Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine died on Mother's Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 AM
cudastu
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine died on Mother's Day

Me & Mama were out for a nice ride onMother's Day on our 2001 ultra (fuel injected). We were up in the hills miles away from most everything when things went down hill for me!

We were cruisin along about 50 MPH when all of a sudden the engine died. While coasting to a stop I shut off the ignition and turned it back on--the engine started and ran about 2 seconds or so. Did that two more times beforeit finally wouldn't run. We pulled over andMama wanted to know what I was gonna do to fix it--right away. Guys, I was under the gun!

After we stopped, got off the bike, stood around for a couple minutes I decided to see if it would start. I turned theignition on and about all I got was a blinking fuel injection lite. Blinked about 5 or 6 times. I tried it again and got the same thing.

It was time for the cell phone as Mama was wanting to know who we had towing service with?
Well, I have towing service, but how do you get in touch with them when you have no signal. Things were lookinga little shaky for me.

After about 5 minutes of deliberating I decided to try the ignition once again. The engine fired up. I looked atMama and said, "I told you I could fix it!" We jumped on the bike and rode 75 miles home without any further problem.

I cannot duplicate the problem. I have not been able to find anyone that can tell me why this happened. It kinda worries me as next month we are heading out for a trip to Canada. Sure would hate being stranded on some back road to the north of us. Can any of you Ole Timers give me a hand with this problem?

Thanks a bunch...
CudaStu

Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM
SMT
Tourer
Default RE: Engine died on Mother's Day

Check the bank angle sensor.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 AM
cudastu
Stage III

Thanks for responding so quickly. How would the bank angle sensor cause this and how do I tell if its messed up?

Cudastu

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Rick 547
Tourer

I had a simmilar problem on a 01 Dyna Wideglide. I was running down I 95 in florida at about 80 miles an hour and the bike just quit running. Pulled over to the side of the road and after a couple of minutes it fired back up and off I went. It never happened again. I traded it in a couple of years later on a new 04 Road King Custom.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
Bad gas?
Clogged fuel filter?
Fuel pump starting to go bad?
Defective fuel injector(s)?
Bad wire(s) associated with fuel injection system?

Might be worth a trip to the dealer & have them check it out for you. A hundred bucks or so for diagnostic time might be worth it with a major road trip coming up...

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 AM
SMT
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cudastu

Thanks for responding so quickly. How would the bank angle sensor cause this and how do I tell if its messed up?

Cudastu
The BAS is basically a mercury switch that kills the engine when the bike falls over. The 99-02 models had a bracket issue and I believe the factory was fixing them for free...but don't quote me on that.

Long story short...the bracket breaks and the engine dies because the sensor thinks the bike fell over.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM
son7771
Cruiser

My 01 did this twice within 5 minutes traveling down a highway doing 80 mph!! Not fun!! so i decided to take the tank apart and found the long convuluted fuel hoses had a small leak!! I replaced and havnt had the problem yet but I also made some power commander changes and ran some amsoil fuel injection cleaner through it as well.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I remember last year sometime there was a thread similar to this. Couldn't tell you how to start searching for it, but it had something to do with an overheating relay. Bike would die, then start up after sitting for 10 minutes or so. The realy would cool off and then reset.

You might try pluggin your VIN# into the HD site and see if there are any outstanding recalls on it also. Here's the link to input your VIN.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

I remember last year sometime there was a thread similar to this. Couldn't tell you how to start searching for it, but it had something to do with an overheating relay. Bike would die, then start up after sitting for 10 minutes or so. The realy would cool off and then reset.

You might try pluggin your VIN# into the HD site and see if there are any outstanding recalls on it also. Here's the link to input your VIN.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...bmLocale=en_US
My recommendation is somewhat similar...maybe the same. I've heard reports of similar symptoms when the main circuit breaker starts wearing out...The current passing through it makes it hot, then trips itself out. After the bike has had a bit of time off for the relay/breaker to cool, it will work as normal.

In either case a couple of electrical substitutions for a little outlay of cash should give you the peace of mind that neither of those will fail on your trip.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 AM
bonez
Advanced

^that is the ugliest windshield ive ever seen

Quick Reply: Engine died on Mother's Day