Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016 | 10:20 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zyban
I want to change the rear shocks on my '07 ultra from the stock shocks.
i am not a aggressive rider and mostly ride alone 97% of the time, Do not carry heavy loads.

looking for something that will give me a comfortable ride and not bottom out at the slightest instance.

have looked at Progressive are they any good.
======

FYI,in your case" looking for rear shock info & rec " thats a subject thats been to beat to death and there rae tons of threads and posts on it.

All you need to do is a forum search titled something like for example ' shocks for touring bike " or " shock rec for touring bike " or even " ohlins for touring bikes " and you will get hrs threads/posts to go thru which i have done recently.

IMHO,Bottom line is if you can afford it (i can't @ this time) i'd rec going with Ohlins spec'd & built specifically for you and your bike setup by the Ohlin master " Howard " @ Motorcycle Metal.

Ohlin shocks setup by Howard have in fact proven to be a high quality top of the line shocks for touring HD's " WHEN PROPERLY DIALED IN/ADJUSTED " which can make or break the perf of the shocks from being so so middle of the road performance to being fantastic so keep that in mind.

Unfortunately many people waste a lot of time,money & effort going thru 1,2 & sometimes 3 sets of diff mfg's shocks before finally ending the pain spending the $$$$ for the Ohlins.

I was one of those people that learned the hard way trying prog 944's that were IMHO a little better then stock after many trial & error tweaking/adjustment riding sessions.

But they were not $550-600 better & sold them shortly after getting them,lost approx $250-300 on the deal that could have gone towards Ohlins that i cant afford at this time.

I am going to play with diff wt oil rear shocks along with diff air pressure to see if i can improve it some along with also going with SE hvy oil in front forks in an attempt to improve overall ride & handling a bit.

But my semi long term goal is to save enough $$$$ to get Ohlins from Howard later this yr and early next yr.

BTW,if you decide to call Howard on ohlins make sure you 1st go to his website/motorcycle metal to rvu all the info on shock design/operation and then the descriptions of all the diff ohlin shock options he offers so you have a better understanding of what you need vs options of ohlins he offers which will help you when speaking with Howard.

Good luck & let us know what you decide to do.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 02-17-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2016 | 11:52 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

+1 on all the above. Just bought mine from Howard. The #2s are actually priced right in the same ball park as the 944s. There are more expensive models of ohlins...and those are priced in the same ball park as the other higher end performance shocks. Some say ohlins are spendy... but they are not spendy compared to other aftermarket shocks unless you are just talking about 412s or 444.

There is a post somewhere that has low end, middle, and high end performance shock models. I don't think the ohlins from Howard cost more than the other shocks that are in the same "class".

Old 02-18-2016 | 05:01 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I want to change the rear shocks on my '07 ultra from the stock shocks.
i am not a aggressive rider and mostly ride alone 97% of the time, Do not carry heavy loads.

looking for something that will give me a comfortable ride and not bottom out at the slightest instance.
Might want to consider a $20 oil change.

Old 02-18-2016 | 06:00 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wparente
If you wait a few more minutes Scott will fill you in on the virtue of Legend products. Oh and he has no connection to the company.
LMAO..... It will come with internet video's and the whole nine yards.

Old 02-18-2016 | 06:40 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks for the replies so far, anyone have an idea ball park price on the Ohlins 2+2 also if I fit 12" instead of 13 will it dramatically increase chance of bottoming.
As far as the 12" length in the 2-2, look at the stroke length between the 2-2 and 2-2(A) for the same price. You will not notice the 1/8" difference in shock length, but the stroke is much better on the 'A'.

The way Howard will build to your specs and riding style, it'll be hard to believe you'll bottom out.

Last edited by RKZen; 02-18-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 01:23 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

As many already know, I love my Legend Suspension. American Made, lifetime warranty and above all, great suspension from a manufacture that knows Harleys. Reviews from people in the industry tell the story.

Old 02-18-2016 | 04:42 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh Boy! here we go again, drinking the Howard Cool-aid! If you have a Ultra and you are bottoming out riding solo you must have either incorrect air pressure or you have a leak and there is no air in the system.
Take it from me, I've been down this road and have tried at least 3 leading brand shocks. My final determination is that none of these aftermarket shocks are hundreds of dollars better than stock 13" air shocks. Are they a little better, YES, but they are not dramatically better to say they are worth what paid for.
Those that have 12" shocks would see a larger difference because they do bottom out.
I'm currently running Legend Revo-A's and there are times I'm ready to put my stock air shocks back on.
There are many individuals that think what they have is the best because they want to believe they made a good investment. I'm sorry to sound so negative but I consider myself a realist and am just telling as I see it from my experience. I tend to be very analytical and picky.

Old 02-18-2016 | 04:47 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer

2nd that.

Old 02-18-2016 | 05:06 PM
wparente
Cruiser

I have ridden various Harleys for the last 25 years and have never found one that road good. I have adjusted from 0 to max in a few pound increments with no luck. If the ride ever came close to good it was like you were on a Pogo stick. I have drank the Cool-aid and am pleasantly surprised by the good hallucination.

The following users liked this post:
Adventure Nut (08-04-2016)
Old 02-18-2016 | 05:50 PM
albngore
Road Master

I agree with Streetrunner--you will never find the dollar value (of the spendy Ohlins or whatever others) worth the minuscule comfort advance you seek. There obviously is something wrong with the stock HD shocks you use because they will never bottom out with a normal load (unless, I suppose, you never see a speed bump coming and are traveling at 30 mph with a passenger). I chose to spend a little time changing the oil to a bit heavier weight in my stock 13" shocks--and that worked well. And I DO NOT use any air--because adding or reducing air is just a pain in the **** and it is never right. Additionally, air shocks are only HD's method of reducing cost without actually producing a superior ride. There are many things HD should be ashamed to use on $30,000 motorcycles and their stock shocks are at the head of the list.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice