Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HALO / battery question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 AM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default HALO / battery question

How long would it be safe to leave my HALO on (headlamp off) if I was parked somewhere, engine off without seriously impacting my battery ?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanG
How long would it be safe to leave my HALO on (headlamp off) if I was parked somewhere, engine off without seriously impacting my battery ?
==================================================

Best bet is to simply send this question to the mfg along with the AH rating for current battery on your bike (Likely 30AH) & they should be able to give you some info on that.

I dont have a halo but i think its LED tech so if thats the case with only the Halo being on with fresh strong battery in your bike you should be able to leave it on quite a while & still start the bike.

But if i were you & have a charger at home why not test it out for yourself by leaving Halo light on for a bit longer then the time avg period you think you would be leaving the Halo light on & then see if the bike starts after doing that.

If it starts after that great,if not either way you have your ans.

Then after doing the test i'd recharge battery to ensure its up to full charge before heading out for a ride so it would be best to do the test when you know you will have plenty of time to do the light test & then fully recharge battery before you want to go for a ride.

BTW,they also make a device you wire up to battery that will cut off drain on the battery if voltage drops close to where restart is compromised to ensure battery isnt drained below a safe restart voltage.

Another thought,you could simply use a small rechargeable 12v battery of some kind to store on board bike someplace (or use new gen small hand held 12V lithium battery jump starter) wired with a switch to power the Halo light when bikes off to not have to worry about having restart issues.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 02-24-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==================================================

Best bet is to simply send this question to the mfg along with the AH rating for current battery on your bike (Likely 30AH) & they should be able to give you some info on that.

I dont have a halo but i think its LED tech so if thats the case with only the Halo being on with fresh strong battery in your bike you should be able to leave it on quite a while & still start the bike.

But if i were you i'd & have a charger at home why not test it out for yourself by leaving Halo light on for a bit longer then the time avg period you think you would be leaving the Halo light on & then see if the bike starts after doing that.

If it starts after that great,if not either way you have your ans.

Then after doing the test i'd recharge battery to ensure its up to full charge before heading out for a ride so it would be best to do the test when you know you will have plenty of time to do the light test & then fully recharge battery before you want to go for a ride.

BTW,they also make a device you wire up to battery that will cut off drain on the battery if voltage drops close to where restart is compromised to ensure battery isnt drained below a safe restart voltage.

Another thought,you could simply use a small rechargeable 12v battery of some kind to store on board bike someplace (or use new gen small hand held 12V lithium battery jump starter) wired with a switch to power the Halo light when bikes off to not have to worry about having restart issues.

Scott
Good information Scott.

I'd carry the Lithium jump starter in case I lost track of time

Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts

Even better. Wire a smaller gel-cell to the halo light and use a relay to put the battery in the charging circuit once the bike is turned on. This will allow the halo light to use the small gel-cell as a source without impacting the system battery at all. If you need something smaller and lighter a LiFe may work but make sure it's for use with a vehicle charging system. At least that way if you are, for some reason, detained and can't get to your bike to turn off the halo, you won't have an issue starting the bike. If it were me I'd probably put it on a timer as well.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 AM
AndyT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

I'm new to this and not sure what a Halo is but I recently left my ignition switch on as had key in my pocket and when I went back to the bike about 90 mins later the battery was flat 😳😳

I thought if key fob not close to bike it will switch to secure mode but clearly not