Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016 | 09:48 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by Cbb129
I'm seeing lots of Harley shocks listed on their website application page.

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagApps3.htm
I stand corrected.

I looked at this listing, which does not show Harley. http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocks2.htm

But, I thought that was a list of the specific bikes they made shocks for. Weird list, but ok. Did not realize this was simply a quick index for getting you into an area on a much larger list.

And...now Harley is there. Interesting dynamic listing thingie they have there. I've two pages open, the one I created the above link from, and the opening of that link after I posted so I could check it. They are not the same. The 2nd one lists Harley, the 1st does not.

Old 03-01-2016 | 10:05 AM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Cool Harley Premium ride hand adjustable

I got the Harley Premium ride hand adjustables fitted and am really happy with the improvement in ride quality. A (relatively) not too expensive and effective upgrade.

Old 03-01-2016 | 10:32 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

I've heard good things about Hagon shocks, and based on their website they're not nearly as expensive as Ohlins. Anyone have any experience with them or the company ?
Never heard of them. I'd call them and ask about Hagon Nitro Stainless Shocks. A custom built shock with preload and damping adjustment for $550. Also says they have a two year warranty. If you call. ask if they have a ride quality guarantee. In other words, if you are not satisfied how the shock rides, will the change springs and/or damping for free. And if they rebuild the shocks and the cost.

Old 03-04-2016 | 10:33 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
Dave , you are not correct but I'm tired of trying to explain it to you so you win by default because I'm not posting after this , you keep trying to explain to me what I already know and admit , the spring rate never changes , it can't that is consistent, yes weight is what compresses it when standing still , I never said it didn't , that's how you set the sag , however once the bike is in motion going down the road hitting bumps and holes the shock moves up and down because of terrain differences , not weight , this is the job of the shock , adding preload will cause the shock to give more resistance which will make it ride stiffer , technically the spring IS NOT stiffer , it can't be , reality because you've add preload it will ride stiffer , trust me I should run my shock with about 1" of sag , I run it with 3/4" of sag , not only does the bike sit higher , it rides much more firm or stiff what ever you want to call it , if you add preload and say your bike doesn't ride firmer or stiffer you are lieing
tj316 is 100% correct. I enjoy a good technical discussion and wanted to reread this thread today. I think what may be tripping people up is that one will typically set their preload for a specific static sag (bike sag, ride height) setting. The terminology here can get very confusing. In tj316's example, he is comparing the ride using two different static sag settings with the same spring, so yes, the ride will be either softer or harder depending upon his preload adjustment.

Using tj316's example above and if we assume a 3" stoke on his shock, by changing the preload and changing the feel (hard or soft) of the shock, he has also changed which part of the stroke is available to handle bumps and potholes. Just wanted to point this out since it might not have been obvious.
For his 1" of sag, we have 2" for bumps, 1" for potholes
For his 3/4" sag, we have 2-1/4" for bumps, 3/4" for potholes (firmer)

Another thing to keep in mind, I can have two different springs with different spring rates and each of them can be setup in the shock with the same static sag (the amount of preload for each will be different). The spring with the higher spring rate will give a firmer ride.

So how does one determine which spring to use? I believe the next step would be to measure free sag which is the amount the bike settles under its own weight. There's a typical spec given for that by a shock manufacturer to help you tune it in. When the static sag is correct and the free sag is less than the minimum recommended, you need a heavier spring rate with less preload. A lighter spring is recommended when the free sag is more than the maximum recommended.

Old 03-04-2016 | 12:24 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Using tj316's example above and if we assume a 3" stoke on his shock, by changing the preload and changing the feel (hard or soft) of the shock, he has also changed which part of the stroke is available to handle bumps and potholes. Just wanted to point this out since it might not have been obvious.
3" stroke (travel)

3" - 1" sag - 2" for bumps - 1" for potholes
What did I miss 3" = 4"
Is Sag not part of the total stroke?

Old 03-05-2016 | 06:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aaa1988
From what I've researched and read on this forum and a few others it seems like Ohlins are the way to go. There pricey but well worth it. I just ordered a set from Howard at motorcycle metal. I know there are cheaper alternatives but it seems like people end up getting the Ohlins in the long run so might as well start with them first.
That's exactly what I did, several years ago now. Shocks are a more common subject around HDF now, but even then there were members who tried around all the common brands, wasting time and money, then had a eureka moment. Ohlins are the only way to travel!

Old 03-05-2016 | 06:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

I've heard good things about Hagon shocks, and based on their website they're not nearly as expensive as Ohlins. Anyone have any experience with them or the company ?
Got them on my Sportster, the basic version, not Nitro. They're British old chap, Alf Hagon having been a top speedway and drag racer in his heyday, running lots of fuel in a supercharged JAP (that's J A Prestwich, not Japanese!) V-twin. He bought the suspension company Girling way back and has been making bike shocks for us ever since. I have Ohlins on my Glide and they are my preference, especially when riding with Mrs B and all our touring stuff.

Old 03-05-2016 | 12:24 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TSheff
3" stroke (travel)

3" - 1" sag - 2" for bumps - 1" for potholes
What did I miss 3" = 4"
Is Sag not part of the total stroke?
Static sag (bike sag/ride height) is a measure of how much your bike settles on its suspension with you on board. Your static sag is the amount of travel you have to handle potholes.

Static sag is adjusted via the preload. As has been mentioned a number of times, preload does not change the spring rate, but it does change the initial spring force.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 03-05-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2016 | 03:54 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Static sag (bike sag/ride height) is a measure of how much your bike settles on its suspension with you on board. Your static sag is the amount of travel you have to handle potholes.

Static sag is adjusted via the preload. As has been mentioned a number of times, preload does not change the spring rate, but it does change the initial spring force.
I understand - Springs..
Perhaps where I was confused is on potholes 1" - I was thinking compression and sounds like I should have been thinking decompression (top out).

Old 03-05-2016 | 04:07 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's exactly what I did, several years ago now. Shocks are a more common subject around HDF now, but even then there were members who tried around all the common brands, wasting time and money, then had a eureka moment. Ohlins are the only way to travel!
I fully accept that Ohlins are great shocks and that there owners are happy with them.

With due respect, I don't buy that they are the only good or even great suspension options. Personally, I am thrilled with my choice, Legend Revo shocks and Legend AXEO front suspension. For those that care, Legend is one of the great American made options out there. They also come with a Lifetime warranty and unique features that make them easier to install. Backed by great customer service.

I am not taking my bike to the track, no longer wish to drag my floorboards in the corners. Simply wanted a great riding suspension that added to my miles per day. Backed by a great company. Legend delivered for me.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice