Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King Tour w/ Backrest vs HD Detachable Backrest Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007 | 06:04 PM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default King Tour w/ Backrest vs HD Detachable Backrest Kit

Took my wife forher firstride on the Street Glide last night and she asked about a backrest. I told her I could add the detachable low sissy barwith a small back rest padfor her, or possibly a King Tour pack with the upholstered back rest on a detach kit. Any pro's and cons on this that I should know about? She loved the ride and want's to do more 2 up riding with me this summer, and that's cool with me.

Gotta get the107 kit on this ride real soon as the power with 2 up in the mountains was pretty weak. Took her (the wife) on a short mountain run yesterday for mothers day and then stopped for a nice Italian dinner. Got some points with that one! (hehe)

Old 05-13-2007 | 06:10 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: King Tour w/ Backrest vs HD Detachable Backrest Kit

The tourpak, detatchable or otherwise is much more comfortable with the wrap around backrest, than a sissy bar and backpad. It does depend on how much, how far and how long the missus wants to ride too.

Old 05-13-2007 | 06:15 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer

Had the ex on the EGC (with Tour Pak obviously) and she loved it. Took her on a buddy's softail with the low sissy and she complained that after an hour or so her mid-back was hurting from accel/decel. This time I went with the high sissy and the wife says it feels like she is in the seat. I also ordered the Tour Pak with the wrap around rest for long trips.

Buy what feels best for her, because it won't make a damn bit of difference to you and you'll probably find you're taking it off when solo anyway. Thank god for detachables.

Old 05-13-2007 | 09:16 PM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member

We were just looking at the King tour pak and I'll probably order it up tomorrow c/w the detach kit. I'm also going to order a studded tour seat fromMustang. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Before you do that.. read this..

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1510357/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

lp

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:15 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

I have seen the ebay pacs in person and I would pass on them (just my opinion)

With that said.... take a look at the chopped packs... My bike started out as a EG / wife LOVED the back rest on the tour pac set up... bought all the detachable crap and also the sissy bar with detachable... Well, she also did not like the sissy bar set up.. set that back... and after really thinking it over - we ride two up 90% of the time.... I just sent ALL the detchable stuff back... after one year with the king pack on, I just did not like the look of the big box... saw a bike with the chopped pack and fell in love.. Now that looked Cool.... so, I bought the chopped pack (solid Smokey Gold) had a very good friend paint it to match my bike and then swapped the king lid for the chopped lid (lids are the SAME) and now I have the best of both worlds...
Since then I have gone even futher and changed the bike into a RG...

first pic is bike being picked up - just to show king pack
second is EG with chopped pack
third is after sex change into a RG with chopped pack - taken at same location two years later

chopped back back rest looks a little different because that is a complete Corbin set up... "Just try and take that away from the wife" lol

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:14 AM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Nah! I've seen those eBay pacs and they are not at all for me thanks. I'll stick to the HD stuff and will definitely look at the chopped pac before I order one. Thanks guys!

Old 05-14-2007 | 06:55 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I went thru the same thing, i even considered the VIP but seen it in Person and decided to go With the HD Tour Pak. That was the easy part because i originally ordered the King Tour but after seeing the Chopped in Person with the King Backrest for the Wife i Had to Order it.

Old 05-14-2007 | 03:12 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

I got them both. Works out great because she won't ride without a backrest but we use the tourpak only for trips.

Old 05-15-2007 | 02:10 AM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member

That's not a bad idea. I might add a low profile seat for me, and keep the stock seat nearby for 2 up riding, and use the short back rest for local cruises, and the tour pac for longer trips. Thanks for that!