Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25k Budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
All you guys suggesting 'Last Years Model' - there was no Road Glide Ultra in 2015.
Because he also mentioned a Electra Glide Ultra. I am pretty sure everyone knows there was no RGU in 15

Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

If you can figure out how to title in Montana, no sales tax. You would need an address. In addition tags once purchased are permanent so only have to buy em once.

Dealers here have a lot of inventory

Logistics are difficult but to save a few grand maybe you need to think outside the box.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

wife is right. buy new. Warranty, brakes, tires, your choices of color etc....Folks talk about beating the depreciation but new to three year old depreciation cost, is close to a 2 year old bike to 5 year old year depreciation cost. Worse if a newly revised model comes out.

Also, cash is always king. Mentioning a cash sale does not detract from a deal because those who need to finance must go through a eligibility process, and may fail. But yes, banks and dealers make money on financing.

Watch the reality shows on tv where the buyer whips out a roll of cash and seller 'lays down' fast.

BTW, your wife ROCKS

Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
I have financial approval from the bank *cough* wife to spend up to 25k cash on a new touring bike. I've decided at this point/age in my life i want comfort, wind protection at the front line for preferences. Is a Road Glide Ultra doable at 25k or below OTD? I want the tour pack and lazy boy seat for when the wife rides with me 2-3 times a year. Electra Glide Ultra Classic could be a second option but i really like the new Road Glides. I personally am not thrilled at paying the drive out the door depreciation cost myself but she says go new for the warranty pretty much. Not looking for a Road King or Streetglide even though they are both beautiful machines. Like i said i will be walking in with a check and leaving with no debt. I'm interested in knowing if any touring bike riders have made the great deal on a new bike. What did you pay for your new 2016 RGU or EG? TIA
Harley dealers may not disclose the facts that they are actually losing money and not moving their motorcycles like they used to. Harley has been focusing too much attention on their apparel line instead of what’s more important, the rider. Don’t focus too much on freight, prep, msrp cost. Harleys have a HUGE mark-up from factory to showroom sales. You are the customer and YOU Sir, are in charge. Don’t call the dealership, go in person. Tell them your needs and that you are cash paying customer and they can’t meet your needs then you’ll go elsewhere, it’s that simple. I purchased a 2015 RGS for 19k out the door~ and I traded my 2014 SGS for $17,300… Do the math~ Dealers will always make a profit, regardless of the best deals you or anyone gets. Best of luck~

Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Harley dealers may not disclose the facts that they are actually losing money and not moving their motorcycles like they used to. Harley has been focusing too much attention on their apparel line instead of what’s more important, the rider. Don’t focus too much on freight, prep, msrp cost. Harleys have a HUGE mark-up from factory to showroom sales. You are the customer and YOU Sir, are in charge. Don’t call the dealership, go in person. Tell them your needs and that you are cash paying customer and they can’t meet your needs then you’ll go elsewhere, it’s that simple. I purchased a 2015 RGS for 19k out the door~ and I traded my 2014 SGS for $17,300… Do the math~ Dealers will always make a profit, regardless of the best deals you or anyone gets. Best of luck~
I actually prefer the RGS for the sole fact i ride solo 99% of the time. I would prefer a detachable backrest for my passengers riding needs. I can't justify 5-6k more for alot more weight and a trunk. You are right. Cash talks and BS walks to a serious seller. Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Cash talks and BS walks to a serious seller.
i kind of agree....go in, get your best deal and if its not what you thought it should be throw the BS flag and find another dealer. when i got my 2013, i financed it through the credit union. i already was preapproved and walked in and talked to them about a 103. i got what i thought was a real good price on my trade in so we didn't dicker about the floor price. love the bike. thinking about a new road glide ultra but i haven't decided to take the plunge.......but they sure are sweet. good luck.....at least you are good with the bank

Old 02-28-2016, 11:12 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,263 Likes on 4,437 Posts

I'm with you on this mentality. Of course when you are looking at an investment of over half a years salary warranty is critical. I'm going to throw 25 grand cash at 4 local dealers for and OTD for a 2016 RGU and see if they bite or send me away. In that case i will get me a barely ridden 2015 for right at 20k easy. i win either way. Thanks for your reply.
You may want to try getting them to Finance the bike with a total of 25K. Then, pay it off on the 1st payment... they may give a better deal this way over cash..

Old 02-28-2016, 11:20 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

A lot of Dealers sell Bikes out of their rental fleet at lower prices with warranty, just saying.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hattitude
You may want to try getting them to Finance the bike with a total of 25K. Then, pay it off on the 1st payment... they may give a better deal this way over cash..
A couple years ago i walked into the dealer and he did the whole credit check spiel wanting me to drive it out the door. He said how much will you put down and i said 10k. His jaw kinda dropped and said most his clients don't put any down they sign on for HD 7 freaking year plus finance plan . In fact alot of his clients had trouble getting financed period. The sales guy didn't care how he sold the bike as long as he sold it. I never bought it. I have 7 dealers under 70 miles from me most less than 35. I just sent out quote requests. Will be interesting to see who starts with the lowest quote.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldPhat
A lot of Dealers sell Bikes out of their rental fleet at lower prices with warranty, just saying.
We don't have any HD dealers that offer rentals near me unfortunately. That would be a another great purchase option.

Quick Reply: 25k Budget