Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Really Confused About APES.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Help! Really Confused About APES.

I'm wanting to put some Apes on my 2013 Ultra w/ABS. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Prime Apes, but I'm still on the fence about going with 10" or 13". I'm 6', 215lbs, have a tall torso and wear 36" sleeves so I think I'll have the reach, but looking at photos it appears to me with 13's I'd be reaching up to the bars instead if straight across on 10's. Having never ridden a bike with apes, I don't know if one is more comfortable than the other.

I've watched YouTube videos on installing them and for the most part it doesn't seem that hard, just slow and tedious. I have a service manual and enjoy doing stuff like this.

From what I gather, I'll need the kit with all the color coded wire extensions and a cable kit although a few people have posted with 10" bars they used the stock cables.

As I understand as long as I pull the main fuse the brakes should be the same as non ABS brakes?

I'm also thinking since I'm doing all of this I'd like to have the inner fairing painted same color as the bike. I like that look. Did you paint it yourself or did you take it somewhere to have it painted?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Marks57; 03-26-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

2013 Ultra? Road Glide or Classic?

Have 16" Khrome Werks on my 08 RG...depends on how low or high you sit as to where your hands will be....but I'm 5'-7.5" and hands are just at shoulder height with HD touring seat.

Keep in mind that on most handlebars the grip is lower than the rise height of the bars.

Last edited by twistr; 03-26-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

I had 12" bars on my 13 RG, went with 14" on the 16 RGS. The 12s were very comfortable, I just wanted a little more, and glad I went 14", even more comfortable than the 12s. I have them pulled back just a little more than even with the forks, this is with a corbin seat that is slightly lower and about 3/4" farther back than stock. I am 6' and wear 34/35 sleeves normally but they are a bit short. Used stock cables on the 12" but had to reroute. Had to buy extensions for 14" - full set (cables +wire extensions) was just over $500 but worth it, I love the bars. Non-ABS bike cables are a lot cheaper, did my better half's fat boy with no ABS and it was just over $200 for cables/wire extensions and that included idle/throttle cable.

Like you said, not difficult just tedious. Would also recommend getting the SE TBW wiring to get rid of the pain in the butt green plug.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:59 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 2012 ultra and installed wild ones 578,s that are 10 inch bars.To give you an ideal where your hands would be they are right even with the top of the fearing above the speakers.A abs bike does not need to have the brake line replaced,look on the side ofthe neck the line is tied strapped to the neck just cut that tie strap and you will have all the length you will need.cluth cable I used +6 but 4 would work just fine.As someone else said do use the SE throttle wire and save yourself a lot of head aches.And I did not extend any wires they where long enough.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:02 PM
SCbarber
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apes

I have 16" on my Road King and would not want anything less. I am 5'9.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Plus a little hint: 10" is not apes, its slightly taller bars.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:13 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been confused about "apes" on a touring bike, since the first time a saw them.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I've been confused about "apes" on a touring bike, since the first time a saw them.
Clearly someone who has not tried to ride a bike with apes.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:23 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Plus a little hint: 10" is not apes, its slightly taller bars.
I agree. I have 12" on my bike and it basically gives me a straight reach. Still wouldn't consider them Apes. But I do think they are comfortable.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:38 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bearing in mind that I'm in the extreme minority on this, here's my experience. I originally couldn't decide between 10" and 12" WO Chubby bars on my FLHTCU. My gut told me that 10" would be best, but I followed the much offered advice to go higher than you think you want and got the 12". Normally, the general consensus advice offered here is extremely helpful and true. However, it just didn't work out for me in this instance.

My 12" bars are at max rollback and very close to shoulder height for me. My arms are close to level when riding. I find this position comfortable on short rides. But on longer rides, I find myself taking my hands off the grips occasionally to lower my arms and "shake them out". Granted, some of this discomfort may come from being 55 years old and maybe the old heart isn't pumping like it used to. I don't know... this is only a guess on my part, but I'm clearly not getting full circulation to my hands and arms in this position over long distances. I'll be performing handlebar reduction surgery soon and taking mine back down to 10".

Again, most everyone else seems to love the higher bars. I'm in the minority on this and just wanted to offer a contrasting POV.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Help! Really Confused About APES.