Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent crank/ignition/fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:58 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Intermittent crank/ignition/fuel pump

So today I replaced the top clamp on my handlebars. To do so, I removed the hand controls and ignition switch, along with disconnecting several electrical connectors. When I got it all back together, I turned the key on and engaged the starter. Cranked over ok, but wouldn't start. I checked some things, tried it again and same thing. Checked some more and tried again, this time the fuel pump didn't come on and starter wouldn't spin. Everything came back once, still wouldn't start, and since that time several attempts resulted in a no fuel pump/no crank condition. Gauges and radio get powered up with the ignition switch on, and gauges stay on in the accessory position. I tried R&R'ing the switch with the same result. I'm wondering what to check next. Everything went pretty smoothly with no surprises, and I've never had a no start condition before this. Since the kill switch disables the fuel pump I guess I'll check to see if the switch wiring is pinched, bit I don't think that it is. Any other ideas?