Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016 | 06:25 PM
ctjoe
5th Gear

I put the progressive 444 on my street glide. Went with 12.5 to gain a little travel. They work for me and you really don't notice the .5" at stance.

Old 02-18-2016 | 07:30 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer

Pretty happy with the Premium Ride shocks from Harley. 100% better than the air shocks.

Old 02-18-2016 | 08:20 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by todd-67
LMAO..... It will come with internet video's and the whole nine yards.
=====================

FYI,there are 2 diff Scott's often posting here in HDFroums but i have a feeling your referring to me .

I say that because i am the Scott that takes the time to give more info with links & vids etc in many of my posts that some people hate to see .

Thats bothered some people here so much they turned me into the mods here in HDforums mult times complaining lke little school girls when all i was doing was trying to help out passing along more info them most guys bother to do which for some reason really gets under their thin skin.

But i am not the Scott that rec's Legend shocks.

scott

Old 02-18-2016 | 08:42 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
Originally Posted by wparente
If you wait a few more minutes Scott will fill you in on the virtue of Legend products. Oh and he has no connection to the company.
LMAO..... It will come with internet video's and the whole nine yards.
Holy lmao

But,,, I have to say it's because of those posts/videos that I'm planning on the Legend front end.

Right now, I have Ohlins 3-3's from Howard on order. I didn't drink ALL the kool-aid.

Old 02-18-2016 | 08:44 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wscott
=====================

FYI,there are 2 diff Scott's often posting here in HDFroums but i have a feeling your referring to me .
That would be incorrect.

Old 02-18-2016 | 08:59 PM
zyban
|
Tourer

I was unaware the oil could be changed in the air shocks????, I have never found the stock shocks to be that good that was why i am asking for thoughts on replacement shocks, most people i know and read of their experiences on other forums as well as this one usually change out their suspension as they are not happy with the performance from stock.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:47 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Rear Shocks

Zyban, I bought JRI-B's, 13 inch from Howard two years ago. I talked with Howard at length and decided on the JRI-B product.Howard knows his suspension and is a wealth of knowledge. I can tell you any quality shock be it Ohlins, Pro-Action, Legends,JRI, Super Shox are far and away better than any stock Harley air shocks. Once you install them,set the pre-load and adjust the rebound you will never question the spending of your money. You will find how poorly the front end is after you ride on some quality rear suspension. To put it to you in simple terms, you will not find and Harley air shocks on the back of any road race or flat track machines,or European touring machines.There is no comparison in ride quality and handling over stock.The owner of my local Harley dealership has # 6 Ohilns on the back of his personal machine. Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-18-2016 | 10:35 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
Oh Boy! here we go again, drinking the Howard Cool-aid! If you have a Ultra and you are bottoming out riding solo you must have either incorrect air pressure or you have a leak and there is no air in the system.
Take it from me, I've been down this road and have tried at least 3 leading brand shocks. My final determination is that none of these aftermarket shocks are hundreds of dollars better than stock 13" air shocks. Are they a little better, YES, but they are not dramatically better to say they are worth what paid for.
Those that have 12" shocks would see a larger difference because they do bottom out.
I'm currently running Legend Revo-A's and there are times I'm ready to put my stock air shocks back on.
There are many individuals that think what they have is the best because they want to believe they made a good investment. I'm sorry to sound so negative but I consider myself a realist and am just telling as I see it from my experience. I tend to be very analytical and picky.

My bike has the Revo shocks and Legend AXEO front suspension. When I first set my shock sag at 1", 1.25" of thread from the bottom I to wondered. Tried different settings until I settled on 1.5" of threads, a bit less than .75" of sag and what a difference. Does the bike ride like a magic carpet?... No. Is it a dramatic difference? Yes. I like the way a BMW or newer Cadillac rides, not a older Cadillac. If someone prefers a softer ride the stock setup might be best. I like a controlled ride, it's smoother to me. But that could be different expectations than some.

Old 02-19-2016 | 07:03 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottt
My bike has the Revo shocks and Legend AXEO front suspension. When I first set my shock sag at 1", 1.25" of thread from the bottom I to wondered. Tried different settings until I settled on 1.5" of threads, a bit less than .75" of sag and what a difference. Does the bike ride like a magic carpet?... No. Is it a dramatic difference? Yes. I like the way a BMW or newer Cadillac rides, not a older Cadillac. If someone prefers a softer ride the stock setup might be best. I like a controlled ride, it's smoother to me. But that could be different expectations than some.
The guys at legend told me to just set the shocks so they measure 12 1/4 inches from center bolt to center bolt with my weight on the bike. I weigh 210lbs and although I haven't measured I would estimate from memory there is about 1 1/2 tread left on the top. I'll have to take a closer look latter. My preload is set at 3.

Old 02-19-2016 | 07:10 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by zyban
I was unaware the oil could be changed in the air shocks????, I have never found the stock shocks to be that good that was why i am asking for thoughts on replacement shocks, most people i know and read of their experiences on other forums as well as this one usually change out their suspension as they are not happy with the performance from stock.
Harley says the shocks are unserviceable, and many folk stop there.

Showa, the makers of the shocks, sells service parts through Honda (the Harley shocks are the same as Goldwing 1200/1500 shocks).

You can find numerous articles on the web Google searching "goldwing shock rebuild" or "showa shock oil change" and such.

There are even a few threads on this forum about changing the shock oil.

Make no mistake, if the oil is missing (and after years of service, some is), the damping is all but gone. So you get a bouncy shock that slams into its stops, instead of being hydraulically dampened, giving a smooth(er) ride.

I am not saying a stock shock with fresh oil is equal to a top line performance shock. I am will to say a stock shock in good shape will provide a pretty darn good ride for most people.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice