Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat battery yet again.... 2014 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016 | 01:32 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Put the blame where it belongs.Unbelievable question.Read the manual and your problem is solved.

Old 03-28-2016 | 01:51 PM
keithl3030
Cruiser

it only took replacing one battery to get me to stop leaving the bike on.

The following users liked this post:
AndyT (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:34 AM
AndyT
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by danzio

Not trying to be so hard on you but asking strangers for advice like this when maybe you should be seeking out a professional.
Oh, and by the way. Tires go flat, batteries die. Is that some sort of a Brit thing?
I thought thats what these forums were for to share knowledge and experience obviously not everyone's idea. It was a simple question on what I still believe is a design flaw but I'm unfortunately not perfect like some. Its just like safety. Preference is to remove the issue, if not possible engineer it out and the last resort leave it up to a human who (like me) will always at some point screw up. It would be so simple for the bike to shut down if not running and the key fob not close by. In the ACC position it could remain on... its so simple I don't know why the bods at HD havn't done it that way bit I'm sure they have their reasons.

The Brit thing went over my head I'm afraid

Anyway, the forum has helped me to which I offer my thanks and hopefully I'll not forget again.

Old 03-29-2016 | 01:35 AM
AndyT
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GTK
Put the blame where it belongs.Unbelievable question.Read the manual and your problem is solved.
Even more unbelievable reply.... I bet you vote for Trump too

Old 03-29-2016 | 06:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

As a cancer survivor I wish you a speedy/full recovery and hope that your chief worry in life is why you can't you leave the headlight on when the bike isn't running

That was a tongue in cheek way of saying don't lose perspective of what's important and what's not.

The following users liked this post:
AndyT (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016 | 06:41 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by AndyT
Even more unbelievable reply.... I bet you vote for Trump too
I thought from the beginning the OP was a Troll. I think this statement proves it.

Old 03-29-2016 | 07:33 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

I am not trying to be rude in any way but ignorance can get expensive.I hope you get it sorted out

Old 03-29-2016 | 09:06 AM
dsigrist
Tourer

Thumb-Key-Valve; just think of it as the proper shut down sequence. Thumb is the engine cut off, Key is the ignition switch (even though the key isn't sticking out), and, since you're fuel injected, you don't have to worry about the valve.

If the battery truly is bad it will be covered under your new bike warranty.

Old 03-29-2016 | 05:19 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

I'm not sure Andy can be helped. If he cannot figure out how to shut the bike off how can he be trusted to ride it. As for a 50 state tour someone better explain to him that Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific with no connecting bridges to the mainland!!

Old 03-29-2016 | 06:41 PM
AndyT
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
As a cancer survivor I wish you a speedy/full recovery and hope that your chief worry in life is why you can't you leave the headlight on when the bike isn't running

That was a tongue in cheek way of saying don't lose perspective of what's important and what's not.
Thank you for the kind words, I'm a 2 time Cancer survivor now (well hopefully 2 if the radiotherapy works I need to get in May) as I had it bad 35 years ago when I was 20.

This thread despite what some people think has been a help to me. I think most folk missed the fact that I admitted I screwed up many times in my opening post but hey ho. This is my 28th bike that Ive owned in nearly 40 years and Ive ridden through 18 different countries from the flat terrain of Holland to the Himalayan region of India and this the only one I keep leaving on so I must remember not to use the kill switch only.

Well the new battery arrived via Fed-Ex in, (and get this), 16 hours after placing an order online at 1am this morning.... I am well pleased with that service, I got it from a link on this site. I'll check the voltage, charge if required and fit it.

Thank again for all the replies (yes , all)... I can take it on the chin when I've screwed up.

Last edited by AndyT; 03-29-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fingers like Bananas

Quick Reply: Flat battery yet again.... 2014 Road King