Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloce call, almost dropped - Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Thread points out something most of us overlook while performing maintenance on our bikes.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes it does. Thanks op. Plus, for a long while I've thought i shoud develop a critical fasteners list and conform my tool kit to the list. It's time.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

When I service my 'King up on the dolly, I put a wrench or socket on EVERY fastener I see from all angles.
Thanks for alerting all to this often overlooked fastener, and critical it is!

Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

good post tks.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman142 (11-04-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:13 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
When I service my 'King up on the dolly, I put a wrench or socket on EVERY fastener I see from all angles.
Thanks for alerting all to this often overlooked fastener, and critical it is!
I think a lot of us that grew up with shovelheads and panheads,learned to maintain bikes a lot better than the newbies have. It's kinda like that first year of owning an old bike,it was hard to find something that wasn't ready to fall off!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:16 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Good reminder. I did a maintenance on this recently with an engine oil change. I try to check the stand every time I check tire pressure, since it's on the jack.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I carry an extra jiffy spring in the tour pack. You never know when yours is gonna either drop off or break....or if your riding buddy might need a spring. Maintenance of the jiffy stand spring and mounts is important. I also carry cable ties, but I hope I never need them to hold up the jiffy leg.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Just a reminder about the pre-ride inspection we all learned in our Basic Rider Course.

T-CLOCS

S is sidestand

In other words, you should be checking it before each ride.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:26 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc

Looking down on the Jiffy retaining bolt.

I got home from a grocery run on the RKC, and decided to park it outside the garage. I've got a ritual few steps to park it on the jiffy stand; I use a quick flick of my heel to fling the stand with enough speed that it carries out to the stop, and I simultaneously start leaning the bike over onto the stand.
This time, when I heel-kicked it, it sounded different, and I noticed the tip of the stand swinging back-'n-forth, instead of resting at the stop. I had already starting to lean over onto the stand, but I could see/feel that the bike was leaning too far. I caught the weight just in time to keep it from going over...barely! I backed the bike up, and pulled the right side up to the garage door opening, with just enough right-side lean over-center. Leaving it in 1st gear, the crash bar rested solidly against the garage opening.
I laid a pad on the concrete, and got horizontal to investigate. The spring had come unclipped from the jiffy, but was still hanging on the frame. The bolt and the clocking tab under it were obviously WAY loose, only a few threads holding it in. I re-oriented everything, then tightened the bolt securely. With the jiffy in the "stowed" position, it was easy enough to stretch the spring enough to hook it onto the hole, by putting a long small diameter screwdriver thru the hook on the end of the spring and pulling on the screwdriver shaft with both hands.
This bolt will become an additional maintenance check whenever I have the bike on the lift for oil change, tires, or just washing. Please check yours.
*edit* - dammit, I really can spell "close". Can't seem to edit the thread title, though.
==================

Nice Catch!

Another case for " Blue Loctite! "

Any bolt and or nut i remove or thats come loose over time on my bike requiring tightening/trqing gets blue loctite unless its in a sever duty app requiring Red loctite thats very hard to remove/break loose.

If i am not mistaken applying heat can help removal of red loctited fastners that dont want to break loose.

Scott

Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I carry an extra jiffy spring in the tour pack. You never know when yours is gonna either drop off or break....or if your riding buddy might need a spring. Maintenance of the jiffy stand spring and mounts is important. I also carry cable ties, but I hope I never need them to hold up the jiffy leg.
I had my last Road king lowered in the front and rear. I was forever stretching a spring it seemed. I found some aftermarket piece that clamped on the frame rail underneath the bike. If the kickstand was inop, the kickstand would press fit into that piece. Didn't have to use it but once, but it came in handy.

Head

Quick Reply: Cloce call, almost dropped - Warning!