Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Windsplitter shield vs. LRS shield

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HD Windsplitter shield vs. LRS shield

Currently have an LRS 7" Ultra shield on the bike. I like it, however the HD windsplitter shield gives it a better look imo. Hear good & bad on it. Looking to get a 6" smoked HD windsplitter shield. Anybody running with one? And does it really split the wind to reduce buffeting? I don't mind some wind as I'm in Florida & not at the mercy of cold temps.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:57 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

My Harley dealer had some you could demo to see if you like them, I tried one and I wasn't impressed with it. Check with your dealer to see if you can do the same.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:10 AM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Save your money and go with LRS. I demo'd all the shields at the dealer and honestly they are crap... Too thin and way to expensive. I got my LRS on sale... $39 and let me tell you best money I've spent... I love it

The following users liked this post:
Hawg295 (03-29-2017)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a 2011 Street Glide. It came with a short, dark HD Windsplitter, and a taller one (tall enough that I can't look over it). I also have a medium height LRS. That's the one that stays on the bike. I recently tried the HD windshields again thinking maybe I hadn't give them a fair trial the first time. I had. The taller one does a pretty good job of wind management, but the quality of the plastic creates a "fun house" effect that can drive you nuts and (I think) is borderline unsafe. Yesterday, looking through the windshield at a guy riding a bicycle in the curb lane, he appeared as a tall man on something like a unicycle. It's that bad. The shorter dark one works okay for what it is, but if you ever need to look through it, it also gives the fun house effect.
So after re-testing both of the windsplitters, I put the LRS back on and called it done.

Last edited by Uncle Peepers; 02-20-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:17 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

I love the windsplitter it does make it to where you have to look over. Helps with buffeting where it differs from the LRS that I see in pics above is the side. WS is out about 4 inchs on the side this is what makes it not swirl back at you as much. I was going to get the deflectors on fairing but with the WS I don't feal the need. Expressway riding is way better than stock not sure if the LRS is as good . I would have tried the LRS but needed a shield to go on a trip so picked up WS at dealer

Old 02-18-2016, 11:50 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I put the 7 inch IIRC WS from harley and had it on since i put the hammock seat on. The factory wind shield was good for me with the factory seat but once i put the taller seat on i needed a taller shield right away was getting smashed in the face with wind bad with factory wind shield. I haven't tried a LRS cause I like the look of harley WS and it works. Im a short guy tho only 5.9 on a good day so that may be the difference also.

Batman

Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
My Harley dealer had some you could demo to see if you like them, I tried one and I wasn't impressed with it. Check with your dealer to see if you can do the same.
^^^ Yes...this ^^^
Try, test, demo it yourself on YOUR own bike...that's what I did and love my Windsplitter. Everyone sits different in the saddle on their bikes and wind management will be different. Just because I'm 6'3" doesn't mean my experience will be the same as the next 6'3" rider...i can be 6'3" and long in the torso while the next 6'3" rider could be the same height as me but all legs while short in the torso so head will be in a different place. Seat height, are you sitting upright or bent over forward, do you have wind deflectors or not, fork fangs, dog dish, etc...all will make a difference. Again, demo it on your own bike...won't cost you a dime.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 109 Posts

I like my wind splitter, handles better than stock at 120 and doesnt have the arp factor like the Klock Werks I have on my '03.

Just slowed from 120 on the Brickyard attached picture, doesnt the wife look happy....

Attached Thumbnails HD Windsplitter shield vs. LRS shield-120-on-the-brickyard-at-ims.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I like my wind splitter, handles better than stock at 120 and doesnt have the arp factor like the Klock Werks I have on my '03.

Just slowed from 120 on the Brickyard attached picture, doesnt the wife look happy....
I see she's hanging on to the oh sh*t bars.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta52
Currently have an LRS 7" Ultra shield on the bike. I like it, however the HD windsplitter shield gives it a better look imo. Hear good & bad on it. Looking to get a 6" smoked HD windsplitter shield. Anybody running with one? And does it really split the wind to reduce buffeting? I don't mind some wind as I'm in Florida & not at the mercy of cold temps.
I have a 6" windsplitter if you are interested. Maybe 100 miles on it. PM me. I went a different route. It was too short.

Quick Reply: HD Windsplitter shield vs. LRS shield