Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide price advice - go, no go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016 | 06:54 AM
Jason Oates
|
Tourer

Thanks for all of the advice! I looked again and it's difficult to gauge: a search today ('11-'15, $10-$16k within 200 miles of Northern Virginia) displayed 11 results: overwhelmingly they were 2011's with an avg of 15k-30k miles for an avg of $16k. A few of the more expensive units had significantly more miles and it was only a 2013 still with high miles that was the newest listing.

Old 03-24-2016 | 07:42 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Hold out for a 14+ Rushmore, it's well worth the little extra. The linked ABS brakes could save your beacon, what is that worth? The high output motor, beefier front end, on and on.

Old 03-24-2016 | 07:47 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Even though the dealer is asking $15,999, that doesn't mean you have to pay $15,999... There's at probably a grand that can be negotiated away. And there are things on the rushmore bikes that I don't like.

Old 03-24-2016 | 07:48 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Like others have said...that seems a bit strong. If you can afford it, you should be able to find a 2104 Special for no more than $18,000 OTD. A Standard...$17,000. World of difference in the bikes. You didn't say if that 2011 had the Power Pak...which included the 103 motor. If it it doesn't, then that is a real high price.

Old 03-24-2016 | 07:59 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

As a SG rider, I agree with the others I think for the 2011 , and 29K miles you could do better... All these dealers have so many of these used bikes for sale it's crazy.... I too think you should beable to talk the dealer down 1K easy... Don't let the spring riding fever effect you.. Take your time New bikes have a very low interest rate right now, and I am sure the dealer would offer you even more for your bike if you popped for a new one.
Tell them thanks but no thanks... walk out the door if they want to sell they will call you.

Old 03-24-2016 | 09:44 AM
Summer Heat
Intermediate

2012 / chrome front / painted inner / 4 point dock / V&H slip on's / inner mirrors, passenger boards... on an on, over $3,600 in HD addons.
4,600 miles - $14,600 Indiana in Jan 2014. Around here that price has not changed (they might be asking more, but they ain't selling at asking for sure)

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide price advice - go, no go?-bobapalooza-2014.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016 | 12:18 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior

Being honest...... if the bike I like and want is right in front of me. It's worth $1000 more to me. Than driving around looking at junk. I've drove around looking for deals, years ago.

On the other hand. If it's not the bike you have to have. Keep it moving. No sense in settling for less than you want or expect.

Old 03-24-2016 | 05:41 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jason Oates
Quick question for you Touring experts! I have an '05 Wide Glide that I'm interested in trading in for a Street Glide. (I do love the Wide Glide, but I've been itching for a Street Glide for some time.)

Obviously I'm getting slightly screwed with the trade-in (convenience of not scheduling private-party test rides and haggling), but I'd like your input in reference to the price. Street Glide prices (due to their popularity) are ALL over the place, seemingly irregardless of year or mileage, so it's difficult to know what's a "good deal."

The one that I'm looking at is a 2011 Street Glide with 29,000 miles. It's chromed up (nice, but obviously we add our own touches), and it has a 2-2 Rineheart exhaust setup, obviously fluid changes and new tires. Very clean looking all around. The listed price is $15,999 with around $600 of taxes. Dealers fees seem very small comapred to when I bought the Wide Glide.

What's your all's input? I understand they're a profit-making organization, no problem with that, although does this seem like a "reasonable" deal or is there any likely wiggle room that you've seen?

Thanks!
When dealers take trades on bikes, they give next to nothing for any/all modifications (unless it helps them get a higher price on the "other" bike in the deal). Basically, mods are worthless on trade in. Therefore, you cannot look at this bike and include the customizations in your valuation. Look up the retail price (KBB can help. I think Edmunds might be able to, too. Also look at ChopperExchange and Cycle Trader to see what others are asking for this bike. KBB and Edmunds will give you actual data for what the value is. The others just show what other places are ASKING for the bike). Once you know the retail price for a 2011 SG with those miles, adjust for the condition of the bike and add in any FACTORY options.

The dealer didn't pay a dime for the true dual Rineheart exhaust on trade, so why should you? If you want a negotiating ploy, tell him those are nice, but you prefer Vance and Hines, so you'll probably swap those out anyway, so they have little value to you. Same thing with any other non-factory "extras".

Look, I don't begrudge the dealer trying to maximize their profit. They are a for-profit business after all. But like with any purchase, a consumer has to be EDUCATED. As you said, Street Glide prices are ALL over the place. So get an understanding of that range and figure out what YOU are willing to pay. He knows what he wants to make, but he's going to shoot higher than that. And if he can't make you a deal on that one, some one else can (or maybe even he can) on another one. Just like prices are all over the place, so are Street Glides. Especially black ones. Even ones with Rinehart TD's.

The dealer knows what they have to make on a bike, so they won't make a bad deal with you, so don't worry about shooting low. Likewise, you need to do your homework and find out what deal will make you happy, and stick to that. Maybe $15,999 is a good deal for where you live. But wouldn't you love to ride a fantastic new bike, knowing you got an incredible deal on it, too? Patience, education and self-discipline are your tools. Good luck! And don't pay a dime for non-factory extras!

Old 03-24-2016 | 06:12 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

I know selling your bike yourself is a pain but the extra cash would allow you to go after a better deal.

Old 03-24-2016 | 08:20 PM
Lobo45
Cruiser

The stealership will screw you for sure, sell it on your own. The price is to high, you almost get a new for that. Be patient, there are allot of owners/people selling there street glides on the market and nice deals at that. If yours is paid off, you have the upper hand, just shop around.