Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise while cornering

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise while cornering

Floor boards are dragging...very cool. I love the cornering on this beast. I recently started to apply the counter steering technique and what a difference. Took a little ride with a co-worker a few days ago (he has an R6, very quick bike that he is scared to death of), . Now before everyone goes off on a tangent, we weren't racing but we (I)did make a quick run through some nice twisties and I couldn't even see him in my mirrors. If you have never applied the counter steering method while cornering you should definitely try it.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Dogwood
Tourer
Default RE: Strange noise while cornering

If you don't use the "counter stearing method" on anything but a very slow speed turn, you won't make the corner.
You havealway counter stear'ed, you have just become aware/conscience of it.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
SMT
Tourer

Dragging the floor boards huh....wow! Careful that you don't trip the bank angle sensor...that would be bad.

As far as counter steering goes...that's how motorcycles steer...not really a technique but a way to stay up right and not crash.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

You always counter steer a motorcycle during any turn/curve greater thanparking lot speed.Its drilled into you during any MSF basic rider class along with using your rider radar and riding to be seen.
Straight out of the MSF Course manual. Slow! Look! Press! on thehandle bar in the direction of the turn. then Roll! on the thottle though out the turn if needed to stablize the suspension and improve overall control.
I received my endorsement in 1978. ThoughtI knew it all. Took the MSF basic rider class in Oct 06. Changed my life forever! Like being born again! You can teach a old dog new tricks!

Ride Safe/Ride Often
daryl

Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Why drag the boards??? Get a crotch rocket[8D]

Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got me some of that strange sound today! I used to do it on the FXRS all the time, but this is the first time on the Road Glide. Why drag the boards, you say. I say why not? This RG handles almost as well asmy FXRS with more power. And I don't won't no stinkin' crotch rocket.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently started to apply the counter steering technique and what a difference.
I'm curious as to how you survived 'before' you learned countersteering? I'm guessing you didn't spend a lot of time with the shiny side up.

CN

Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lotta people kinda 'lean and try and tip the bike some'.... while countersteering is definately in play ... they aren't focusing on the bars themselves. They are focusing on the lean.

Couple good threads on countersteering. Best reply to one was:

You don't countersteer because you lean..... you countersteer which causes the lean.

It is more of the 'initiation' of the turn. what do you do first... start to lean which starts a poor countersteer??? or do you countersteer the bars which in turn gives a nice crisp turn and you adjust the amount of lean.

last leg of my way to work is a road with plenty of man-hole covers down it. I go down this road every day and practice my 'swerves' for emergencies with quick countersteering/counter-balancing. Keeps the reflexes sharp.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:26 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the wife on the back this weekend and dragged the boards. She got pissed and told me to never do it again...I think it time she gets her own bike.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD_Maxima

Floor boards are dragging...very cool.
Very easy to do on an SG with its lowered rear. Now, if you want more cornering ability, raise the boards up to the top notch. I did that after installing the Kury floorboard extenders, then 12.5" Progressive 440 shocks in the rear, and the bike is transformed.

Quick Reply: Strange noise while cornering