Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet ??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
vinniez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet ??????

Helmets? Ok so living in the great state of California we are required to wear a helmet because our government wants to take care of us. So with that said I am looking for a helmet that is comfortable enough to wear all day. I figure that if I have to wear one then it might as well be a good quality one that offers the best protection that there is. We currently have HJC’s and just got back from a 2500-mile trip and hate them. They are noisy, and uncomfortable. So what do you all have. I am looking for the type that the front opens up. [8D]

Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master
Default RE: Helmet ??????

You are going to have to get use to the Noise because they are all noisey, just some more then others. I have 5 Helmets 2 Non DOT I Harley/HJC Open face 1/2 and 2 Full Modular Flips and they are all noisey.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 PM
jensen5569
Intermediate

You should specify some things first...like what type of helmets did you use (full, half, beanie?) and whether or not you use a fairing/windshield. A full face will block out more noise than others, and a windshield will cut wind noise (of course the height of the windshield will cause a variance on that as well.) There will be trade-offs to consider depending on which route you go, but tell us what ya got first.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Helmets are a very personal item - they are for Protection - you first have to decide what level of protection you are willing to live with. And what shape head you have - it can be very confusing to say the least. I have been a firefighter now for over 34 years - the full face feel right at home for me (firefighting SCBA) My wife has only worn a full face for 11 years... she does have a 1/2 for when we are at a rally but she does NOT like the hot wind or bugs/gravel on her face (her feelings) there are members here that would rather Not wear any helmet and thats their choice - In CA I have heard that the CHP will either soon or someday start cracking down on the Non COT helmets on the road - there are 1000's of them - they really serve No protection but to "for now" keep the LEO's away from you...

Like I said - been on the job for long enough to know - I want the protection - If I did not wear a full face - I would go with a 3/4.. However, if you have ever seen someone who has gone down face first with anything less than a full face - it ain't pretty...

Nothing beats the feel of riding with No helmet and I did it for years when I was in my 20's - I was lucky - never went down (and I should have many times, lol)

good luck..

If you go full face - Arai Corsair or Shoei X11

Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just have to try as many as you can. Everybody's mellon is a little different. The HJC that you find uncomfortable, is quite comfy to me and my wife. We just got full face helmets after riding for a year with 3/4's. We'll save them for the hot weather. I decided we should go full face because I have a few friends who are EMT's. They have told me stories of responding to bike accidents in which the riders have had their jaws torn away or their entire face so mutilated as to not have any real face left at all. I don't consider the odds, or criticize anyone who does not wear a helmet, but the fact of the matter is that I feel better having the protection and enjoy the ride that much more.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out the different ARAI models. They have 3 different head shapes. The round don't work for me, but the ARAI oval works well.

Some of us have more brains than most!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This site has video reviews of helmets. The reviews seem to be very independent and well done.

Helmet Reviews

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jensen5569

You should specify some things first...like what type of helmets did you use (full, half, beanie?) and whether or not you use a fairing/windshield. A full face will block out more noise than others, and a windshield will cut wind noise (of course the height of the windshield will cause a variance on that as well.) There will be trade-offs to consider depending on which route you go, but tell us what ya got first.
This may be true in some cases, but certainly not all. I HATE my fullface helmet because it seems to amplify the noise from buffeting. It's as if the shell of the helmet is a drum skin. Because I hate it so much, I never wore it. Last summer I finally decided to try a half helmet, and found I like it much better...enough so I wear it fairly consistently; despite not being required to by law here. The half helmet does not impinge upon my peripheral vision, directional hearing, and is much lighter. If crosswinds are making it really noisy, I'll wear ear plugs, but otherwise, I find its more comfortable for my ears with the half helmet.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Vinneiz ,,,,,,,

I have been touring with helmets since 1978 ,,, the Arai Classic/c since 1988 ,,,,,,,,,

in my opinion ,,,, the Ara classic/c is by far ,,,, the most comfortable helmet ever made (fit, finish, attention to details etc),,,, still is today ,,,,, and if you are going to install an integrated headset into it ,,,, the audio performance will exceed all others ,,,,,

not sure what else to say ,,,,,

go to the Arai page at www.jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

best regards ,,,,,,,

Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Helmets are a very personal thing, hard to recommend to someone else cuz all our heads are different in shape, etc. My full face helmet is an Icon "Mainframe" and I like it. After 18 months of daily use in all weather it's held up well and is comfy for me. It's vented and new face shields are quick and easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Helmet ??????