Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Really Confused About APES.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:13 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Bearing in mind that I'm in the extreme minority on this, here's my experience. I originally couldn't decide between 10" and 12" WO Chubby bars on my FLHTCU. My gut told me that 10" would be best, but I followed the much offered advice to go higher than you think you want and got the 12". Normally, the general consensus advice offered here is extremely helpful and true. However, it just didn't work out for me in this instance.

My 12" bars are at max rollback and very close to shoulder height for me. My arms are close to level when riding. I find this position comfortable on short rides. But on longer rides, I find myself taking my hands off the grips occasionally to lower my arms and "shake them out". Granted, some of this discomfort may come from being 55 years old and maybe the old heart isn't pumping like it used to. I don't know... this is only a guess on my part, but I'm clearly not getting full circulation to my hands and arms in this position over long distances. I'll be performing handlebar reduction surgery soon and taking mine back down to 10".

Again, most everyone else seems to love the higher bars. I'm in the minority on this and just wanted to offer a contrasting POV.

Good luck with your decision.
Just goes to show different strokes for different folks. Going 12" eliminated all my shoulder pain and especially the area between the shoulder blade. If I went any shorter it would not have helped. Plus they look bitchin'!Attachment 465455

Old 03-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I have 12" on my RK but probably would have been happier with 14". Sometimes I feel like I am reaching for the bars after I get settled in on a long ride. With 14" I could have kept the bars at the same angle but the extra height would have got them a little closer to my body. I am the same height and weight as you. The seat that you use also has a lot to do with fit. My 12" bars fit better when I have the two-up Sundowner seat on because it puts me closer to the bars. The solo seat that I use the most sits me farther back on the bike, and I have to reach for them a little more.

I don't think that you will regret the 13" at all.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

10" apes are actually "Apes" when you're only 5'1" like my sister.

OP: Just for reference I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and 33/34 or something sleeve.
While running 12.5" apes I am in no way reaching skyward.
About 1/2 an inch below my shoulders.

Think you'll be fine with 13" apes.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:35 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: Find a way to try them. As previous posters have said a lot depends on the seat you have. If you are considering a new seat, do that first. I am 5'8" and have 12.5 WOs on my RK. I wish I had gone with 14s for the same reasons Quickbiscuit stated. I would think at you height 16s would be about right.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I am no fan of apes for riding and think they look silly on fairinged bikes but I had 16"s on my old road King. They were pretty comfortable?? At 6 feet my hands were not really over my shoulders.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 03-27-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 AM
Tyree
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read about this somewhere on the forum, worked well for me in deciding bar height for my Softail.

You'll need a pole of some sort, dowel rod or maybe a broom handle. Sit on the bike, feet on the footboards; you'll need to figure out how to keep the bike balanced, lift works well. Now close your eyes and hold the pole in a position that feels comfortable. Open your eyes and measure the height for your new bars. Also good way to confirm width and pullback. Measuring can be tricky if you are doing this by yourself. I rigged a yardstick at the base of the bars and leaned it against the pole.

Some may find this silly, but it worked for me. And that's is how I will do it when I switch out the bars on my RK.

Remember to replace riser bushings with poly while you are at it.

The following users liked this post:
cass (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've always changed the stock bars on the Harleys I've purchased because the OE bars always seem to give me a pain in my shoulder and neck. The ones that worked best for me were the ones that put my hands at shoulder height, hands wider than my shoulders, & a slight bend in my arms. So, from my experience, height, width, & pullback will not only affect whether you need different cables, they may affect your comfort. Buying bars over the internet is somewhat of a crap shoot without knowing the dimensions you want. And that's difficult to determine sitting in a shop trying different bars at a display for a couple of minutes. What may seem comfortable for 1 minute can turn into the situation ZenGlide runs into after riding for a length of time. And what works for me, may not work for you. Take your time, do some research, take down some measurements & talk to some reputable manufacturers. Good luck, be comfortable & ride safe.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,866 Likes on 11,568 Posts

I really like the comfort of these 16"....Could have been a little wider maybe, dunno...
Overall, I have put many 500 plus mile day-rides on these and really like'em
Your best bet is to measure, measure, measure....ask a friend to help will make it much easier.

Attached Thumbnails Help! Really Confused About APES.-img_6074-large-.jpg  

Last edited by ybnorml; 03-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Clearly someone who has not tried to ride a bike with apes.
Clearly correct, and never will.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I agree. I have 12" on my bike and it basically gives me a straight reach. Still wouldn't consider them Apes. But I do think they are comfortable.
I have 10-12" on my Heritage, and yes very good bar, "apes" no.

Quick Reply: Help! Really Confused About APES.