Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016 | 09:14 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
You guys talking about Ohlins #2, 2+2, or 2.5, I don't see that correlation on their website
* Year Part # Type MSRP Length Stroke Image
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 159 S36DR1L $ 955 13 +-1/8 3
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 022 S36E $ 648 13 3 ¼
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 357 S36HR1C1L $ 1,574

This is what I see.
The "#2, 2+2, or 2.5" are a designation used by Motorcycle Metal to describe the various Ohlins and the way he sets them up, they are not stock Ohlin model numbers.

Go to the Motorcycle Metal website and there is an explanation for each...

Old 02-20-2016 | 11:16 AM
Bmusg
Tourer

Why the hell do people keep bringing up Ohlins Superbike prowess as proof of anything Harley related? Their single tube offerings for Harley have nothing in common with the TTX from the Superbikes. Also, pretty sure that Rea and the factory Kawi team run Showa. Does that mean our Showa air shocks are worth a damn?

Old 02-20-2016 | 02:32 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley Davidson FL suspension has no real connection to race bikes, in my opinion. I'm sure suspension companies learn from racing but different deals. The ride and handling desired on my 14 TK has very little in common with any superbike. For some reason, it seems like some Ohlin suspension owners feel it's Ohlin or nothing. I respect there opinion and can see that is the case for them; It's not the case for everyone, that does not make either wrong. All that matters is that the owner of the bike likes what they have or plan on installing, neither is wrong.

Many have taken shots at me for posting information about Legend Suspension. Howard actually got pissed because I questioned if Ohlin was actually the very best, said he won't ever sell me a Ohlin product. Guess I will have to sell my bike and stop riding? My point is that there are many good products out there, Ohlin is just one of them. For those of us that prefer an American product with different attributes we also have choices, and that does not make any of them bad. The more the information the better, wish there was a third party suspension testing available. While I Love my Legend setup my punch list might have been different than the Ohlin buyer. Again, neither is wrong. If someone is happy with stock, good for them. If someone is happy with Progressive, good for them. I enjoy reading owner reviews and manufacture data when researching a product. When someone claims they have the very best or puts another product down my antenna goes up. Based on what and who? I have never claimed Legend was the best because I simply don't know. I just know how much I like it.

NOT trying to **** anyone off, if I have, I'm really sorry. Don't wish to offend.

Old 02-20-2016 | 05:34 PM
mongomark
Road Master

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I ride solo most of the time and I wouldn't classify myself as an aggressive rider although I will bring it up to 80 on the highway and lean into a few turns but overall I like to cruise and enjoy the ride and the scenery.
My first pair was Pro Action. Can't say enough about George the owner and developer, great guy and outstanding service. The shocks were made well but the were entirely too stiff for me. We tried many different settings, none to my liking. George practically bent over backwards but in the end was gracious enough to refund my money.
Next set was Super shocks. Again I worked with the manufacturer trying to find the sweet spot but it didn't exist for me. Super shocks is a much simpler set up than Pro-Action. They don't offer any dampening and rebound adjustments. I also found them to be too harsh. I was refunded again.
At this point my 13" air shocks were out performing both the Pro action and Super Shocks on most surfaces as far as a plusher ride goes.
In NJ there are many potholes, the back roads are pretty rough so I had a lot of area to test these shocks.
One thing I will say is that the Pro-Actions did make the bike handle better but the trade off of the harsh ride wasn't worth it.
Lastly I tried Legend Revo-A's. I still have them on the bike and I'm still looking for that elusive sweet-spot. I have also dealt with the guys at Legend seeking their advice. All of the shocks mentioned were in the $700 to $800 range so when I look at what I've tried so far and weigh the expense with the result I can say, for me, it wasn't worth what I paid when I compare the difference between the shocks that came with the bike and the other 3 brands. For me, they were not worth 7-8 hundred more than stock.
I have never tried Ohlin's but at this point I have the distinct feeling I will wind up with the same result.
I am going to keep the Revo's and just ride without trying to analyze every bump hoping that in time I will accept the ride as normal and enjoy. That's what it's all about. I love being in the wind!
As I mentioned in one of my posts, I had the 12" shorty air shocks first then went to the Works Steel Tracker shocks. The Works sold to me at the time (around 2009) had 2 choices for springs. Normal and Heavy Duty. My weight at the time was around 250. I went with the Heavy Duty. After learning more about the benefit of proper sag adjustment, they were significantly better than the shorty stock shocks. With the Ohlins, there was an extensive questionnaire which required I list a number of factors including my riding style, my weight, my wife's weight and typical cargo when riding two up. Also asked was the percentage of time riding 1 up and 2 up. After submitting the questionnaire, the emailed build sheet came back and I noticed the total weight was about 30lbs higher than what I thought I listed. I called Howard and discovered my error in my input. Howard told me it's a good thing we caught this because the bike would have rode like **** (a quote). The new build sheet came back with a different spring ordered. Howard told me he'd make the adjustments to the shim stacks for dampening. After getting these shocks installed with the proper sag adjustment, dialing the rebound dampening to about 17 clicks out from 14 which is the standard setting, the suspension compliance for sharp edged bumps was shocking (sorry for the pun) Before, when we would travel on a road with a known sharp edged bump, I could feel my wife tense getting ready for it. We hit it and she was the one that commented first about how great the shocks worked. I think that because these things are so specifically set up for me, coupled with the fact that they're high quality pieces is what contributes so significantly to the ride improvement. It may seem like I've drank the kool-aid but this by far was the best modification I've made to the bike so far.

Old 02-20-2016 | 06:17 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Calling a spade a spade.

Originally Posted by scottt
Harley Davidson FL suspension has no real connection to race bikes, in my opinion. I'm sure suspension companies learn from racing but different deals. The ride and handling desired on my 14 TK has very little in common with any superbike. For some reason, it seems like some Ohlin suspension owners feel it's Ohlin or nothing. I respect there opinion and can see that is the case for them; It's not the case for everyone, that does not make either wrong. All that matters is that the owner of the bike likes what they have or plan on installing, neither is wrong.

Many have taken shots at me for posting information about Legend Suspension. Howard actually got pissed because I questioned if Ohlin was actually the very best, said he won't ever sell me a Ohlin product. Guess I will have to sell my bike and stop riding? My point is that there are many good products out there, Ohlin is just one of them. For those of us that prefer an American product with different attributes we also have choices, and that does not make any of them bad. The more the information the better, wish there was a third party suspension testing available. While I Love my Legend setup my punch list might have been different than the Ohlin buyer. Again, neither is wrong. If someone is happy with stock, good for them. If someone is happy with Progressive, good for them. I enjoy reading owner reviews and manufacture data when researching a product. When someone claims they have the very best or puts another product down my antenna goes up. Based on what and who? I have never claimed Legend was the best because I simply don't know. I just know how much I like it.

NOT trying to **** anyone off, if I have, I'm really sorry. Don't wish to offend.
Let us get something straight, I have only answered one of your many promotional posts which had nothing to do with the product you are hawking. A HD member was talking about sphrical bearings, not you. I directed my post directly to that member by name but you had to post this
No offense but, just because a gentleman from Ohlin says there mounting system is the best does not make it so for all brands. I take exception to making it sound like anything Ohlin does is always the best way and all other brands are second or third rate. It may be the best for there shocks and it might be the best in some peoples opinion, I respect that. The brands that use spherical bearings state that they are doing it best, I never buy that claim either. It's all about the overall package, how it rides and handles and the warranty should anything go bad. There is a long list of components that go into the buying decision process, easy installation with spherical bearings is just one of them. Ohlin is a great suspension product from what others say but so are some other brands.

My reply was What is the matter with you? I have never referred or tried to start or enter any part of a post you are participating in. There is no offense because I ignore your posts and what you have to say. You come on this site and on every post you are jamming your/this product down every post concerning suspension there is. Now please do not think I am offending you as I want nothing to do with you and never have. This is not my site and it is the powers who be run it the way they like. Please remove everything out of your mind that you think pertains to you from me. If you can actually read, you will see this aforementioned post is directed directly to Bmusg and has absolutely nothing to do with you. I do not wish to go over this again so move on with absolute confidence that whatever I post either after this single post will have nothing to do with you. Thank You

This post above is #48
I re-read and re-read this post and maybe my English or reading skills might be sub-par but I fail to see you get your information from? I have never answered or commented on your post to say "Howard actually got pissed because I questioned if Ohlin was actually the very best, said he won't ever sell me a Ohlin product. Guess I will have to sell my bike and stop riding? "

If you read more carefully you will see I only made my one and only post "I do not wish to go over this again so move on with absolute confidence that whatever I post either after this single post will have nothing to do with you. Thank You" That means that I did not get mad at you, never answer or heard you ask "if Ohlin was actually the very best", I never said "he won't ever sell me a Ohlin product", I have read your posts and have not commented on anything you ever had to say. If I had, please quote this but if the Government must unlock your Apple cell phone to extract this proof than I suppose we all will have to take this at face value.

I sponsor this site which costs real money every month. I do not hawk products like you do, one who does not pay, I only provide truthful information. I am the guy who started putting Penske racing shocks on HD's right on this site, read your history. I chose racing shocks because of my experience using them. Racing shocks react and move very fast, this cost money to design and manufacture. There are so many here who do not understand that concept and see a shock that looks like a real shock on the outside, but they plain do not work or have the attributes as a real shock. Why would I wish to discuss this with someone who has no training, experience, or education in this field? Like yelling into an empty can and expecting to receive an intelligent answer. Please let this be the last post from you concerning you.

Old 02-20-2016 | 08:48 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Have no desire to get into any pissing match, and agree that Howard knows more about suspension than I do. What is at issue is that Howard takes everything personal when someone post support for other products. As he said, he is a sponsor and I guess that means to him that other products should not be brought to light because as he said they may be " one who does not pay".

This is what Howard posted " Now please do not think I am offending you as I want nothing to do with you and never have." I would assume nothing means nothing, no business as I suggested. You have absolutely no worries about this, would not put your products on my bike for free. Not because the product is bad.

I will only post legitimate reviews and important information regarding products I have used. Nothing I post is meant to be personal. I do wonder why someone gets so upset when they have such a great product, competition should not be a issue.

Old 02-20-2016 | 09:34 PM
mongomark
Road Master

Have no desire to get into any pissing match, and agree that Howard knows more about suspension than I do. What is at issue is that Howard takes everything personal when someone post support for other products. As he said, he is a sponsor and I guess that means to him that other products should not be brought to light because as he said they may be " one who does not pay".

This is what Howard posted " Now please do not think I am offending you as I want nothing to do with you and never have." I would assume nothing means nothing, no business as I suggested. You have absolutely no worries about this, would not put your products on my bike for free. Not because the product is bad.

I will only post legitimate reviews and important information regarding products I have used. Nothing I post is meant to be personal. I do wonder why someone gets so upset when they have such a great product, competition should not be a issue.
What I notice is Howard tends to respond only when his name is interjected into the discussion, not when someone is talking about alternative products. Your inference that in his post that he "wants nothing to do with you and never have" that he's unwilling to sell you an Ohlin's product is a play on his words. In his post, he clearly states that he never said that, not that he needs anyone else to defend him. It seems odd to me that by taking a comment out of context and applying a different intent to it when it was exceptionally clear what he was trying to communicate indicates more about who's motivated by what in this exchange. I'm sure that if you refrain from mentioning him in your posts, you'll very likely enjoy a lack of response from him, if that's truly your desire.

Old 02-20-2016 | 10:07 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

Preload adjustment is overrated. Reading this thread I realize people don't understand this setting. Adjusting the preload does not make your suspension more firm or soft. Preload is set by screwing one end of the spring mount to change the compression of the spring, raising or lowering your cycle. The object is to to have 25% to 30% of the spring suspension compressed when you are sitting still. This way if you hit a bump or bottom of a dip you have 70% to 75% of your suspension to compress before your suspension bottoms out. Likewise if you crest a hill you will have 25% to 30% of your suspension to extend before it tops out. If your preload is not set properly you will not notice any handling or ride differences EXCEPT that your suspension will bottom out or top out too easily.

Preload does not change the spring rate of the suspension.

Compression dampening and rebound dampening are much more important to your ride quality and handling.

Old 02-20-2016 | 11:32 PM
Bmusg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Preload adjustment is overrated. Reading this thread I realize people don't understand this setting. Adjusting the preload does not make your suspension more firm or soft. Preload is set by screwing one end of the spring mount to change the compression of the spring, raising or lowering your cycle. The object is to to have 25% to 30% of the spring suspension compressed when you are sitting still. This way if you hit a bump or bottom of a dip you have 70% to 75% of your suspension to compress before your suspension bottoms out. Likewise if you crest a hill you will have 25% to 30% of your suspension to extend before it tops out. If your preload is not set properly you will not notice any handling or ride differences EXCEPT that your suspension will bottom out or top out too easily.

Compression dampening and rebound dampening are much more important to your ride quality and handling.
I think your confusing force and spring rate. F=kx. True enough that you don't change the spring rate by extending or compressing the spring but you certainly change the starting force the spring is applying to the bike. Also, I think most would consider bottoming a significant ride issue.

Old 02-21-2016 | 01:03 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
You guys talking about Ohlins #2, 2+2, or 2.5, I don't see that correlation on their website
* Year Part # Type MSRP Length Stroke Image
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 159 S36DR1L $ 955 13 +-1/8 3
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 022 S36E $ 648 13 3 ¼
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 357 S36HR1C1L $ 1,574

This is what I see. Maybe this is an old website as they only list up to 2012 Ok never mind, I see those numbers come from Motorcycle Metal identifying the different variations
Given you live in Cal, you should call Works Performance in So Cal. Works, like ohlins, custom builds every shock. Spring rate, damping and shock length (shocks are built in 1/4" increments) per riders request. Works is very easy to deal with and have a ride quality guarantee. They will rebuild the shock for free if not satisfied. Their shocks also cost less then Ohlins and are made in USA, if that matters to you.

imo the reason so many like Ohlins is because it is a custom built shock. Same as Works. Built per riders weight, ride preference (damping), 1up/2up, and desired length. Getting a non custom shock, which the other shocks mentioned in this thread are, is a hit or miss or near miss... One rider may like it, another not so much. Again, it depends on the riders weight, riding style, shock length and the shocks characteristics.

Given I prefer ride quality over looks/slammed, I have 13.5" Works Steel Trackers on my 11 RK. They provide 4" of travel!! These with race tech springs and valves in the front, nothing more is needed.

Originally Posted by mongomark
As I mentioned in one of my posts, I had the 12" shorty air shocks first then went to the Works Steel Tracker shocks. The Works sold to me at the time (around 2009) had 2 choices for springs. Normal and Heavy Duty. My weight at the time was around 250. I went with the Heavy Duty. After learning more about the benefit of proper sag adjustment, they were significantly better than the shorty stock shocks.

Good you mentioned this. Works Steel Trackers are custom shocks now. Have been for a couple years.

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
... Adjusting the preload does not make your suspension more firm or soft.

Exactly right!

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice