Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage to lower the front ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:44 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Advantage to lower the front ?

2012 street glide with 21 inch wheel in front. Just installed Burly Slammers in rear. Would I feel a big difference in the ride/handling if I also dropped the front? Love the look, but haven't got out and rode it for any length yet, just finished the install. What have you guys done? Suggestions?
Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,953 Likes on 2,910 Posts

I don't know anything about Burly Slammers, but lowering the front end with a 21" wheel will put it back to stock height.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:17 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jqb12
2012 street glide with 21 inch wheel in front. Just installed Burly Slammers in rear. Would I feel a big difference in the ride/handling if I also dropped the front? Love the look, but haven't got out and rode it for any length yet, just finished the install. What have you guys done? Suggestions?
Thanks, Jeff
First mistake was the 21 incher up front. Then you lowered the rear? You totally ruined the ride of that bike. Who gave you this route of action? In other words.....wtf were you thinking?

James

Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,953 Likes on 2,910 Posts

Now knowing that you lowered the rear, if you want the bike to handle like stock you are going to have to remove the Burly Slammers and lower the front. If you do this the bike will handle as one that is stock even though you have a 21 wheel. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by usaf8ret
First mistake was the 21 incher up front. Then you lowered the rear? You totally ruined the ride of that bike. Who gave you this route of action? In other words.....wtf were you thinking?

James
1st of all, how was installing a 21 inch wheel a mistake? Vastly improves the look of the bike. I did get out and ride it this evening, so tell me James, how did I totally ruin the ride of the bike?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:10 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 800 Posts

James
WOW

Old 03-15-2016, 09:37 PM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
WOW
Just like some input from you guys that have dropped your front ends. I know it'll help to level the bike out and all that. But will it really make a big difference in the handling! I'm used to riding rigid and all that, so I don't need to be sitting on a Cadillac! I do like my SG though and just wanted some opinions

Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 AM
shitbox
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

James
Kinda being a ***** aren't you?
After all it is his bike.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

No experience with 21" front wheel, but the bike will handle better if level. So if you lowered the rear, lower the front to try and keep the bottom of the frame level. Of course this will all compromise lean angle, but......... Stock Sucks.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Lowering front and rear with a 21" front wheel is not a problem in handling. In fact mine tends to do a better job tracking straight at higher speeds on the interstate now. Only drawback with lowering the bike is shorter shock travel and stiffer ride. You can lower them and keep the soft ride but out front you risk hitting the fender on some parts of the bike and in the rear, if using those cheap assed lowering blocks, can possibly hit the inside fender with the tire or the shocks rub against the bags.

In the front I used the Arlen Ness 1 1/2" shorter dampner tubes, which you can use your stock springs with. I would personally recommend either running a spacer on top of the springs for more preload (about 3/4") or running the fork oil much higher in the tube than the stock recommendation. Either of these will stiffen the forks or shorten the travel. I did both on mine to avoid hitting the crossbar and oil cooler. Its stiffer riding but no problem with handling at all.

In the rear I used bitchinbaggers.com and sent my shocks to them and had them lowered 1 1/2", it actually rides better in the rear, if I don't pump a lot of air in them, and no contact of tire with fender.

Lots of ways to lower the bike, some cost more or less money or more or less work.

Quick Reply: Advantage to lower the front ?