Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat battery yet again.... 2014 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016 | 06:29 AM
Vernal
Club Member

I hope your surgery went well.

I think what your looking for is in the second link. The first link is the jump starter you could use with it.
Good Luck
Bill

http://themicrostart.com/

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...t-harness-kit/

The following users liked this post:
AndyT (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 06:35 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Any of the new jump starters would work for you so you don't get stranded. Several available out there at reasonable prices. Most have adaptors to attach to your battery for frequent jump starts.

http://survivalfrog.com/products/pod...FUIfhgodZygJcA

AndyT (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 06:43 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

Seems to me that you've already had the best lessons you could possibly have and yet you still have not learned.

Not trying to be so hard on you but asking strangers for advice like this when maybe you should be seeking out a professional. I mean really dude, if being stranded more than once didn't teach you anything then there's probably little any of us can do for you.

Oh, and by the way. Tires go flat, batteries die. Is that some sort of a Brit thing?

Old 03-28-2016 | 06:45 AM
dougbk
Road Master

First as stated train yourself to use the ignition switch to turn the bike off.

Second there is no need to do a remote terminal to jump start a harley. All you need to do is pull the rubber boot back on the starter's cable lug and put the positive lead on it. Then attach the negative to a ground like the floor board bracket. Easy access and no seats to remove or extra wires to run.

The following 2 users liked this post by dougbk:
AndyT (03-28-2016), son of the hounds (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 08:32 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Buy a new battery and then train yourself (ie, see my tag line)

AndyT (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 08:41 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Your battery can ( and should be ) tested. It could be the source of your problem. A simple "Load Test" will give you the pertinent information you need in regards to it's condition and ability to recover. There is no "app" for Operator Error, however peace of mind could be achieved with one of the small power packs available that can be easily "stashed" in the event of another "brain fart".

AndyT (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:07 AM
AndyT
|
6th Gear

HI Guys, many thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful) replies. The tip about connecting the jump starter to the starter positive terminal is a great tip and i'll be looking into that just in case I screw up again which is a high possibility. I did buy one of the mini starter packs but haven't tested it yet. I saw the thread on here where they were $19 but they had all gone so paid about $69 from memory.

My battery is completely goosed and another on order. The battery was suspect from new but I doubt Harley would cover it under warranty. I don't know if my bike is still under warranty as the title doesn't give the date of first registration which seems odd. Is there anywhere I can get that info from such as a Government Vehicle site or similar??

Many thanks again.
AndyT

Old 03-28-2016 | 11:03 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by AndyT
HI Guys, many thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful) replies. The tip about connecting the jump starter to the starter positive terminal is a great tip and i'll be looking into that just in case I screw up again which is a high possibility. I did buy one of the mini starter packs but haven't tested it yet. I saw the thread on here where they were $19 but they had all gone so paid about $69 from memory.

My battery is completely goosed and another on order. The battery was suspect from new but I doubt Harley would cover it under warranty. I don't know if my bike is still under warranty as the title doesn't give the date of first registration which seems odd. Is there anywhere I can get that info from such as a Government Vehicle site or similar??

Many thanks again.
AndyT
Harley tech line 1 800 258 2464 and I bet if you call your local dealer they could help you.

AndyT (03-29-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 01:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AndyT
Any help and advice much appreciated as I'm quickly loosing faith in the bike and bought it to take me on a 50 state tour when I retire in a few months. I've seen threads for replacement batteries and will order a new one up as this one has always been suspect (wouldn't start when I picked it up from Mancuso SW in Houston)
it isn't the fob's fault. whether or not you had security on your bike, the shutdown would still be the same. you've just got to train yourself to make sure that you shut everything down. i'm sure you remember that you drained your battery several times, so when you stop somewhere, tell yourself that this isn't going to be another of those times. you had to train yourself to make sure that you turned off your key in your car, this is the same thing. whether or not you choose to forgo the 'kill switch' and just turn off the ignition, or continue using the kill switch, just make sure that you do it the same way every time, every time, you stop the bike. you'll soon have that habit ingrained and it won't be such a problem. seems to me that getting rid of the bike, or 'losing faith' in it is a pretty extreme solution

Old 03-28-2016 | 01:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

consider that "jumping" a dead battery will then require the charging system to not only power the bike, but also try to charge a duff battery.

This can place a load larger than rated capacity on your charging system straining the stator and the regulator.

a battery is $100 ( skill level 1)

a charging system is about $600 or more depending on the owner's abilities.

earlier referenced was the fact that a battery once discharged will only recharge to about 60% of it's previous capacity...so a 30 amp hour battery may only come back to 20 Ah...if discharged again....then 12 AH, etc etc

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-28-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Flat battery yet again.... 2014 Road King