Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Dyno necessary with a SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Dyno necessary with a SERT?

The service tech. said they could Dyno it if I wanted but he didn't think it would be necessary as he would download a map that matched my set up. Bike seems to running fine. Had it done a couple of weeks ago. I had SE/AC, K&N filter and Samson oval slip ons put on.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Dyno necessary with a SERT?

If that is all he is going to do then don't spend the money on the SERT. He can do the download without. All a dyno is used for is to fine tune different tuners. Before the dyno it was done on the streets.

It will also measure the engines output and other parameters. But if you are only going to use the download than don't waste your money.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

My plan was to later go to true duals.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

If I had a tech tell me that, I would read between the lines and come to the conclusion that they are not experienced enough to tune a bike better than the canned maps provide.

There can be quite a bit of bike to bike variance even when running the same parts combo. So what worked really well for one bike with your combo, may not work so well on your bike. A custom MAP tune is always preferred, however it will only be as good as the tuner. JMO

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MiniMe

If that is all he is going to do then don't spend the money on the SERT. He can do the download without. All a dyno is used for is to fine tune different tuners. Before the dyno it was done on the streets.

It will also measure the engines output and other parameters. But if you are only going to use the download than don't waste your money.
Phil - I think what he is referring to is downloading a pre-canned SERT MAP for his specific combination. The SERT has more MAPS available than the standard Flash downloads that HD offers, including those for exhaust coombinations other than SE. You can see the available maps at hdmaps.com.

I would say the SERT is a good purchase, but paying this particular shop to fine tune an existing SERT MAP may not be money well spent.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

He told me anytime to bring it back in and they would dyno it for me if I wanted. Think I should want? I am not from the area where I bought the bike and had the work done. I really don't know anyone from the area. I imagine, if I knew other bikers who had their bike tuned there, they could tell what they think of these guys' work. I do know they are always very busy. There must be a lot of bikers that trust them.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

Phil - I think what he is referring to is downloading a pre-canned SERT MAP for his specific combination. The SERT has more MAPS available than the standard Flash downloads that HD offers, including those for exhaust coombinations other than SE. You can see the available maps at hdmaps.com.

I would say the SERT is a good purchase, but paying this particular shop to fine tune an existing SERT MAP may not be money well spent.

Ok, misread a little. That makes more since.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

What your saying is a good tuner would have recommended I have it dynoed?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

He told me anytime to bring it back in and they would dyno it for me if I wanted. Think I should want? I am not from the area where I bought the bike and had the work done. I really don't know anyone from the area. I imagine, if I knew other bikers who had their bike tuned there, they could tell what they think of these guys' work. I do know they are always very busy. There must be a lot of bikers that trust them.
If you want to know how much HP and TQ your bike is making, as well as looking at the AFR reading, then go ahead and let them make a dyno pass on the bike. I would not pay them to tune it based on your information here.

Try starting a new thread on here with the shops name and ask for anyone with experience to comment. You might be surprised with what you find.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

What your saying is a good tuner would have recommended I have it dynoed?
Mo -

In very general terms, there are two ways to get your bike tuned with the SERT.

1) Have a canned map downloaded to your bike from the supplied CD that comes with the SERT
2) Have a custom SERT MAP created by a tuner using a dyno

A good tuner will always recommend having the bike tuned via option 2 above. Unfortunately even some bad tuners will try to get you to pay them to custom tune the bike, but the results will not be realized. You need to figure out which of the 2 methods you trust your tuner to do. Try posting the shops name on a new thread and ask for peoples experience with that shop. There are bound to be some people with first hand experience here that can help in your decision. Just my opinion.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Is Dyno necessary with a SERT?