Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 425 Likes on 258 Posts

You bought an extended warranty for a reason - I'd find another dealer that will actually honor their work. Someone in Florida has got to know which dealership will work with you.

Or you can go back to the original dealer, get the Service Manager to give you the same stupid answer and then, as suggested, walk over to the Sales Section and see what they'll give you for her. Get pissed and then remain calm while you point out their moronic logic that "all is normal" while they get nervous about the "trade value" of said ride. It's supposed to be just fine...

Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Been thinking about this one. If it was mine, I would go to another dealer and play DUMB. "Hey, my bike recently started over heating and knocking and running poorly. I need to know what can be done to fix it.",and shut up. No mention of other dealers, other diagnosis, other attempts to BS you. Let them take it on as a totally new problem to you, and "oh yeah, BTW I have the extended warranty", after they actually find out the REAL PROBLEM.

Almost 50 years in sales and customer service, and believe this is the best way to get something done. Hope that helps. The trade-in scenerio may be fun to do, but if you are really happy with your bike except for the current problem, don't take a loss trading, which you will, regardless. tomp

Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

The extended warranty does not limit you to the dealership. Find an approved shop. There are tons of them.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
You're absolutely sure your EITMS is turned off?
Kinda wonder the condition of your ET sensor. Could be reading wonky once the engine gets good in hot - in traffic.
I was going to suggest the same thing

Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Had to turn my computer 90*, but heard something that didn't belong. Keep us informed...tp dd50
Yeah - Depends on the player used to view it.

It gets excessively hot real quick when idling and if EITMS is activated it begins to knock within a very short time. It has died on me twice in stop and go traffic which isn't much fun at all.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRabbit
All I can really tell you is that "something" is "NOT" working as originally designed to work and that is precisely why I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the bike. Unfortunately, what good is the warranty if nobody can repair it.

Although my cell doesn't do a great job with video, I recorded this short segment moments after it started knocking. This knocking started approx 1 1/2 min after I pulled into the garage from a 50 mile ride this evening. I can make it do it at will but the Harley guys can't seem to be able to make it happen.

http://www.hwtocala.com/harley/output.avi

I'm completely frustrated and am almost convinced I should just ride the da** thing and let it break. Then they will have to fix it. Only problem with scenario is Murphy's Law say I will be a very long ways from home when it happens and of course my wife will be with me.

I'm just venting now so I better stop.....

Thanks
Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Almost sounds like a putter an exhaust leak makes.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

So I read this whole thread start to finish. I have seen mention that the bike has been on the dyno several times and they keep saying nothing is wrong. Well, sure, on paper when you have the perfect controlled environment.

But what I have not seen mentioned is if any mech has actually gone out and ridden the thing. As in, OP, take the bike out and ride it to get it good and warmed up, then go to dealer have have them go actually ride it in traffic. Either that or they let you run it in the dyno room to warm up and point out exactly the behavior. I cannot fathom a shop telling you what you have been told.

Only other thing I would offer or question. If you did not buy this new, are you or the seller/dealership 100% certain of any modifications to the bike prior to your owning it? I ask because mine came from a dealer but it had modifications that they did not do so they did not have a full list. I had to contact the shop that did the engine work to get the details in order to correct some problems that I found that were related to the work they did.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 AM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 113 Posts

Just want to add my experience. I live in Texas and i purchased a new 2012 Roadgide in August 2013. The wife and I went for an evening ride and we experienced exactly what you describe. The bike overheated to the point it would not idle. The dealer had to get a download from the MOCO due to corrupt data on the ECM. They also did a stage 1 download and I turned the ETMIS off and everything was ok still ran hot as hell but ran ok. Not long after all this the ETS (engine temp sensor) failed and finally showed a code.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by larry bart
Just want to add my experience. I live in Texas and i purchased a new 2012 Roadgide in August 2013. The wife and I went for an evening ride and we experienced exactly what you describe. The bike overheated to the point it would not idle.
Did yours also begin shaking rather violently and begin knocking?

The dealer had to get a download from the MOCO due to corrupt data on the ECM.
How did the dealer determine the data was corrupt on the ECM?

They also did a stage 1 download and I turned the ETMIS off and everything was ok still ran hot as hell but ran ok. Not long after all this the ETS (engine temp sensor) failed and finally showed a code.
Turning off the EITMS is a solution to keeping the bike running but I think this just "adds" to the heat problem a great deal. Remember, I rode it for a year through the summer months in Florida with no issues and I was as happy as pig in sh** with it. Suddenly something has happened making the bike absolutely miserable to ride and nobody seems to be able to fix it, or for that matter, even acknowledge a problem exists.

I'm venting again. Sorry!!!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by cprhed
So I read this whole thread start to finish. I have seen mention that the bike has been on the dyno several times and they keep saying nothing is wrong. Well, sure, on paper when you have the perfect controlled environment.
I'm told it went on the dyno. I did not witness it nor did I ever receive a printout of the map. All I have seen (from the second dealer) I took it to is a horse power and torque graph. I asked for a copy of the map file that was supposedly flashed to the ECM through my Screaming Eagle Street Performance Tuner so I could load it into the street tuner software and see what the settings are. I don't have that either.

But what I have not seen mentioned is if any mech has actually gone out and ridden the thing. As in, OP, take the bike out and ride it to get it good and warmed up, then go to dealer have have them go actually ride it in traffic. Either that or they let you run it in the dyno room to warm up and point out exactly the behavior. I cannot fathom a shop telling you what you have been told.
They told me on the phone a couple of times the mech took it for a long ride and couldn't make it knock as I described even after I explained exactly how to make it knock. I offered to go to the dealer and make it start knocking for them but nothing came of it. Also, in another post I mentioned the service manager actually heard it knocking and then later denied it.

Only other thing I would offer or question. If you did not buy this new, are you or the seller/dealership 100% certain of any modifications to the bike prior to your owning it? I ask because mine came from a dealer but it had modifications that they did not do so they did not have a full list. I had to contact the shop that did the engine work to get the details in order to correct some problems that I found that were related to the work they did.
Excellent point but I'm guessing nothing like that took place. Keep in mind I am the one that had the Stage 1 upgrade installed in the spring of last year and it ran just fine for the remainder of the year and very early spring (almost a year). Something has suddenly gone south. The dealers don't know what it is so they attempt to convince me I just haven't learned how a Harley behaves and I should just get used to it. BS

Quick Reply: Engine detonation and just runs like crap