Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016 | 04:50 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Nice Very Nice

Old 03-18-2016 | 05:03 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
That looks really good and professional.

Just one caution, since there is a lot of it that goes uphill or is angled upward instead of downward, the vent lines may fill with oil over time which will degrade it's ability to vent air.

To check that it's still venting correctly, run the engine for a bit, get it hot, shutdown and unscrew the oil fill cap. If air rushes out like air from a balloon, you know your not venting correctly.

Here's to hoping it all works fine - probably will.
Fine workmanship and a very good point. My preff is to vent everything downward as to allow gravity to assist with the process. I like the catch can idea and have used it in the past. I currently don't use one allowing it to vent to atmosphere (drip to the floor). This allows me to monitor any blockage from possible prev mentioned oil degradation.

Old 03-22-2016 | 11:50 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Looks great!

How much crud to you collect in the Air Oil Separator?

I ask because it looks like you created an airtight system. Air Oil Separators work differently than Oil Catch Cans. AOS's work by passing the contents through the inlet and having an outlet and dropping oil, water, etc into the can. OCC's work by allowing the breather pressure to push the air/oil/water/etc. through the tubing and into the can which is why there is a breather on top of the can.

Old 03-22-2016 | 12:28 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member

^ that's what I was thinking. The dip stick will blow out of tank. Very nice job but just run the tube to the ground & be done with it.

Old 03-22-2016 | 03:08 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
Looks great!

How much crud to you collect in the Air Oil Separator?

I ask because it looks like you created an airtight system. Air Oil Separators work differently than Oil Catch Cans. AOS's work by passing the contents through the inlet and having an outlet and dropping oil, water, etc into the can. OCC's work by allowing the breather pressure to push the air/oil/water/etc. through the tubing and into the can which is why there is a breather on top of the can.
Originally Posted by xcbullet
^ that's what I was thinking. The dip stick will blow out of tank. Very nice job but just run the tube to the ground & be done with it.
You guys ruined all the fun, I was looking forward to the dip stick popping out thread next.

Old 03-22-2016 | 03:36 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

I 'd like to see a close-up of the 'catchcan'.I too wonder how this system 'breathes'.

Old 03-22-2016 | 04:35 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

It looks like he has a picture of the other side with a hose running down to the ground. So it looks all good.

Old 03-22-2016 | 10:23 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser

I have a FM stage 1 a/c, and ran vacuum hose from the breather bolts to the bottom of the a/c, drilled a hole through the back plate, then used a T fitting to connect from there to a fuel hose running across the front of the engine into a catch can (from Wimmer Custom Cycle) attached to the left down tube, with optional pet **** for easy drainage. Works well, and with fairing lowers the whole set up is hardly noticeable.

https://www.wimmercustomcycle.com/Puke-Cans-1.php

Attached Thumbnails External Breather-img_0002.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016 | 06:32 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RoadsterGlide
I have a FM stage 1 a/c, and ran vacuum hose from the breather bolts to the bottom of the a/c, drilled a hole through the back plate, then used a T fitting to connect from there to a fuel hose running across the front of the engine into a catch can (from Wimmer Custom Cycle) attached to the left down tube, with optional pet **** for easy drainage. Works well, and with fairing lowers the whole set up is hardly noticeable.

https://www.wimmercustomcycle.com/Puke-Cans-1.php
Looks like that will make oil filter access pretty tough where you have yours mounted.

Old 03-23-2016 | 07:52 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I did this install on my 02 Road King. Jaz 1 Pint Mini with a HD oil tank logo.

Last edited by BigMike; 03-23-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: External Breather