my 2 cents, as well. I currently own and enjoy a '15 SGS, as you can see in my avatar. A bike I truly love, like I never experienced before. But let me tell you one thing: It took me quite some month to get used to it. I had a beautiful Heritage Softail before that one and one day I decided I must have a bagger. When I got my SGS I immediately developed doubts, whether I made the right decision, or not. The bike felt too big for me. I am 5'9", 162# and 65 years young. Not necessarily physically built for a heavy touring bike. But I rode her and rode her and finally I noticed that I could handle her to a point where I really enjoy riding her. In the beginning, when I was riding her I was afraid when I had to stop at a red light. But that's all behind me, now. The point I try to make is, 750 miles is nothing to evaluate your real desire, which bike is the right one for you. If you want to go on long rides (3-400 miles a day), you definitely need a different bike. A sportster is not gonna hack it, period. But you don't know yet, whether you are going to like a Streetglide. Is it the styling of a bagger you admire, or is it the size of the bike that intrigues you. Whatever it is, be aware, you gonna spend a ton of money and if you only put 750 mile a year on her, you probably wasted a lot of money. It is solely up to you and I think you got more than enough of good advices here. The decision is yours. Good luck and choose wisely.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't worry about riding the sporty for another year, ride a street glide. If you like it and want it, then get it. You'll learn your skills on the street glide just the same as a sporty. A too small of a bike for a guy can be just as challenging as a too big of a bike.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:43 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I think u have a good idea to get a street glide. I had a sportster for a couple of years and finally moved to the electra glide I have now, my only regret is that I didnt do it sooner. so my opinion is get you a street glide and enjoy it. I love the radio and the protection from the elements. If some one said heres 50k go buy u a new bike I would buy a street glide or electra glide, probably electra glide only so I could have the removable tour pack for trips.I have my electra glide set up like a street glide for every day use. It only took me a couple of rides before I got use to the size difference and I feel the balance is much better, sportys are a little top heavy. good luck