Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Certified stage .5

Old 04-05-2016, 03:07 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

If your filter is due for replacement, why not go with a k&n. Is it going to breathe that much more to warrant a tune, no.

If you have to have a certain intake cause it looks good, that's different.

I'd put a k&n in, then when the money was right, get a tuner.

Ride on.

The following users liked this post:
CHIEF MIKE (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 03:17 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DK Customs shows a Dyno chart comparing a stock late model filter to a aftermarket model. The difference was substantial. Also the idea of eliminating sucking hot air/oil into your intake.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:11 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
DK Customs shows a Dyno chart comparing a stock late model filter to a aftermarket model. The difference was substantial.
I could be wrong, but DK may have had other things done for the difference, including a proper tune and baffle change. The OP might as well do a full Stage 1.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIEF MIKE
My main concern is whether or not the K&N filter replacement would flow that much more air than the stocker.
Just changing the filter and slip ons is not a stage one, I see no need in spending money on remapping for that but I would go with the K&N filter it definitely breathes better than a stock air filter. Imo

Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I've run the K&N (for 2014 with stock air box) with slipons for over 10K without any issues. I then put a PV on the bike to see what it was doing. Not much.

Later played around with the "Improved Stock tune" and it actually ran a little better. Since then I'm back to stock pipes and the K&N with the stock tune. All fine.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get the full stage 1 tune. The sound and improved HP will be worth it in the the end.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:59 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rick
FWIW. I recently went to a new intake and when we removed the stock filter that thing was dirty as hell.Bike has 2k miles don't know if that's the reason or not.
===========================

Thats because crankcase is venting blowby gases full of hot oil mist thru air filter,go to DKCustom's external vent system and that wiil not be a problem anymore.

My bikes air filter used to get oily & dirty enough after only 3,500-4k miles to require cleaning.

But after i installed DK's external breather kit for crankcase the air filter doesnt look as dirty at 6,500-7k miles as it used to 3,500-4k miles.

Scott

Old 04-06-2016, 08:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
DK Customs shows a Dyno chart comparing a stock late model filter to a aftermarket model. The difference was substantial. Also the idea of eliminating sucking hot air/oil into your intake.
Don't believe everything you see, that chart and write up is what Judge Judy would call "Puffery". Fuelmoto did the same test with their Pro Billet air cleaner and didn't get those type of results. The FM dyno showed a 1.78& HP and 3.2% torque increase. In keeping with the rules on this site of not mentioning competing sites. There is a site where a lot of the industry leaders hang out to answer questions and compare notes, several of them have even stated on Stage 1 and mild Stage 2, the Rushmore air cleaner is all that is needed.

Keep in mind when you compare dyno charts, those numbers can be manipulated to show a better light on a product. They are also numbers gained at Wide Open Throttle. How many folks realistically spool their engines up to 5,800 - 6,200 rpm on a regular basis? Not many, so in the range most ride, the gain is nothing. You will gain more from a good exhaust and a tune, than you will with an air cleaner. The only reason to change an air cleaner on a Rushmore bike, or trike, is because you want to change the looks or you're doing ported heads, a bump in compression and cams to match that combination.

Now venting the heads to atmosphere vs into the intake, that's a whole different kettle of fish. External venting may give you a smidgen more power or torque, not sure if anyone reputable has measured it or not. The biggest gain is you do not suck all that **** into your engine and build carbon.

Last edited by msocko3; 04-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:33 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

If you ever plan on getting rid of your Catalytic Converter then I would get a Power Vision tuner.
If you keep your Bike the way it is, Full Bore and a K&N filter, go with FL-ViED-10 from NightRider

Quick Reply: Stage 1