Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Really Confused About APES.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:44 PM
RCinLaveen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO 10" bars are not apes. I've got 12" Yaffee black bars on my bike. Get the 13" bars and don't look back. And get a back rest for support if you don't have one yet.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm 6' as well and I have 10-1/2" Wild 1 Chubby mini apes. I love them. Before I added my fairing, I had them pushed a little forward (beyond even with the forks). I could definitely have gone with 12" apes. But I didn't, because I didn't want to have to extend any cables or lines (and yes, I would have had to). Once I added the fairing, I had to pull the bars back to even with the forks. Now my mirrors are maxed out in the 'up' direction, because the bars are at the limit of being 'too far' pulled back. So, ideally, I should probably have the 12". For you, I'd recommend 13".

HOWEVER: I have a Road King. You have an Ultra. Bagger bars are different, with the bend at the bottom that mine doesn't have. So 10's might work well for you without having any mirror issue or weird angle of the levers. Still, I'd recommend the 13" for you if you like riding with your arms at shoulder length. I do. ZenGlide didn't (for long trips) so his point is a good one. Go sit on bikes. Put your hands out where you want them to be when you ride. Then have someone measure that rise, the width between hands (often overlooked) and the pull back. THEN (and only then) choose your bars. Don't be surprised if the Prime Apes don't line up with your measurements. You still still have many options and can probably find some that look like the PA's but fit you better. Pick based on comfort first, then find the appearance that fits your riding style.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Why the discussion on whether 10" and 12" are called apes or not, the dude wants handlebars higher than what he has. Who cares what the "proper" name for them is. I put 12" rise bars on mine but I also have a dyna where I lowered the risers by 2" and am 5'9". I like the previously mentioned idea of just taking your hands and holding them out where you want the bars and then have someone measure the pullback and rise from your risers to figure out exactly what you need.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback. The "green plug" everyone says to use the SE TBW kit, if you get the extension kits that have all of the color matched extensions for both sides, does this serve the same purpose as the SE TBW kit?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Artexman
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a seat that sits me down an inch and back an inch. I'm 5'9" and went with 10" for a more comfortable ride as well as keeping my hands behind the fairing. Good luck with your choice and ride safe....

Old 03-28-2016, 02:40 AM
Visionary
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
I'm wanting to put some Apes on my 2013 Ultra w/ABS. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Prime Apes, but I'm still on the fence about going with 10" or 13". I'm 6', 215lbs, have a tall torso and wear 36" sleeves so I think I'll have the reach, but looking at photos it appears to me with 13's I'd be reaching up to the bars instead if straight across on 10's. Having never ridden a bike with apes, I don't know if one is more comfortable than the other.

I've watched YouTube videos on installing them and for the most part it doesn't seem that hard, just slow and tedious. I have a service manual and enjoy doing stuff like this.

From what I gather, I'll need the kit with all the color coded wire extensions and a cable kit although a few people have posted with 10" bars they used the stock cables.

As I understand as long as I pull the main fuse the brakes should be the same as non ABS brakes?

I'm also thinking since I'm doing all of this I'd like to have the inner fairing painted same color as the bike. I like that look. Did you paint it yourself or did you take it somewhere to have it painted?

Any input would be appreciated.
I believe your stock bars are 8 inches from the riser. Measure 4 to 5 inches above the top of your grips for 12 to 13 inch bars and reach out and see how it feels. I'm 6'3 and have a Sundowner and 12" mini apes on my Ultra, it's very comfortable but some times I think I could have gone with a 13 or 14' bar. The 1 inch mini apes shake like a wet dog when you don't have a hold of them, a 1 1/4 bar won't vibrate as much and I recommend poly bushings no matter what bars you go with. Also remember that after about 15 minutes of riding you won't be sitting straight up. Attached is pic of my 12s.

Attached Thumbnails Help! Really Confused About APES.-20160209_111013_resized.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

The comment about poly bushings with apes is critical. Taller bars will wobble noticeably without them.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I've never replaced the bushings on any 12" bars I've run.
Tried them once and the poly bushings transferred too much vibration so I've always kept the stockers without any problem.

YMMV.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM
oldmandan14
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6' 2" with 36-37 sleeve. I put 14" Vinditkas on mine and love them. I agree with replacing the mount bushings. (my son has 16" with stock bushings, they flex terribly)
I internally wired and PLUMBED mine for a really clean look.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of 10 PYO's and even though I wouldn't consider them apes, they are a great set of bars. I personally like the look of the 12's better, but my bad shoulder precludes from using them on a regular basis. Remember there's no wrong answer here, it's your ride, it's your comfort level and everyone else be damned!

Quick Reply: Help! Really Confused About APES.