Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 PM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley

JMJOHN / tizone

Thanks for the replies and the info. It is good to know about the inability of the HD Bluetooth module to connect with the ZUMO Bluetooth.So much for an industry standard to ensure compatibility!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

jlelliott ,,,,,,

yes I agree ,,, but remember ,,, the garmin uses what is termed as a "piconet" as it can link to both the cell phone and a headset at the same time ,,,,,,

and I wonder if the Harley Bluetooth module might not have the correct Bluetooth headset software in it to respond to the Garmin Zumo550 "looking" for a headset ?

the Harley module might ONLY be programmed with softwareto link withthe "dongles" used on cell phones ,,,,,

Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM
dllongsr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JMJOHN,

I bought a 2007 FLHTCU and was thinking of adding the bluetooth module to my audio system. Do you have this system? How does it work with your bluetooth phone? The system is designed to link directly with your supported bluetooth phone correct?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
bigdognc
Advanced

OK, so I have the 2007 FLHTCU and opted for the HD Navigation, and Bluetooth options. Also, I use J&M headsets, in my full face helmet, and just the J&M Boom Mike on my half helmet (using the bikes speakers for the audio). This works great, my phone is on my hip, and have an mp3 player in the windshield pouch, usually an ipod. So, it sounds like an expensive way to go, but as jmjohn said, bluetooth just ain't there yet to do it any other way. First of all, the HD bluetooth module was a cinch to install, once you figure out that you need to purchase the extra wiring harness inside the fairing for another $85. Also, the module mounts in the Tourpak. I think this is because the BT operates on 2.4 Ghz, and that is the same frequency that the XM radio operates on, and having the BT module in the fairing, would interfere/desense the XM receiver. Also, the BT module is a bit large, and may not fit in the fairing, (what would you do with all that harley cable anyway? I may try to move/cram it into the fairing, as I do not have XM, and would like to have the quick detatch option for the tourpak.

The Harley BT system wipes out almost all the engine and wind noise, not sure how, if there is any active noise surpression going on here like the Bose headphones use, but it obviously has a high pass audio filter, because your voice will sound a bit tinny on the other end. I have SE slip ons, that are rather loud, and people cannot tell that I am on the bike at all, unless I REALLY get on it, and then it only sounds like a bike in the background. With my job, this works perfectly, now I can ride, and talk at the same time. Actually, it is not that distracting, I just don't pay that close attention to the conversation!

As for the navigation system, it is just a module that slips into the back of the Harmon Kardon radio, but there is no map, and the software is not that accurate, doesn't know about a lot of the secondary roads, but it is fully integrated, so when you are on the phone, listening to music, and using the nav system, the priorities are all handled well. Music stops during phone call, and nav commands still come through.

Only big issue, is that you really need to keep the nav cd in the player, so that it can re-compute if you deviate from the saved route. This is why the mps player is important, through the aux port.

Tomorrow, I will call my answering service, from the bike, which forwards my voicemails to my email as an .mp3 file, and I will upload it here, so you can hear the audio at 75mph. Trust me, it is only quieter at the slower speeds. Really awesome.

Not the most inexpensive way to go, but it works well, no muss, no fuss.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

I have a 07 UC with the standard HD Audio System. I do not have Bluetooth but would like to add a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. So you are saying, to get the voice prompts through the J & M Elite headset I would need to select the AUX option on the HK Audio Sytem Radio?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

unlike some that need a lot of this for there work ect. Imo the voice promps got real anoughing and I got better at reading/zooming on gps. similiarly with the dual bt on the zumo, thow the caller ID on the zumoisnice to see if and when I needed to call someone back. Fun toys to play with and read about for us less civilized

Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

I just don't care to talk on my cell phone when riding... They can leave a message and I'll check it when I stop.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Chilhowee
Tourer

I'm sorry to hear about the poor inegration and compatibilityof the Zumo 550 (just purchased ) and our HK systems! Guess I'll live with the compromises necessary.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jlelliott

Since this is being discussed by knowledgable individuals, will someone please answer a question for me? I have a Garmin Zumo 550 which has BlueToothcapability for navigation prompts and for cellphone. If I purchase the HD Bluetooth option for my 07 FLHTCU will it connect with the Zumo and route the cell and nav communications through the radio into the hardwired HD helmet system? In lieu of this I guess I could connect the Zumo Audio Out to the Ultra Aux In and get the audio for the Nav prompts into the helmet but I am unsure what the cell capability would be. Probably would be inop...........

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.

jlelliott

I have the Zumo 550 and it will pair the Bluetooth to a bluetooth device (cell phone or BT dongle) however, it will not send navigation and music via the BT connection, this is done through a cable that plugs in the side of the mount on the Zumo. I do not know of how well it wouold work with the HD set up, as I didn't have several $K to invest in that set up. I went with the Autocom Pro Active unit and configured it that way....And to give John @ J&M a plug the Autocom headsets SUCK so I purchased 2 sets of the Elite series headsets and they are SWEET!!! Great Product....

Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Motown_HOG
I just don't care to talk on my cell phone when riding... They can leave a message and I'll check it when I stop.
FINALLY!!! The voice of reason. When did we become a society that we have to be in touch with everyone all the time? And why? If you're waiting on that transplant, I can understand. But if you're bopping down theroad just going for some milk, who needs to be talking to anyone?

And for those people who go to the john and continue talking to someone,WTF?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Headsets on your Harley