Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016 | 05:59 PM
zyban
|
Tourer
Default Rear Shock Advice

I want to change the rear shocks on my '07 ultra from the stock shocks.
i am not a aggressive rider and mostly ride alone 97% of the time, Do not carry heavy loads.

looking for something that will give me a comfortable ride and not bottom out at the slightest instance.

have looked at Progressive are they any good.

Old 02-17-2016 | 06:27 PM
aaa1988
Road Master

From what I've researched and read on this forum and a few others it seems like Ohlins are the way to go. There pricey but well worth it. I just ordered a set from Howard at motorcycle metal. I know there are cheaper alternatives but it seems like people end up getting the Ohlins in the long run so might as well start with them first.

Old 02-17-2016 | 06:30 PM
the warden
Road Captain

Progressives are OK, but if you really want to improve your ride to the ultimate look at Ohlins. They are more expensive, but this is a case of you get what you pay for. Call Howard from MotorCycle Metal. He is a sponsor on this forum and one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to shocks for our bikes. Based on you riding style he will guide you to what the most appropriate shock is for you and he will custom build them to your particular requirements.

Old 02-17-2016 | 07:21 PM
wparente
Cruiser

If you wait a few more minutes Scott will fill you in on the virtue of Legend products. Oh and he has no connection to the company.

Old 02-17-2016 | 07:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

I can recommend Ohlins #2 adjustable. They are fantastic on my bike.

Old 02-17-2016 | 09:22 PM
hittman
Cruiser

I like the Progressives. Much better than stock.

Old 02-17-2016 | 09:30 PM
Agrsiv
Advanced

I hated progressives. They are barely better than stock. I love my ohlins!

Old 02-17-2016 | 09:32 PM
zyban
|
Tourer

thanks for the replies so far, anyone have an idea ball park price on the Ohlins 2+2 also if I fit 12" instead of 13 will it dramatically increase chance of bottoming.

Old 02-17-2016 | 09:50 PM
whocares
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Agrsiv
I hated progressives. They are barely better than stock. I love my ohlins!
Oh man,here we go again.

Old 02-17-2016 | 10:12 PM
mongomark
Road Master

I went with the Ohlins 2.5 from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. The original shorty 12" stock air shocks were garbage. One of my first upgrades was a set of Works Steel Tracker shocks that were 13". Significant improvement over stock. My wife's got a bad back and so do I. Howard selected the proper shock springs to match our combined weight, average cargo weight and my riding style. After the spring selection handled, he matched the valving to the spring. Having such a customized fit and comparing it to an off the shelf piece which is essentially a compromise for the masses really doesn't compare. The ride quality improvement really was surprising. It didn't take long to find the sweet spot on the dampening adjustment. The price was around $700 with the discount from what I recall. My wife boasts the most about the ride improvement and as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice