Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to upgrade from Sportster to Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM
BostonHarley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I think your Bike should the Dyna Switchback, it's a bigger Bike but will feel like a bigger
Sportster as far as handling goes. Summer is coming ride the Sporty for a few months to get
more experience.
I like the switchback. HATE the colors. I like the option to remove the shield and bags too.

I have until July 4th to trade in the Sportster to get the full value from last year.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,725 Likes on 844 Posts

I rode a 440 Kaw for a couple of years in my late teens. Sold it, rode a sportster a couple of months when my buddy stored it in my garage at about 26 yrs old. Didn't ride again until I was 40 and bought my first Harley. 2000 heritage softail. It seemed like a Huge bike at the time. I took my time, drove it slow and short rides for a couple of months until I felt comfortable. Didn't ride with passenger until about 4 months. Bought 3 ultras through the years, now I ride a Roadking. Perfect bike for me now.

Point is, you can do it, just ride with confidence and awareness. Take your time and for God's sake, put some miles on the thing. LOL

Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Just do like I did and keep a Sportster AND a Street Glide in the stable

Nice. I'll be doing that some day.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

OP. Unless you're super short, handicapped in someway. Do what you want. A test drive is always a good thing. I never test drove (dealership demos) any bikes before buying, but that's just me. I never regretted going from the Sporty, to the Fatboy, and then to my current bike, a Street Glide.

A Sportster didn't have enough (really none) of the amenities for touring that I wanted. Electronic cruise control, tunes, serious wind protection etc. But, my Street Glide is a heavy pig at about 300 pounds more. Not nearly as fun on local streets & slow speed driving/turning. I went to the gym and did some serious working out on my legs. It definitely paid off.

Good luck on your choice!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 AM
SwarleyManson62
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lot of money to spend for 750 miles a year. Get some throw overs for your sporty and save some money! just my 2 cents

Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Well Boston start riding the Sporty ever where you want to go, and be at the Dealership
on July Second with your title in hand. Black is very becoming on a Switchback, just saying.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 AM
BostonHarley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Well Boston start riding the Sporty ever where you want to go, and be at the Dealership
on July Second with your title in hand. Black is very becoming on a Switchback, just saying.
Yes sounds like a great plan

Unfortunately Boston JUST got 5" of snow on Monday and today is 37 degrees and they are forecasting maybe some more snow this weekend.

Why do I live here?

For those saying put bags on the Sportster I tried and it became such a hassle I ditched that. I pretty much now refuse to put bags on this bike.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,371 Posts

My friend got his motorcycle endorsement and wanted to immediately buy a Harley. I talked him out of spending his money immediately and loaned him my sportster. Only after 3000 miles did he have a clear idea of what he wanted to buy. I wanted him try Road King / Street Glide's as I frequently take 3500-4500 mile trips and thought he would like to join me. He ended up with a Super Glide, has bags and a windshield...sort of a Switchback light. He'll ride this and get more experience. He bought a '13 used and he will be able to sell/trade it in and get his money back if he decides to change. With only 750 miles, you need to find a bike that you can live with and put on some serious miles. Many people outgrow the sporty after 750 miles, (then again some are hooked for life). Test ride before you buy. A test ride to me is 6 hours. Only then, by the third hour do you start to learn what is really good or bad, what fits and what does not fit on a motorcycle. My friend, liked the look of the dyna superglide, took it around the block and bought it. Only now that he is spending a full day riding does is he learning what he needs to do to his superglide to make it work for him. There are no shortcuts, just some are lucky and some end up going through 3-4 motorcycles before they are truly happy. You could be lucky.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM
BostonHarley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
My friend got his motorcycle endorsement and wanted to immediately buy a Harley. I talked him out of spending his money immediately and loaned him my sportster. Only after 3000 miles did he have a clear idea of what he wanted to buy. I wanted him try Road King / Street Glide's as I frequently take 3500-4500 mile trips and thought he would like to join me. He ended up with a Super Glide, has bags and a windshield...sort of a Switchback light. He'll ride this and get more experience. He bought a '13 used and he will be able to sell/trade it in and get his money back if he decides to change. With only 750 miles, you need to find a bike that you can live with and put on some serious miles. Many people outgrow the sporty after 750 miles, (then again some are hooked for life). Test ride before you buy. A test ride to me is 6 hours. Only then, by the third hour do you start to learn what is really good or bad, what fits and what does not fit on a motorcycle. My friend, liked the look of the dyna superglide, took it around the block and bought it. Only now that he is spending a full day riding does is he learning what he needs to do to his superglide to make it work for him. There are no shortcuts, just some are lucky and some end up going through 3-4 motorcycles before they are truly happy. You could be lucky.
Good advice.

Some shortcomings for my Sportster is I wish I had a 6th gear and windshield. It's a bit rough on the highway. As I said adding the bags is a no go, it was a hassle and I hate the look of bags on a Sportster, no offense to anyone who has bags on theirs.

Also, there is no doubt I WILL outgrow this bike as I ride more. The option to get full value by July is a big reason to trade it in by then.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're a 5'10" 200lbs rider. You'll be fine. HD built their tourings bikes to fit a 5'9" 180lbs rider.
Unlike myself, 5'5" 160lbs. I have to really modify a touring bike to fit me.
good luck!

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade from Sportster to Street Glide