Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016 | 04:09 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

I just purchased 444s Profressive and Monotubes for my 07 RKC. I will be installing once they arrive.

Old 03-05-2016 | 04:43 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottt
I fully accept that Ohlins are great shocks and that there owners are happy with them.

With due respect, I don't buy that they are the only good or even great suspension options. Personally, I am thrilled with my choice, Legend Revo shocks and Legend AXEO front suspension. For those that care, Legend is one of the great American made options out there. They also come with a Lifetime warranty and unique features that make them easier to install. Backed by great customer service.

I am not taking my bike to the track, no longer wish to drag my floorboards in the corners. Simply wanted a great riding suspension that added to my miles per day. Backed by a great company. Legend delivered for me.
Scott , where is your attachments with everyone saying how much better than Progressive they are , don't start leaving out all your propaganda now , we've gotten use to it , oh and you forgot to say you are no affiliated with them as usual.

Old 03-05-2016 | 08:21 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
Scott , where is your attachments with everyone saying how much better than Progressive they are , don't start leaving out all your propaganda now , we've gotten use to it , oh and you forgot to say you are no affiliated with them as usual.
Juvenal

Old 03-12-2016 | 01:30 PM
PorchChopExpress
2nd Gear

I am running a set of Hagon 13.5 2810s on my 2014 street bob, and I noticed a considerable change in the ride. They are custom made for my bike and weight and riding style. They are just not rebuild-able like the Hagon Nitros or Works,Ohlins.

But they do have adjustable dampers.

I paid 360.00 new for a set of custom rear shocks. I had 412s on which are ****ing junk. I weigh in at about 250.

So do the math on this shock. For the bang of the buck, best quality and ride hands down.

The following users liked this post:
steveg56 (12-04-2016)
Old 03-12-2016 | 06:22 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottt
Juvenal
????????

What's an ancient Roman satirical poet have to do with it?

Old 03-12-2016 | 07:16 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
ancient Roman satirical poet
Wrong kind of rear suspension when it relates to Roman poets.

Old 03-12-2016 | 10:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I have absorbed a lot of useful info on this thread. I have been fighting my Revo-A shocks for some time so with the info here I was able to verify that I had my shocks set properly for my weight.
After all was said and done my back was really getting abused from the rough roads around here. I decided to give up and reinstall my stock shocks. While removing the Revo's I discovered that one side was leaking oil. I called Legend to see what can be done. They were very receptive and helpful, great customer service. They said to send them back on their dime and since I have been having so much trouble they were going to send me a brand new pair rather than rebuilding the old. Furthermore they said they were doing that so that if I wasn't satisfied with the product and wanted to sell them I would be able to recoup a good portion of what I paid.
I have decided to sell when I get them so if any are interested keep an eye on the classified.
They are standard 90 spring weight and are 13".

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:30 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Default Air Head??

Originally Posted by albngore
I agree with Streetrunner--you will never find the dollar value (of the spendy Ohlins or whatever others) worth the minuscule comfort advance you seek. There obviously is something wrong with the stock HD shocks you use because they will never bottom out with a normal load (unless, I suppose, you never see a speed bump coming and are traveling at 30 mph with a passenger). I chose to spend a little time changing the oil to a bit heavier weight in my stock 13" shocks--and that worked well. And I DO NOT use any air--because adding or reducing air is just a pain in the **** and it is never right. Additionally, air shocks are only HD's method of reducing cost without actually producing a superior ride. There are many things HD should be ashamed to use on $30,000 motorcycles and their stock shocks are at the head of the list.

Right, in fact years ago with my '91 FLHS Electra Glide I asked my very knowledgeable Indy how much air I should run in the rear shocks and he said; "None, let the shocks do their job."

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:55 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Question Overload?

Originally Posted by Justin Carroll
I searched a bunch of threads, but I don't have a ton of time to read at the moment. Is there anyone who can tell me if my 96 fatboy will withstand 2 up riding w me and my ol lady. I am about 280, she is about 210. I feel like that's gonna be a strain for it. I've been riding a VTX for years and had no problem...but this is my first HD and it seems on the light side.

Check your owner's manual but I think from memory you are quite a bit over the max load limit with your 2 up there.

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:27 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Talking Getting stiffed?

Originally Posted by Bmusg
All the links you provided are basically equating stiffness to spring rate. I have never said that increasing preload changes the spring rate.

Simple question, how will the suspension that has been adjusted for 2 up (increasing pre-load) feel when the rider gets back on solo? To me it will feel "stiffer" because some of the spring deflection has been taken up by preload. If you're saying the bike will feel exactly the same no matter how much pre-load is applied, you've got different gear than I've ever dealt with.

When I bury the pre-load adjuster on my Harley Hand Adjustable shocks, the rear end doesn't jack up to increase my travel but it does ride like there is virtually no suspension at all if I'm solo. To me that is "stiffer" and all I did was increase the preload. A common complaint for Monotones is that the factory recommended 2 preload clips results in a ride that's too "stiff". I'm out.
Have to agree. The more "preload" the stiffer and harsher the ride. This truth my *ss tells me.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice