Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:17 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDN. RG
not sure if mentioned but could be a possible sumping issue,this will make engine run rough and over heat,should be no more than about 6 ounces of oil in crankcase when pulling crankcase drain plug after a ride.
If you have sump issues wouldn't there be some indication in loss of oil pressure?

In your opinion, how much time do you have to remove the plug after shutting the motor down to to perform a valid test?

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRabbit
If you have sump issues wouldn't there be some indication in loss of oil pressure?
No. It would be an issue on the scavenging side which is not under pressure.

Also, if it was sumping, the engine would not want to rev. If your engine revs up to 4-5K like always then it's probably not sumping. Just something to check.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
No. It would be an issue on the scavenging side which is not under pressure.

Also, if it was sumping, the engine would not want to rev. If your engine revs up to 4-5K like always then it's probably not sumping. Just something to check.
I'm reasonably certain I can disqualify sumping. I have no difficulty getting the revs up and it is very responsive under throttle. No sluggishness at all.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Would be funny if you took it to the dealership that said that that's normal and see if they will take it in on a trade. If they say no cause of the issues, you could say what issues? Your techs say it's normal....

Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to the dealer that did the dyno. Sit out front and let it idle until it starts doing it's thing, then have them check it out while it is screwing up.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Would be funny if you took it to the dealership that said that that's normal and see if they will take it in on a trade. If they say no cause of the issues, you could say what issues? Your techs say it's normal....
Funny you should mention this. I actually had the same notion.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Go to the dealer that did the dyno. Sit out front and let it idle until it starts doing it's thing, then have them check it out while it is screwing up.
I have already done this.

When I went to pick it up after they called and said it was ready the first time, I let it idle until it started knocking with the service manager standing right next to me. He acknowledged the knock.

Instead of taking it home I left there for them to work on it some more. Five days later it still wasn't fixed. Their excuse was that they sent a technician on a test ride for about 10 miles and everything was fine. They couldn't get it to knock again. Even after me attempting to explain once again they didn't need to take it for a ride. Simply start it, let it idle and it won't be long until it starts knocking.

When MoCo sent me an Email asking for a rating and review of my service experience I can assure it wasn't favorable at all. However, I really don't expect to hear anything from corporate.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRabbit

When MoCo sent me an Email asking for a rating and review of my service experience I can assure it wasn't favorable at all. However, I really don't expect to hear anything from corporate.
I'd be shocked if you wold hear anything from the MoCo, for the most part they don't get involved with dealer affairs.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:21 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I would be looking for a good Indy.shop.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:30 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try something as simple as this. take off the mufflers and let it run awhile and see if it will start knocking. what do you have to lose? maybe mice crawled in there and built a nice comfy little home for himself and family. you did say it runs a little cooler from one side didn't you. it's happened before

Quick Reply: Engine detonation and just runs like crap