Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016 | 06:45 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
So I take it that lower numbers will allow more oil to flow therefore making the shock rebound faster which will equal a softer ride.
Is that a correct understanding?
No , on most shocks turning right , like screwing in a screw , which usually is a lower number closes the needle valve , this makes more oil go through the shim stack , this will stiffen the shock and it will rebound faster , counter clock wise , like unscrewing a screw opens the needle valve , more oil by passes the shims , the shock rebounds slower and is softer

Old 02-28-2016 | 09:32 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Does it make any difference if the shocks are set up upside down like my Revo's? The oil portion (cylinder) of my shocks is on the bottom.
Maybe the reason they place the oil portion (cylinder) on the bottom is if the slider seal were to leak, the oil couldn't drain out, rendering any damping ineffective??? Plus you don't have gravity and the suspension working to push the fluid out, which is close to the brake pads, rotor and rear tire.
Again, this is just a guess. Advantages, disadvantages are probably similar to the arguments for regular forks or USD (UpSide Down) forks.

Old 02-28-2016 | 09:37 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
No , on most shocks turning right , like screwing in a screw , which usually is a lower number closes the needle valve , this makes more oil go through the shim stack , this will stiffen the shock and it will rebound faster , counter clock wise , like unscrewing a screw opens the needle valve , more oil by passes the shims , the shock rebounds slower and is softer
Thanks, I got it now. That's what Legend was trying to explain but I wasn't sure. I want my ride a little softer. I'm currently set at 3, I will try 4 or 5 and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2016 | 09:42 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

So I take it that lower numbers will allow more oil to flow therefore making the shock rebound faster which will equal a softer ride.
Is that a correct understanding?
Dampening affects how quickly the suspension moves.
Compression dampening controls how fast the suspension compresses when you hit a bump.
Rebound dampening controls how fast the suspension extends after a bump or when you hit a dip.
Setting the dampening low may seem to give a more plush smooth ride when you are riding down a strait road. But then when you hit some bumps the the tire may want to bounce and if the if the dampening is set too low the suspension may feel washy washy. It's even possible for the tire to come off the ground if the dampening is set too low. So it's important to remember that dampening has a big affect on control and even traction.
Remember the rebound dampening controls how fast the suspension extends so if you set the dampening higher you may get rid of the wishy washy feel but if you increase the rebound too far then the tire may not be able to extend before the next bump.
It takes trial and error to find that happy medium.
You really know you have the dampening set right when you are going around a fast sweeping turn, hit some bumps and the bike still tracks where you direct it.
Here's a link that may help: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/su...-about-damping

Last edited by Durango Dave; 02-28-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2016 | 03:10 PM
TURQ
Tourer

Subscribed

Old 02-29-2016 | 05:03 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bmusg
Why the hell do people keep bringing up Ohlins Superbike prowess as proof of anything Harley related? Their single tube offerings for Harley have nothing in common with the TTX from the Superbikes. Also, pretty sure that Rea and the factory Kawi team run Showa. Does that mean our Showa air shocks are worth a damn?

Old 02-29-2016 | 05:13 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tj316
Bsmug , it is stiffer , while adding or reducing preload will not change the spring rating it will stiffen or soften your suspension. When you add preload it will take more initial force to compress the spring , the spring will also then rebound faster , when you decrease preload it takes less initial force to compress the spring and like wise it will rebound slower , this doesn't change the spring rating but adding tension (preload) does change the way your shocks react . FYI regardless of brand of shocks the softess spring you can use with extra preload will always ride smoother than a stiffer spring with less preload , so if you are boarder line between two spring rates with your weight go lighter.
Good advise!

The springs Ohlins selected for my bike were so stiff preload was like two turns from loose and then if I hit a bump it would cause HUGE pain. Reduced the rate based on recommendations from TJ and it was better.

Old 03-01-2016 | 07:18 AM
Cbb129
Cruiser

I've heard good things about Hagon shocks, and based on their website they're not nearly as expensive as Ohlins. Anyone have any experience with them or the company ?

Old 03-01-2016 | 08:08 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by Cbb129
I've heard good things about Hagon shocks, and based on their website they're not nearly as expensive as Ohlins. Anyone have any experience with them or the company ?
They don't list Harley as a bike they have shocks for. The shocks they do show and the bikes they describe them for are all substantially lighter bikes.

Old 03-01-2016 | 09:17 AM
Cbb129
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
They don't list Harley as a bike they have shocks for. The shocks they do show and the bikes they describe them for are all substantially lighter bikes.
I'm seeing lots of Harley shocks listed on their website application page.

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagApps3.htm

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Advice