Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016 | 03:38 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer

I'm with streetrunner, from my experience with pro action he is dead on.

Old 02-19-2016 | 03:46 PM
scottbob99
Tourer
Cool

Second the Ohlins from Howard. Very helpful in selecting a shock and setting them up. I told him that money was basically no object and was ready to buy the most expensice shockm he had. He asked questions about how and what I ride and sold me the #2 adjustable at a fair price.

Old 02-19-2016 | 04:53 PM
Hukamosh
Cruiser

No offense Streetrunner but either your spring rate, valving or adjustments (compression and rebound) are not right; spring rate/preload and valving is VERY important. You may not realize it but you admit as much in your previous post. If I were you I'd do some more research and read about how shocks work and how they need to be adjusted which is one thing at a time over a known route. This can take a fair bit of time. tj316 knows what he's about and speaks from tried and true knowledge.
I think if you tried the Ohlins you would have your eyes opened but understand your reluctance after the cash you've put in thus far.
Just because your experience is a bad one doesn't mean your word is above all and correct. I believe your just a bit out of your depth in this area.
I hope you don't quit trying to straighten out your ride as it is worth the time in my opinion. Hope you have many happy miles ahead.

Old 02-19-2016 | 09:18 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hukamosh
No offense Streetrunner but either your spring rate, valving or adjustments (compression and rebound) are not right; spring rate/preload and valving is VERY important. You may not realize it but you admit as much in your previous post. If I were you I'd do some more research and read about how shocks work and how they need to be adjusted which is one thing at a time over a known route. This can take a fair bit of time. tj316 knows what he's about and speaks from tried and true knowledge.
I think if you tried the Ohlins you would have your eyes opened but understand your reluctance after the cash you've put in thus far.
Just because your experience is a bad one doesn't mean your word is above all and correct. I believe your just a bit out of your depth in this area.
I hope you don't quit trying to straighten out your ride as it is worth the time in my opinion. Hope you have many happy miles ahead.
I agree to disagree with you. I have run over the same pavement hundreds of times for comparison sake with a controlled environment to the point of having and achy back. I have questioned spring rates and tried many many combinations of sag and rebound etc and have had direction from the developers of the shocks. As a matter of fact I even had a few conversations with Howard.
I think you are missing my point. I'm not saying that the aftermarket shocks are not better than stock, what I am saying is that in my opinion they are not worth the investment. My expectation my be higher than what others expect. So for me, I'm not satisfied.

Old 02-19-2016 | 10:05 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hukamosh
The thing is shocks shouldn't be that difficult to dial in or require an engineering degree to make them ride like an $800 shock should on a standard everyday mc by any average rider.

Our roads are pretty bad from cmv's and poor construction practices. I wasn't looking to make my RK race ready, just a better ride and like Streetrunner stated most if not all aftermarket shocks don't live up to all the hype and money they cost over stock. I have only tried pro action and I totally agree with him. They're good, but not that good for the purpose I bought them for.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 02-19-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2016 | 11:01 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Rear Shock Advise

Streetrunner, After reading about your trials with different brands of rear shocks I was wondering if you ever heard of, or considered Hyper-pro performance shocks ?

Here is their web page = http://hyperpro.com/en/shocks/

EPM Performance is right in Englishtown N.J., they are a distributor of Hyper pro shocks.

Here is their web page = www.epmperf.com

Hyperpro are a high quality Dutch made shock. I've read reviews on them and they are very well respected in the performance bike market. BMW riders rave about them. They have recently developed A line for Harley Davidson machines. Maybe, since you live in N.J. epm performance may be able to help you out with the set-up and ride quality you are seeking. Thought it might help you.

Old 02-20-2016 | 06:08 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I am about done with chiming in on these threads because suspension is a very personal thing.

I don’t drink the “kool-ade” and bow to Howard although I am huge Ohlin’s fan and have used their products for years on other bikes. I do think that Howard knows his **** and stands behind an outstanding product.

I currently run Pro Actions and love them. Great American company and very knowledgeable guys working there. I have the newer version that has the valving adjustment that Streetrunnner mentioned. I think if he had the newer valved version he might have fared better but if you listen to what he is saying about how he rides it is a moot point. Solo, not aggressive and a pretty light rider.

I ride aggressively when I am solo 240# and ride about half the time two up (not aggressive or I would get shot). When you ride with a passenger the rear end becomes a lot more important. Harley’s suspension from the factory sucks and I attached a picture to illustrate what happens when you push one hard through a corner. I was solo with 40psi in the rear, stock front. The spring rate and damping are too soft and it doesn't recover under compression like it should. The problems are front and rear.

Some people are fine with the stock set up and some want better performance. Addressing both ends results in a better handling and safer ride. It will never ride like a Cadillac with 3” of travel directly on the shock.

IMO is understand how you ride and what you want from the bike in realistic terms. The more adjustment you have available the better.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Shock Advice-pipes.jpg  

Last edited by todd-67; 02-20-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2016 | 06:12 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wscott
=====================

FYI,there are 2 diff Scott's often posting here in HDFroums but i have a feeling your referring to me
Now that is funny. I wasn't referring to you. This isn't an oil thread.

Old 02-20-2016 | 08:29 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

I see your dragging your pipes. Looks to me you might have the wrong tool for the job. Harley's 32 degree lean angle isn't really that impressive.

Originally Posted by todd-67
I ride aggressively when I am solo 240# and ride about half the time two up (not aggressive or I would get shot). When you ride with a passenger the rear end becomes a lot more important.

Old 02-20-2016 | 09:02 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer

You guys talking about Ohlins #2, 2+2, or 2.5, I don't see that correlation on their website
* Year Part # Type MSRP Length Stroke Image
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 159 S36DR1L $ 955 13 +-1/8 3
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 022 S36E $ 648 13 3 ¼
FLH/FLT*** 1998-2012 HD 357 S36HR1C1L $ 1,574

This is what I see. Maybe this is an old website as they only list up to 2012 Ok never mind, I see those numbers come from Motorcycle Metal identifying the different variations

Last edited by NAILIT RK; 02-20-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice