Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to paint lower fairings Black Pearl??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:27 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain
Default Cost to paint lower fairings Black Pearl??

I bought a set of hoggchopps (www.hoggchopps.com)off of Ebay and for $139 extra I can have them painted Black Pearl and clearedto match my bike. I have no idea of what is a reasonable cost for such a paint job. Could somebody clue me in if this is a good price or if I should just take delivery of the primered lowers and find a local painter to spray them for me? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:54 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Default RE: Cost to paint lower fairings Black Pearl??

139$ is VERY reasonable. A pro paint shop that is set up to paint bike parts would charge 200 - 300$

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:59 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

I'd just make sure it is the HD Black PERL. and not their interpretation of Black Perl. $139 almost sounds too 'cheap' ... as in ... what is gonna be wrong with the paint job. I would have expected .... somwhere around $225 or so. Just make sure you know what you are gettin for $139. (ie color, clear-coat layers...etc).

Sound too good to be true??? I dunno ... almost to me but look forward for the update on it if you get it. Love to see the pics if you have them paint 'em so we can see how good they look!

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:59 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

139$ is VERY reasonable. A pro paint shop that is set up to paint bike parts would charge 200 - 300$
I agree. Based on my painting experience that is very reasonable; plus you don't have to run around getting quotes, delivering, and pickingup.

Old 05-14-2007 | 01:34 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give them a try and see what happens. They told me it will take 10-14 days to paint them and deliver to my door. I'll update when I get them.

Old 05-14-2007 | 01:59 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

WOW.... ONLY $139.00.... Do it!!!

Friend had his done at a local Body Shop after shopping around best we could find was $200.00 "CASH" and had to wait 2 weeks to get them back - But then again were in Ca and labor rates may be higher then some other places

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

List price on a quart of paint and activator from HD is about $100. And that's the smallest quantitiy HD will sell you of the original color.

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:33 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

List price on a quart of paint and activator from HD is about $100. And that's the smallest quantitiy HD will sell you of the original color.
This is what I wanted to know. Theyrepresentative for HoggChopps told me that the $139 cost basically "covers the cost of the paint and clear coat". They basically make their profil from the actual lowers since them manufacture them in house. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:46 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Have you thought about painting them yourself? It's not hard--a couple coats of color followed by a couple of coats of Dupli-color clear that you can buy at any auto parts store and you're in business.

You can get Black Pearl paint here: http://www.cyclecolor.com/ I scuffed up the lower part of a saddlebag and repainted it myself and you have to look really hard for the line where the masking tape was, otherwise it's invisible. The color match was perfect and it came with excellent instructions. Seems like a can of aerosol was $35 shipped.

Old 05-14-2007 | 04:47 PM
sped
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I bought a set of hoggchopps (www.hoggchopps.com)off of Ebay and for $139 extra I can have them painted Black Pearl and clearedto match my bike. I have no idea of what is a reasonable cost for such a paint job. Could somebody clue me in if this is a good price or if I should just take delivery of the primered lowers and find a local painter to spray them for me? Thanks.
I got a set painted by the good folks at Hogg Chopps and the match was dead on. Even the guys at my dealership were im pressed with the match and the quality of the product. No financial interest, but I'm a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Cost to paint lower fairings Black Pearl??