Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ThunderRabbit.
Just curious - - - What was the solution on your bike?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:33 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuk13
Hey ThunderRabbit.
I was wondering that too. Was the intermittently broken wire possibility ever addressed? Seems that would have been checked first thing, but was never mentioned.

Never had similar problems with any Harleys I've owned, so this is interesting to me, for that "just in case" future problem should it ever arise with my current bike. tp

Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default running bad

Just an idea, but my bike was running like crap a few years ago and it turned out to be a very simple fix. The exhaust flange bolts had come loose and it was letting the engine suck air in thru the exhaust flange area thereby fooling the exhaust gas sensors. Check them and if they are loose your problem will be solved.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by Runamuk13
Hey ThunderRabbit.
Sorry for the late reply. Was out of town for a few days.

I did take it to another dealer and according to them it was running very lean (18:1 AFR). I do find that a little tough to swallow. They apparently tweaked some settings and flashed a new map. I saw the dyno print out and it did appear to make some improvement.

However, it hasn't seemed to have mad any improvement in the heat issue. It is still running much hotter than it did 6 months ago. I purchased an UltraCool oil cooler hoping that might help. Nope. Perhaps some LoveJugs - but I shouldn't have to spend money on those types of fixes.

The heat coming off the engine is almost unbearable in stop and go traffic as well as engine idle performance is in the toilet. I have to keep rolling the throttle to keep it running. Of course that just generates more heat. Catch 22. It is getting to the point my wife doesn't want to ride with me any longer. She has noticed it as well. Big time.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait until something finally breaks to discover what the problem is.

Thanks for your interest.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:54 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
I was wondering that too. Was the intermittently broken wire possibility ever addressed? Seems that would have been checked first thing, but was never mentioned.
I don't believe anyone actually did any testing. I did, however, record a 15 minute session on the race tuner which included about 5 - 7 minutes idling and getting very hot. I played the recording back hoping to see some oddity in a sensor or control device. Nothing was obvious.

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Never had similar problems with any Harleys I've owned, so this is interesting to me, for that "just in case" future problem should it ever arise with my current bike. tp
I never had "any" issues with mine the first year I owned it. In fact I always bragged how great it ran. Whatever happened came on very suddenly. I guess the biggest reason my nose is out of joint is, I'm getting really fed up with the innuendos that just because I've only owned a Harley for a couple of years I haven't learned how they behave. I ride it every day and when it begins to run differently/badly I know it. When the engine gets so hot it burns my legs, begins to knock loudly, stalls/dies in stop and go traffic and just plain runs like crap something is very wrong. The dealer service manager heard it knocking while it was idling and simply reached over and turned off the ignition. He wouldn't give me an answer when I asked him if it was supposed to do that.

I'm just not handling this well at all. I'm pi**ed to say the least.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

I just read all this and said WOW!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:29 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRabbit
Sorry for the late reply. Was out of town for a few days.

I did take it to another dealer and according to them it was running very lean (18:1 AFR). I do find that a little tough to swallow. They apparently tweaked some settings and flashed a new map. I saw the dyno print out and it did appear to make some improvement.

However, it hasn't seemed to have mad any improvement in the heat issue. It is still running much hotter than it did 6 months ago. I purchased an UltraCool oil cooler hoping that might help. Nope. Perhaps some LoveJugs - but I shouldn't have to spend money on those types of fixes.

The heat coming off the engine is almost unbearable in stop and go traffic as well as engine idle performance is in the toilet. I have to keep rolling the throttle to keep it running. Of course that just generates more heat. Catch 22. It is getting to the point my wife doesn't want to ride with me any longer. She has noticed it as well. Big time.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait until something finally breaks to discover what the problem is.

Thanks for your interest.

It would be nice to know what the AFR was after the tweaks. No way in hell should you ever be running an AFR that high. That is too lean. AFR should be < 14.5:1 at idle and decrease as you increase load on the engine. That most certainly would explain the excessive heat issue however it doesn't explain why the AFR was so high. I think your problem could be related to the fuel system if you can't locate any issues with the intake / exhaust system and assuming the tuning is correct. Has the fuel system pressure been checked to see it is correct and are both injectors working properly? Keep us posted and good luck.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:25 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Find a trusted tuner and have it dyno'd. That will reveal all.
Cheaper then just swapping parts out and much better than just staying pissed at HD.

Whole thing sounds like an Intake leak.

Been there man.... it sucks.

Last edited by lp; 05-01-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by vheflin
It would be nice to know what the AFR was after the tweaks. No way in hell should you ever be running an AFR that high. That is too lean. AFR should be < 14.5:1 at idle and decrease as you increase load on the engine. That most certainly would explain the excessive heat issue however it doesn't explain why the AFR was so high. I think your problem could be related to the fuel system if you can't locate any issues with the intake / exhaust system and assuming the tuning is correct. Has the fuel system pressure been checked to see it is correct and are both injectors working properly? Keep us posted and good luck.
All I can really tell you is that "something" is "NOT" working as originally designed to work and that is precisely why I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the bike. Unfortunately, what good is the warranty if nobody can repair it.

Although my cell doesn't do a great job with video, I recorded this short segment moments after it started knocking. This knocking started approx 1 1/2 min after I pulled into the garage from a 50 mile ride this evening. I can make it do it at will but the Harley guys can't seem to be able to make it happen.

http://www.hwtocala.com/harley/output.avi

I'm completely frustrated and am almost convinced I should just ride the da** thing and let it break. Then they will have to fix it. Only problem with scenario is Murphy's Law say I will be a very long ways from home when it happens and of course my wife will be with me.

I'm just venting now so I better stop.....

Thanks

Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Had to turn my computer 90*, but heard something that didn't belong. Keep us informed...tp dd50

Quick Reply: Engine detonation and just runs like crap