Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 1000 Mile Service Concerns

I left my 07 FLHTCat an independent service center today for the 1000 mile service. I asked if they followed the service manual and he said "not really". He showed me a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy checklist that they run though. He said they go over the bike, change all the fluids, tighten fastners, and adjust the clutch and throttle cables. The checklist seemed like a pretty basic 30 item inspection. Brakes, horn, etc.

It seemed that the sheet hadn't been updated in a few years, so it's not specific to an '07.

Is there anything in the 1000-mile inspection specifically for the 96ci motoror new transmission? He treated the 1000-mile inspection as pretty basic, like "don't worry son, we'll go over your bike and make sure everything's tight and adjusted."

I have no mechanical knowledge or specific knowledge of the 1000 mile service, so I have no idea if this is okay or if I should be concerned. Advice?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 1000 Mile Service Concerns

ORIGINAL: grinner

I left my 07 FLHTCat an independent service center today for the 1000 mile service. I asked if they followed the service manual and he said "not really". He showed me a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy checklist that they run though. He said they go over the bike, change all the fluids, tighten fastners, and adjust the clutch and throttle cables. The checklist seemed like a pretty basic 30 item inspection. Brakes, horn, etc.

It seemed that the sheet hadn't been updated in a few years, so it's not specific to an '07.

Is there anything in the 1000-mile inspection specifically for the 96ci motoror new transmission? He treated the 1000-mile inspection as pretty basic, like "don't worry son, we'll go over your bike and make sure everything's tight and adjusted."

I have no mechanical knowledge or specific knowledge of the 1000 mile service, so I have no idea if this is okay or if I should be concerned. Advice?
If you don't do it yourself there's always an element of uncertainty as to whether all the items have been covered. How well it is done depends on several factors, including whether the tech working on the bike wants to do it thoroughly and carefully. Some of the items on the list are not possible without either removing components (like the tank) or having unusual tools, like crow's feet to access certain fasteners. For me, I didn't torque some of the fasteners, but just insured they were tight--which is good enough. I would bet most mechanics do it that way, too. Lubing cables is not a fun job, especially the throttle cables, and they may just overlook that or rush through it. Personally, I would never trust my bike to anyone on routine maintenance, but I do things more slowly and with more care than most mechanics, making sure it's done right, or at least the way I want it done.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take them an 07 service manual and ask them to go by the check list in there. The service manual will also explain how to get to something if they have a problem or can't figure it out. Anyway that's what my indy mech. does.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Couple of important things:

Critical fasteners - read the manual motor mounts, axle nuts, upper engine mount bolts and many others.

Lubricate steering head bearings.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Service Manual is great, go buy one...

Motor Mounts and Jiffy - Kick Stand were loose... Change all Oils - Red Line

Front end steering head grease:I still can not figure how the grease gets into the bearings , so I let it go...

On my Motocross bikes I take the front end apart and use Red Line Hi-Temp Grease and pack both bearings, will do the same on my FLHX unless somebody has a better idea ??

Old 05-18-2007, 02:53 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason why...other than cost...you wouldn't take it to the dealer for the 1000 mile service? I could see doing it yourself, but trusting it to an independant, especially one who has an out of date checklist, seems kind of odd to me. Anyone else feel this way. After me, I'd trust the stealer more.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i don't see anything in the checklist that is 07 specific. if you're really concerned about it, go to home.earthlink.net/~skratches/2007roadkingmaint.xls and you can download a excel spreadsheet that i did up that is directly from the owners manual.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHDRIVER

Any reason why...other than cost...you wouldn't take it to the dealer for the 1000 mile service? I could see doing it yourself, but trusting it to an independant, especially one who has an out of date checklist, seems kind of odd to me. Anyone else feel this way. After me, I'd trust the stealer more.
Agreed!