Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

IAC working properly?

Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

No IAC on TBW bikes. 07 was last year for the IAC. Sounds to be me like she's only running on the front cylinder when hot. I would mention safety issue and liability next time you are speaking with the service manager. It's why you have warranty. Check spark with a spare plug first that you know works. Could be simple as a lose boot on one plug.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

You didn't somehow managed to have gotten the oxygen sensors crossed up did you?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not clear to me whether YOU checked for codes. Your dealer may have but something could have changed and this may show up if you check for codes. Check post #3.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:12 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
rent a trailer and get the bike to the closest competing dealer.
Great advice. Your just driving yourself crazy at this point. Save yourself some grief and take it someplace else.
If they tell you the same thing as your current dealer then consider that it is all in your head and you are already crazy.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Xpressway
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
You didn't somehow managed to have gotten the oxygen sensors crossed up did you?
This is what came to mind. It will show some, if not all the symptoms your describing.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Longridertx
First thing is get rid of the street tuner. It only allows canned EPA maps and very little if any adjustments. The street tuner will have maps that are lean. Lean means it will run hotter. Check out the things others have told you to check and if all those things are good get rid of the street tuner. If you want to stay with Harley products go with the SEPST(pro super tuner). It will allow a good dyno tech to tune the bike. There are other flash tuners out there that work just as well.
I am beginning to see what you mean. I trusted my dealer to advise me appropriately when I asked about doing the Stage 1 conversion and it was the service managers suggestion to include the street tuner. I am/was a novice and took his advice.

At the very least I can hook the tuner up and view in real time all the sensor and output values to see if I can spot any abnormalities. Since I already have it and the harness is installed can it possibly hurt anything to leave it?

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
rent a trailer and get the bike to the closest competing dealer.
I believe I have reached that point. This entire episode has really started to pi** me off. I'm growing very tired of being told that's just the way a Harley is when the first 10 months I owned it it ran just fine and I loved it. Now it runs like sh** and I 'm more or less being told get used to it. They ride it and tell me they can find nothing wrong.

Sooner or later I'll get a handle on this.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
If they are crossed it would have been the dealer that did it. I have touched nothing. I don't even know how to tell one from the other.

Thanks for the thought.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hausguy
It's not clear to me whether YOU checked for codes. Your dealer may have but something could have changed and this may show up if you check for codes. Check post #3.
The dealer told me there were no codes, current or historic. Last night I connected the tuner and watched several of the sensor values while idling and there were no codes showing then. That's all I can tell you.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Engine detonation and just runs like crap