Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016 | 07:25 AM
greggmig
|
Cruiser
Default External Breather

I just finished installing my external breather on my new 117 build it took a while but you can hardly notice the hoses.

Old 03-17-2016 | 07:31 AM
batman.
Road Master

I like the catch can you got for it. Where did you get it from?

Batman

Old 03-17-2016 | 07:47 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Very nice well thought out....good job

Old 03-17-2016 | 07:56 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

looks good

Old 03-17-2016 | 08:05 AM
greggmig
|
Cruiser

Thank you put all together myself. Got the breather from Jegs and all the push on fittings and hose from Omni hose. Just a little drilling and tapping and it was done. Hardest part was all the planning.

Old 03-17-2016 | 08:11 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

I copy/pasted a couple of my posts from older threads, Yours is the first I've seen with similar vents.But there is a little uphill run there that may clog eventually with the condensed gunk. I'm also wondering if your clutch cable routing will bind that way.

I still think I came up with one of the best/cleanest looking,invisible mods so far.If I do say so myself.
Copied and pasted my solution from one of the many threads about crankcase breather venting.

This is what I came up with after being unable to find any system that would work with a SE stage one backplate, I went with dual hoses parallel to bottom of rocker box covers then down to hidden catch can in cowbell. Marine shrink wrap over fittings tapped into backplate really cleaned it up.

This is why. I didn't have a lot of oil drippng, But enough to make a mess on cam cover,pipes,side cover,and front of saddle bags if I didn't clean the filter every week or so. It looks like this because the moisture and oil are being shaken like a paint mixer in the cowbell. Glad this gunk isn't going in my intake.

Originally Posted by cvaria
NICE!
Is it venting from the yellow thing in top?

Nice sized can too

I'll update things to be fair.
The filter on top is one of those copper grain packed together from an air compressor drier. More of a vent than filter.
The catchcan is from a Go-cart racing parts guy, been so long I don't remember name.
Had to remove petcock for a screw in end cap plug, As that gunk clogged it up so bad it wouldn't drain. Then after about a year I removed the catchcan because the gunk was building up on the insides like Vaseline. A real mess to clean out or it would eventually fill it up. So I put in a Y connector and ran it down between inner primary and tranny. No fuss no muss.
One more edit, I clean out the lines out when I clean the air filter.

Old 03-17-2016 | 08:12 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

That looks really good and professional.

Just one caution, since there is a lot of it that goes uphill or is angled upward instead of downward, the vent lines may fill with oil over time which will degrade it's ability to vent air.

To check that it's still venting correctly, run the engine for a bit, get it hot, shutdown and unscrew the oil fill cap. If air rushes out like air from a balloon, you know your not venting correctly.

Here's to hoping it all works fine - probably will.

Old 03-17-2016 | 08:34 AM
clovisrider
Cruiser

Really nice, clean job!

Old 03-17-2016 | 09:01 AM
greggmig
|
Cruiser

I'll keep my eye on things any oil that doesn't go into the breather will run back into the backing plate and back into the breather bolts in the head when the bike is parked on its kickstand. also I ran a hoses out of the breather to the bottom of the bike I could feel if its venting.

Old 03-17-2016 | 09:14 AM
sleighcrane
Tourer

That looks really good, the only concern I had when I did mine was to have the fittings as close to the bottom of the backing plate and the hoses running lower so the oil would drain even with the motor not running. I'm not sure if that was necessary I just wanted the oil out and away

Quick Reply: External Breather