Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch woes

So I have had the most hellacious time with my clutch. all started with a broken fairing bracket. disconnected clutch, fixed bracket.

put it all back together and i can not for the life of me get the clutch to do what it's supposed to. I have adjusted it "the easy way" and by the book multiple times, and i can't get bike to roll easily with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. I did this multiple times before thinking maybe starting the bike would change things.. and bike seemed to idle high (might of been in my head) and was making a racket, i shut er down before attempting a shift. I have taken apart the transmission side and checked and re-seated the ball bearings. i took apart the clutch pack assembly and checked it out and re-assembled. and i have gotten exactly no where. I have adjusted the clutch on this bike before without issue.

I pride myself on doing all my work but it looks like i have met my match and i have absolutely no clue why. any thoughts?

Last edited by Frank Dukes; 03-22-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:17 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

How old is the clutch cable? Is it possible that when you originally put slack in it that it got jammed up? Does it feel like the clutch cable is actually disengaging the clutch?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer

yes, i can see it physically moving the clutch with the derby off. My adjustments seem to be correct and doing what they should, other than allowing the correct amount of resistance. I have admitted defeat and will be calling dealer in the morning.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

9 time out of 10, you are leaving it too loose. Be sure cable has a slight amount of play. You want to be able to move the plates. Screw the adjuster at the clutch in to no play and couple turns further to debut fine thread. Now come back out and then back in moving the clutch lever to you know you are filling the no play. Now back of your 3/4 turn, and snug the lock nut. Adjust the cable play to just a 1/16. If that does not fix it, you have warped plates, bad throw out bearing or tight cable. Doubt cable is bad on an 09 and unless you abuse it, clutch is OK since they are tough.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Dukes (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes
...i can't get bike to roll easily with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in...
It isn't uncommon for the clutch discs to stick together when the bike has been sitting for a while, esp. when it's cold.

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes
...my bike is idling sky high and does not sound right in neutral...
This isn't a clutch problem.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

if the clutch cable isn't routed right, it will not work right. it needs to be exactly how it was in stock configuration.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
if the clutch cable isn't routed right, it will not work right. it needs to be exactly how it was in stock configuration.
That makes sense.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have admitted defeat and will be calling dealer in the morning.
Best thing I have read though I'm not sure what kind of help they will give you over the phone other than an appointment time to bring the miserable bitche in.

Because you have taken off everything necessary to remove the clutch basket and the trans cover... i'm at my witts end just reading everything.

during the clutch adjustment... when you say you did it by the book... so you drew the clutch cable adjuster inward all the way so that there was absolutely ZERO tension what-so-ever at the clutch lever? Then you adjusted your clutch (backing it off and tightening it down), then went back to the clutch cable adjuster and began backing out the adjuster to tension the clutch lever?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Frank Dukes
Tourer

Originally Posted by mdm
It isn't uncommon for the clutch discs to stick together when the bike has been sitting for a while, esp. when it's cold.

This isn't a clutch problem.
yes cable adjuster brought all the way to the far end. What has dawned on me doing some more reading is the actual pushrod that connects the throwout bearing side and the clutch adjuster side is one thing i have not physically checked on. which if broken might explain the racket i heard when i started her up. the idle may just have been my imagination after a long night in the garage. it hasn't ran since October.

Basically I'm at the point where i order a whole new performance clutch, throwout bearing side internals and try this **** over again or call the dealer and let them pick the miserable bitch up. I'm gonna think it over til after work and make a decision.

Last edited by Frank Dukes; 03-22-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I know if you buy a new oil spinner/throwout bearing - it is pressed onto the spindle as opposed to it being a single piece. So its best to buy the little (nearly negligible cost) bearings, new rod, and clutch side pieces. And for the love... when you push off the circlip... put a piece of electrical tape around it... mine flew off and vaporized mid air.

If you end up with a performance clutch... I'd get a new cable and easyboy lite.

Keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Dukes (03-22-2016)

Quick Reply: clutch woes