Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortening a Garmin GPS power cord

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM
HD Mojo
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shortening a Garmin GPS power cord

I have a Garmin GPS that I use on my Road King. I also have a cigarette type power plug on my handlebars. Everything works just fine. However, the power cord for the GPS is really long and I have it bundled up and zip tied behind the unit.

I did a lot of searching and couldn't find a real good answer on how to shorten the cord. There is a cigarette plug on one end and a mini USB on the other.

I bit the bullet and ordered another power cord from Amazon to shorten.
Amazon.com: Garmin 10-24V - 2amp Vehicle Power Cable: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin 10-24V - 2amp Vehicle Power Cable: GPS & Navigation

I was expecting to find 4-5 wires in the cord when I cut it in half and was just going to use the power and ground wires and cut off the rest. The GPS I am using does not have traffic reporting.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find only 2 wires, a power and ground. This made very quick work and I was able to shorten the cord to about 12" with no problem.

The point of this post...if you have been a bit intimidated to shorten the Garmin plug in type cord for fear of all sorts of wires, don't be. If you don't have the type with traffic and just want power, it is a very easy project.

Last edited by HD Mojo; 03-14-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I use this for my Garmin on my King. https://www.3brpowersports.com/produ...d_Band_USB.php

You can plug a USB adapter in your power plug. I use their TAPP USB power port plugged into the ACC. plug under the seat. Not sure they have it for the Rushmore bikes as those plugs are 6-wires. Pre-Rushmore's have 4-wires.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Mojo
I have a Garmin GPS that I use on my Road King. I also have a cigarette type power plug on my handlebars. Everything works just fine. However, the power cord for the GPS is really long and I have it bundled up and zip tied behind the unit.

I did a lot of searching and couldn't find a real good answer on how to shorten the cord. There is a cigarette plug on one end and a mini USB on the other.

I bit the bullet and ordered another power cord from Amazon to shorten. Amazon.com: Garmin 10-24V - 2amp Vehicle Power Cable: GPS & Navigation

I was expecting to find 4-5 wires in the cord when I cut it in half and was just going to use the power and ground wires and cut off the rest. The GPS I am using does not have traffic reporting.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find only 2 wires, a power and ground. This made very quick work and I was able to shorten the cord to about 12" with no problem.

The point of this post...if you have been a bit intimidated to shorten the Garmin plug in type cord for fear of all sorts of wires, don't be. If you don't have the type with traffic and just want power, it is a very easy project.

Road King rider with the same issues you were having. I was afraid to cut into the cord. Thanks for posting!!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

i just used a dual USB outlet that plugs into acc / cig lighter socket then used the USB cable that came with my GPS, its a nice short cable and works fine, and also gives me a second USB for charging my phone

Old 03-14-2016, 05:06 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

There is a wire in the housing of the headlight you can wire one of these to. This says Tom Tom but it worked on my Garmin and Magellan

Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM
HD Mojo
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Road King rider with the same issues you were having. I was afraid to cut into the cord. Thanks for posting!!!!
You're welcome.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 PM
rk08
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, I had the same issue and still have a fist of cord tied under the dash. New spring project. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:59 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,664 Likes on 1,084 Posts
Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad you overcame fear and got it done.

I'm probably going to sell my 1490 because it had that same type connector and it would vibrate loose enough and quit charging the unit. I since bought an 855 with a charge end completely different. it locks into place.