Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter shaft seal leak problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 AM
fournierrandy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter shaft seal leak problems....

Hey has anyone had to get the shifter shaft and sleeve replaced from inside the transmission. I had a shifter shaft seal leak so I broke it down and repaired. Well first ride there was oil everywhere so back apart it came. I got a new seal and installed it, I can spin the rear tire manually and see some of my pink tranny fluid still leak past the brand new seal. The shaft is not damaged or nicked but does have alot of side to side play like it or the sleeve it sits in is wore out causing it to be out of tolerance for the seal. Guess it might be a trailer trip to the harley dealer as I do not feel comfortable pulling transmission guts to replace the shifter shaft.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you replace the rest of the seals on the inner primary?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM
fournierrandy
Advanced

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
Did you replace the rest of the seals on the inner primary?
Yes all other seals on primary are good. just the Shifter shaft seal issue i have.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM
fournierrandy
Advanced

also does anyone know if the sleeve that the shaft goes through can be replaced from the outside of the transmission?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Lateral movement in the trans output shifter shaft is not adnormal.My new 2016 SGS has this movement and in checking other new models,about half of them I checked have what I consider to be excess play in shaft,but none leak.Are you sure you installed the seal correctly?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:52 PM
fournierrandy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTK
Lateral movement in the trans output shifter shaft is not adnormal.My new 2016 SGS has this movement and in checking other new models,about half of them I checked have what I consider to be excess play in shaft,but none leak.Are you sure you installed the seal correctly?
I believe so, I removed old seal, cleaned inside with a q tip. Taped off the splines on the shaft, lubricated new seal and slide it onto the shaft till it met the housing. At that point I took a deep socket the same diameter as the hole and seal and pressed the seal as far back as it could go. Not sure why it will not seal. There is alot of lateral play. I have tried 2 new seals now. maybe 3rd time is a charm while it is still apart.....

Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
fournierrandy
Advanced

well looks like bike is going to the dealer as I cannot get the seal to stop leaking because of the play in the shaft......this one looks like it will be a expensive fix!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Following...

Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fournierrandy
At that point I took a deep socket the same diameter as the hole and seal and pressed the seal as far back as it could go...
This may be contributing to the problem. When I pressed in my seal... the tool recessed the seal maybe a millimeter or 2mm beyond the case. The seal did not make contact with anything. Now, if you are worried about spill out from the OD of the seal and the case... you can apply a very thin coat of permatex and recess the seal.

I am curious... as to why you have lateral play. Without asking more questions... I'd say your shift shaft sleeve is excessively worn and needs to be replaced. The shift shaft itself should not have wiggle room (not that much anyways) because the sleeve is pressed into the case, the shift shaft slides through the sleeve and although it (obviously) rotates during gear selection... the seal is only supposed to do just that... seal not secure.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:29 AM
fournierrandy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
This may be contributing to the problem. When I pressed in my seal... the tool recessed the seal maybe a millimeter or 2mm beyond the case. The seal did not make contact with anything. Now, if you are worried about spill out from the OD of the seal and the case... you can apply a very thin coat of permatex and recess the seal.

I am curious... as to why you have lateral play. Without asking more questions... I'd say your shift shaft sleeve is excessively worn and needs to be replaced. The shift shaft itself should not have wiggle room (not that much anyways) because the sleeve is pressed into the case, the shift shaft slides through the sleeve and although it (obviously) rotates during gear selection... the seal is only supposed to do just that... seal not secure.

Yes the shaft or the sleeve has to be worn out. The seal is seated good and I have had 3 seals leak now. It has way to much play so when shifting it causes the shaft to move allowing the seal to open up and leak oil past.

Quick Reply: shifter shaft seal leak problems....