Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 21 or 26? Advice Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Brewser80
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Andrews 21 or 26? Advice Welcomed

My tensioners are toast on my 2006 FLHTCI so I'm going to do gear drive cams and try to be done with it. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Andrews 21 and 26. Would love advice either way. I ride a combination of just 1up around town riding along with longer 2up rides with the wife.

Also, can any of you recommend which fuel tuner to go with afterward? The bike has a V&H Propipe but other than that it's been totally stock.

Thank you

Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't speak for the Andrews 26, but I ride similar to you, solo and with the wife, and I have the Andrews 21. I don't know your weight, but I am a big guy (and lucky my wife isn't big), so my bike has to move some weight. The 21 pulls like a locomotive down low. Very un off the line (which I like) and great pull when passing in 5th (or sixth if you have it). Had the bike out to the Rockies several times and the extra power is great, no issues. Some people say it dies off on the top end, but how often to you ride in that rpm range? My butt dyno says its as good, or better than the stock cam up high. I love this cam and can't recommend it enough for an 88". I puts the power in the range where you drive the most. My $0.02.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,369 Likes on 971 Posts

If I were you I'd look at the Andrews 48. I put that cam in my bike and have been all smiles ever since!!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewser80
My tensioners are toast on my 2006 FLHTCI so I'm going to do gear drive cams and try to be done with it. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Andrews 21 and 26. Would love advice either way. I ride a combination of just 1up around town riding along with longer 2up rides with the wife.

Also, can any of you recommend which fuel tuner to go with afterward? The bike has a V&H Propipe but other than that it's been totally stock.

Thank you
If you are going to address the crankshaft, are you going to up the displacement? If so, this could enter into the decision on which cam to install.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 03-10-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I can't speak for the Andrews 26, but I ride similar to you, solo and with the wife, and I have the Andrews 21. I don't know your weight, but I am a big guy (and lucky my wife isn't big), so my bike has to move some weight. The 21 pulls like a locomotive down low. Very un off the line (which I like) and great pull when passing in 5th (or sixth if you have it). Had the bike out to the Rockies several times and the extra power is great, no issues. Some people say it dies off on the top end, but how often to you ride in that rpm range? My butt dyno says its as good, or better than the stock cam up high. I love this cam and can't recommend it enough for an 88". I puts the power in the range where you drive the most. My $0.02.

I agree Pumba !! I agonized over cam choice myself between the same cams and went with 21s. This cam makes the power right in the range these motors live when riding. I had planned on doing heads and maybe boring to 95" the next winter but after riding one summer forgot all about it. I ride heavy meaning I bring a lot of stuff in the bags from tools to water, I am also a big fella at 260, with my little wife and gobs of gear this combo pulls just fine.

I went with a PCV with auto tune and love it.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Funny, I have been just working through this as well. It has been about 50/50 on what reputable brains tell me....21 or 26. I wanted to look at headquarters and woods as well...but it is soooooo overwhelming in some respects....

The biggest trick is trying to decipher how you ride and weight...

I am a moderate rider....but I am also a big guy and basically a human sail when it comes to freeway running...

Oh well...I will be watching this thread for thoughts as well...

oh and I am 6'1" 285...

Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Brewser80
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to check the crankshaft runout today (finger crossed), finally found a gauge to use. I wasn't going to up the displacement or do anything to the top end at all.

As far as weight goes, I'm just a little feller, 5'11" 180lbs. Wife's just a little shorter and lighter. She does like to pack the stuff when we hit the road though.

Thanks guys

Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

You guys should really check out the 48 cam...I went through this last year and this is the best bolt in cam Andrews makes. It is their newest design. I even called them and had an engineer recommend this over the 21 and 26

Old 03-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
You guys should really check out the 48 cam...I went through this last year and this is the best bolt in cam Andrews makes. It is their newest design. I even called them and had an engineer recommend this over the 21 and 26
on an 88ci??

Old 03-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
on an 88ci??
Yes sir. I have an 05 fatboy and I wanted the best torque I could get of just doing a cam upgrade and after about 6 months of research I went with the Andrews 48H cam, the Harley Cam plate and oil pump upgrade V thunder lifters...and a PC3 pre mapped from Fuel Moto and I have had a smile on my face ever since....I would out pull my buddy's 96 inch fatboy low...and I have a friend who got the Fatboy low S and off line I beat him..well for about 500 feet lol......The power with this cam pulls from 0 to red line....I love it.

Quick Reply: Andrews 21 or 26? Advice Welcomed