Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour-pack without kit advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016 | 06:07 PM
cike
|
Tourer
Default detachable tour-pack without kit advice needed

2012 EGC
I've been looking at making my tour pack detachable. HD sells a kit for $549 (53246-090)
This seems like too much money to me (on my budget), I don't like the license plate relocation that comes with it, (I would like to move the plate below the turn signals), I also don't need the antenna relocation kit.
I can shop for the 4 point docking kit, and the rack for the pack. What Im not sure about is the strut covers that come with the kit that don't have the slots cut in them.
How to move the license plate is the main part that gets me. I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet about this, and by no means have I read everything. Several people say that you can use the light bar from a road king that move my plate below the light, but they don't say what year of light bar. The older ones have the plate above the light. Once you get the light bar, how do you get the light for the plate? Do you just have to change the light cover or the whole light?
They have cheap ones from China on ebay that have a rack and the 4 point docking for $159, but I assume that these will be so cheap made that the tour pack will rattle around or fall off. Has anyone tried these.
Please add any ideas on how I can do this right without buying the kit.
I just bought this bike, and trying to convince my wife I need to spend another $549 for the kit, plus whatever it costs to move the plate, just isn't going to go over to well right now. I can even unbolt the trunk for a while if I can figure out how to do the plate.

Old 04-01-2016 | 06:22 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

The rear signal bar from an 09-up Road King Standard or Electra Glide Standard will work for you.It has the tag light built in.I wish you lived nearby,I have a set of the strut covers you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2016 | 07:43 PM
C908
Road Warrior

Ok I'll tell you what I did because I wasn't willing to buy the kit. I've had my tour pack off twice and back on. It was a pain because I have an Ultra so there was more wiring to deal with. I don't like the top heavy feel of the tour pack so mine is staying off. If you are going to be taking it off and on I would tell you the Roadking lightbar with plate holder is probably your best bet. I went a different route and used a softbrake license plate relocater. For my light I use an LED license plate frame. Since I had tour pack lights I was able to plug my license plate frame into that connector. I believe with the the Roadking bar you can tap into the existing tail light wiring. For a while I used the stock strut covers with the holes. I eventually replaced them with the solid streetglide strut covers. Really if you want to remove your tour pack all you need to do is get your license plate with light figured out. Everything else can wait until you decide how often you will be wanting to use the tour pack. In my case I probably should have bought a Streetglide but that's hindsight. I know there are guys that like the option of taking the tour pack off and on. I've also heard some guys complain about the quick release kit having rattles.

Old 04-02-2016 | 01:28 PM
cornking
Tourer

I bought just the docking kit and plate for the tour pak. Hidden antenna under fairing as I listen to iPod mostly so radio reception isn't a deal breaker for me. Already had SG turn signal bar on there. Bought a small radius plate holder from Drag Specialties and installed below signal bar. Large radius is the proper one due to my 10 UC having the wider rear tire. Bought a laydown taillight lense with the clear bottom window for plate light. Cheaper than kit from HD and pretty simple to install.

Old 04-02-2016 | 03:11 PM
cike
|
Tourer

keep the ideas coming
found this fender for sale on ebay, anyone know who makes this license plate holder?

Old 04-02-2016 | 03:35 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Here was my solution when pieced together my removable pack.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1001929-low-cost-plate-relocation.html

Old 04-02-2016 | 09:14 PM
cike
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Here was my solution when pieced together my removable pack.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...elocation.html
does having the brake light cover with the down lens show enough light through the turn signal bar to light up the plate?
I was looking into this idea but wasn't sure if I would need a frame with LED lights in it

Old 04-02-2016 | 09:51 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

I bought one of these bars from a fellow rider $50 moved my license plate from above to below...easy swap.

Old 04-02-2016 | 10:51 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Originally Posted by cike
does having the brake light cover with the down lens show enough light through the turn signal bar to light up the plate?
I was looking into this idea but wasn't sure if I would need a frame with LED lights in it
Yes I have an LED bulb from Walmart and it shows the plate nicely once dark

The following users liked this post:
cike (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016 | 08:15 AM
cike
|
Tourer

has anyone tried the Kuryakyn light bar http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/665...urn-signal-bar I found them new for $130 on ebay.
I like the idea of using the road king bar the best, but I can't find one. Someone had one in the classifieds on here but I was to late.
I like the way Greg did it as well, and may end up going that way if I hear to much bad about the Kuryakyn bar (had good luck with their stuff so far)
I also thought about just getting a laydown frame bolting it above the light. Could fix the whole problem for about $30 this way. the only thing is, that I would have to drill the 3 holes in the fender to mount it. I don't mind doing this if I leave it there, but I'm not sure if you would still be able to see it ok, once the tour pack is back on the bike

Quick Reply: detachable tour-pack without kit advice needed